What's new

trying to learn how to Use a Hitbox

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Quick question I am super good with instant airs on pad with my Liu Kang how do I do them on hitbox because I'm up bk F 1 and it does not pop out at all -_- and should I have input shortcuts on @Scott The Scot
To do instant airs in MKX is different from what you can do in MK9. You need to press up, back, forward, input (can't remember what it is lol) really quickly. You need to make sure you're fast but precise and it will take some practice. Especially since your still new to hitbox lol.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Quick question I am super good with instant airs on pad with my Liu Kang how do I do them on hitbox because I'm up bk F 1 and it does not pop out at all -_- and should I have input shortcuts on @Scott The Scot
Do the input slow at first and then gradually get faster with that input motion and remember how that feels. The more consistently you do them the fast you should go until you get that instant air. Also remember that Liu's iA fireball hits the way it does because of hit advantage so iA fireball will come out slower because you're not hitting him. Also having input shortcuts help too.

Always practice both sides of the screen too for proper development of muscle memory.

Your motion would be thump (1), back (2), F1 (3), for his instant air. Also be aware that if your too fast with an input like f4db2, because of the efficiency you'll get f4, and then two downward diagonals as opposed to a clear db motion. This occurs when you're pressing too fast and not releasing a previous movement before the other. That's what others means when they say you might need to slow down if you're doing them too fast. @HazeXIII

Last edited:
Thanks @Scott The Scot it just feel awkward
Hi mr hazeIII, just got a hitbox today, I see you got one last year at this time, did you adapt to it, if so can you give me any advise, do you think anyone can learn to use it efficently, iam an older player so I do not have the reflexes I did 30 years ago in my twenties, any help/advise would be very much appreciated, than you for you time, Scott r

Learning Hitbox is about relearning. It feels very unnatural at first but after a while that goes away and it starts to feel normal.

One of the biggest problems is that most controller users regardless of stick and pad are only doing a few things at once. Moving the stick/pad and also pressing 1 or 2 and occasionally 3 buttons at once. With a hitbox you are pressing many buttons at once. I liken it to playing a piano. Your brain is thinking in a multitasking way that is just not capable of some people. it is the al joke.. can you whistle hope rub your tummy and pat your head. Same kind of thing.. you are doing so much at once that you get all flustered.

Again, it is just practise. Still I suspect that some people will never be able to use a hitbox.

I experimented with using that button for block in MKx. hehe
Hi, I am in my early fifties, just got a hitbox, my reflexes are not what they use to be, but I am still pretty speedy, do you think a person of my age, and also just learning mkx, should I stay with a d pad, or do you advise me to take up the hitbox, which would be best for me, thanks for your time scott r

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Still trying to find a video of a top sf player using a hitbox.

I think I'll be looking for a long time.
Nuckledu uses a PS4 pad which is widely considered to be an awful pad. Stick is not the best,neither is a hitbox. It's just preference man..

Hi mr hazeIII, just got a hitbox today, I see you got one last year at this time, did you adapt to it, if so can you give me any advise, do you think anyone can learn to use it efficently, iam an older player so I do not have the reflexes I did 30 years ago in my twenties, any help/advise would be very much appreciated, than you for you time, Scott r
Hey. Ive been playing with a hitbox for a couple months now. What has helped me tremendously with learning the inputs cleanly and developing muscle memory, is i turn on the input data to show on screen, then completely ignoring what my character is doing and just watching the inputs, i slowly go through the proper sequences, speeding up as i grow comfortable with them. Hope that helps

Hey. Ive been playing with a hitbox for a couple months now. What has helped me tremendously with learning the inputs cleanly and developing muscle memory, is i turn on the input data to show on screen, then completely ignoring what my character is doing and just watching the inputs, i slowly go through the proper sequences, speeding up as i grow comfortable with them. Hope that helps
Thanks, have you been playing the mortal kombat series for a long time, or or you completely new

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hi, I am in my early fifties, just got a hitbox, my reflexes are not what they use to be, but I am still pretty speedy, do you think a person of my age, and also just learning mkx, should I stay with a d pad, or do you advise me to take up the hitbox, which would be best for me, thanks for your time scott r
If you already own the hitbox, then definitely stick it out; it will be worth it in the long run. It's a little rough at first, but no other controller matches the precision of the hitbox. It's just a damn fine controller. It helps to think of the "up" button as the "jump" button, so your brain doesn't get twisted since the button is the lowest one. Also make sure to use your right thumb for jump, and your left index middle and ring for right/down/left.

One thing that helped me was downloading an NES emulator and playing classic roms with the hitbox. It takes a lot of the pressure off, it's fun, and after like 20 minutes you'll be playing without thinking about the hitbox.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Does using one of those make that big of a difference? Then why so many tournament players (including Sonic Fox) use pads?

GGA Max

Does using one of those make that big of a difference? Then why so many tournament players (including Sonic Fox) use pads?
That's true, there are many good players that use pad.

However I was experiencing a lot of issues with back forward motions, and some standing up punishing from ducking. Misc errors toos.

I use hitbox because it makes inputs easier and more accurate, and I like that it is wired so there are less issues with connectivity or input delay.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
People play with what's comfortable for them. I'm sure if top players liked stick they would use it over a pad. Imo hitbox is the best way to play any fighter period. Just like there are ppl who dominate with a pad some people dominate with a stick. Doesn't make you a better player or anything it just makes life much easier

Thanks, have you been playing the mortal kombat series for a long time, or or you completely new
I am NO seasoned fgc player by any stretch. I picked up the game when it first came out, and was getting ok on a pad.. but life happens and i stopped playing. But now re motivated to learn fighting games i built my hitbox and have been trying to get better. But i am a novice for sure.

I am NO seasoned fgc player by any stretch. I picked up the game when it first came out, and was getting ok on a pad.. but life happens and i stopped playing. But now re motivated to learn fighting games i built my hitbox and have been trying to get better. But i am a novice for sure.
I am a complete novice, would you consider practicing together online

pics?

If you already own the hitbox, then definitely stick it out; it will be worth it in the long run. It's a little rough at first, but no other controller matches the precision of the hitbox. It's just a damn fine controller. It helps to think of the "up" button as the "jump" button, so your brain doesn't get twisted since the button is the lowest one. Also make sure to use your right thumb for jump, and your left index middle and ring for right/down/left.

One thing that helped me was downloading an NES emulator and playing classic roms with the hitbox. It takes a lot of the pressure off, it's fun, and after like 20 minutes you'll be playing without thinking about the hitbox.
Lol! I do this with indie games on ps4! It does help a lot

I am a complete novice, would you consider practicing together online
Certainly. Im on ps4. Psn john_1776. Just leave a message if u send a friend request. Also though, my free time is limited w a 5 month in the house now, so my only resl free time is on thursday nights late..

Certainly. Im on ps4. Psn john_1776. Just leave a message if u send a friend request. Also though, my free time is limited w a 5 month in the house now, so my only resl free time is on thursday nights late..
Will send a request, I am limited also, best for me is wed afternoons, I use ps4 also, I play gm, who is your character, we will just have to be patient for when we can play, but it will happen, so you know it is me my tag is scottradasch

Just got a Hitbox and MAN IS THIS HARD ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT FOR MKX
Why do people wanna suffer just to learn how to play with a different thing? Doesn't make sense at all to me. Why not stay with pad if you are confortable with it?