What's new

TrueSkill Defined

This part says alot.

Q: How can I become the top player in a leaderboard?

A: It's simple: Win games! The TrueSkill ranking system matches you with people of similar skill so winning against them will always bring you up the leaderboard.

But, more seriously, in order to become a level 50 player in an 8-player-Free-for-All game mode you will only need to win 8 (tightly) match-made games in a row! If you do not believe that, try out our interactive rank calculator: Always make sure that Alice wins the game and all other 7 players have the same μ but a σ of 1 (you can use the After->Before button). After 8 games you should see that Alice's μ is 56.995 and the σ is 1.901; hence, the conservative skill estimate would be Level 51! It may take a bit longer in reality because in these calculations it was assumed that there are always enough players of every playing strength available.

every time i would win a match in umk3 i would check the leaderboards, and i would be higher in the board.

also

Ranks displayed in PGR 3 are the position in the total leaderboard. That means, if you are rank 659 then there are 658 gamers with a higher skill (estimate) than you. This number can vary without a gamer actually having to play a game; for example, if some (legitimate) "Gotham star" gets to the top 100 players in the world whilst you are not even racing, then your rank goes down to "660" without you doing anything wrong. This "rank" can never be guaranteed to be "stable".
Roughly speaking, the change in your skill estimate depends on how "surprising" the game outcome is. If you happen to be (among) the player(s) with the highest skill in each of the games you played, then the 25 wins were not surprising and hence none of these games provided a significant increase in your skill estimate. However, if coming 5th was a rather unlikely outcome in the game were you actually did come fifth, then your skill needs to be adapted significantly. Another way of seeing the issue is that TrueSkill does take the strength of the opposition into account. One cannot simply compute the win ratio and equate this with skill; if all wins happen in the (sometimes) unavoidable unbalanced games then a win is not really testament to your (even) high(er) skill!

win ratio doesnt mean much

another:

Q: I am among the top 100 players in the world in my game mode. Why do I usually wait longer in the matchmaking lobby than my friend JoeDoe who is an average skill player?

A: This has an easy explanation: There are simply not enough players of your calibre available at any time! Remember that Xbox Live is a worldwide service, so there are perhaps only 1000 players that would be a perfect match for you. Living in 24 different time zones. The only alternative is to match you with players who are much less skilled and sacrifice match quality for waiting time. And this would ruin both their and your experience on Xbox Live. You see: being a top player has its price!

Hey im glad people are checking it out. I really dig this site and I want to be in the MK Kommunity and among the best players out there. I love UMK3 and if anyone wants to play add me on XBL.