What's new

Strategy True Runaway Smoke - Just how good is it?

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well Coping with the fact of how linear smoke is I've been experimenting with "True Runaway" with smoke. My thoughts on it.
TR smoke is just broke as shit.

Its very quirky and tedious format of smoke to play BUT, interchanging between Rushing and TR = (Storming) can compensate for smoke linear playstyle. What I want as an discussion on how TR can help smoke regular game.

Rules of TR
-Check grounded opponents with Smoke bomb in an irregular matter AT FULL SCREEN.
- reasoning ( you dont want to get your opponent to read your smoke bombs because they just need to dash forward to dodge it when standing. When you use it to check them your looking for their preferred fullscreen wake up, most times its either a teleport or an EX fullscreen attack, you want them not to have meter because smokes meter management is INCREDIBLY STRICT)

-WISELY use smoke away/toward as movement
- reasoning (Smokes fullscreen meter gain isnt to good if your opponent is being smart and dodgeing smoke bombs you need all the meter you can muster. Another way of using S A/T is at the end of block strings. Personally i like it anywhere in his 1-1-2 string but another way I use it is with a 2-1 on hit when they have breaker since the stager is long enough to cover it i use it to lose less ground or escape when i know they finna break.)

-D4, B4, D1 and D3 are your intimate lovers
- reasoning ( There is know possible way you can keep a high level player out of your face at all times so here are some some scenario you can use them in and what I think there best uses are.
.D4 - Counter pressure, Most everyones d4 in this game is really good but smokes is fucking nuts with his character design
.B4 - Quirky jip counter, if you dash cancel back dash at the right time you can get a max range sweep, when you do this you can fake an oki dash in and you can bait out a wake up move. you want to bait out the wake up move so you can learn which wake up they think is best for the situation you put them in.
.D1 - anti air/anti jip, you can full combo of an anti air d1 'nuff said
.D3 - you can use this to stop block string pressure if its fast enough if its not fast enough use d1 but if it is use it TWICE then do a get off me string like B2-3 or 3-D1-2 --->F4 ( those two are ideal since they both have Overheads in them)

-Shake n' Bait (AT FULL SCREEN)
-reasoning ( first of all you want them to know your conscious of shake and that it will be use, but another thing that it does is buiild you meter. for those who dont know you can dash cancel shake. so AT FULL SCREEN shake dash back shake do that rotation MODERATELY so they know to be wary of using a projectile. The double edge sword to this is that they can beggin to close in on you so challenge them sometimes with smoke toward. When you get a shake off its up to you if you want to rush down,or just GTFO; what ever your comfortable with

-Invisibility - The Cornerstone
-Reasoning (Utilizing even just regular invisibility with TR smoke is what makes it so dangerous because it becomes your button to start storming your opponent or to bait shit. Even though regular invis your still visible, its kinda hard to make out what moves your going to do since its masked pretty effectively. ****Use Ex invis if they dont have breaker or if you have full meter. Another thing you want to do if your going to switch to rush, 3-D1-2 neutral jump 1 or 2 depending on which side your on ---> cancel into air teleport --->land---->3-2----> whatever you can = that combo when your invis will be hard to do since the timing is diffcult to link air 1 or 2 and to link air teleport into 3-2 or 3-D1-2 if you like, BUT when your invisible and do that shit expecially somone who hasnt seen that before............CHRIS ANGEL MIND FUCKED
please discuss ways to make it beter, how its flawed and how it should be utilized to storm with smoke.
Terms we learned

Storming - Using all of smoke playstyle in fast pace and overwhelming manner. Using this at a ideally mastered will mean that your range change very often switching from close-mid-far fluently and effciently

TR(True Runaway) - Using smoke away for movement and meter gain in an efficient matter and using shake so that you can use smoke bomb frequently. This playstyle is a long range playstyle

Added tips
KT-Smith -" you can get a free invis off a forward throw"

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
good runaway Smoke tips. Something of note that you can include is that you can get a free invis after a forward throw.

Also, I lol'd at "shake n' bait"

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Alright I put it in there but yeh dude if you play TR right man that whole mix up problem should be alleviated for most of the match

kandehbar

The Gryphon
This is the way that I play Smoke, usually. It gets quite a bit of hatemail, I'll tell you...
Well TR is only half of the ideal smoke play style. Ive learned that smoke is not a character that can stick to one range, he needs to be moving around the screen at all times

I forget who, but the dude who played smoke against Chris G's reptile can possibly be the candidate for eliminating REO's kabal, if anybody.

My 2 cents.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
full screen uncontrolled smoke bomb chucking, random teleport checks.......I've seen this many a time on and off-line

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I forget who, but the dude who played smoke against Chris G's reptile can possibly be the candidate for eliminating REO's kabal, if anybody.

My 2 cents.
I saw that smoke too but i think REO's kabal is kinda bonkers. Beatable, but Bonkers tbh raiden is like the best person vs kabal since his teleport is an empty on thats pretty quick

Good point, but I don't see use for his teleport with the added frames. If anything, this will be the condition:

REO's IAFG's, raiden tele's, REO has enough time to block, raiden misses said hit, REO either continues fireballs or starts to NDC.

If anyone has a chance, I think it would be smoke.

Well TR is only half of the ideal smoke play style. Ive learned that smoke is not a character that can stick to one range, he needs to be moving around the screen at all times
I use the runaway style as a pressure starter, mainly. Once I'm able to open somebody up that way, expect me to go into rushdown until I get breakered or put into a disadvantage situation. Is that a bit closer to your description? just finished studying anatomy, i'm braindead, too lazy to reread OP atm

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Smoke poops on kabals Fullscreen zonning game. but good kabals dont zone full screen most times they zone at mid screen, its a little bit harder to shake or teleport because you have to do react to it and thats harder at midscreen cause it would be like randomly throwing it out there

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You dont even have to telegraph his IAFB really, when they come out hes usually jumping backwards, and you dont HAVE to shake it, just block the first one and get ready to shake the next one (presuming that there will be atleast 4,000 per round)

SZSR

Noob
atl redd is a good player but i dont think he can beat reo. btw that ranking ist bulls
ATL Redd is very solid and placing in the top 10 at EVO is no easy feat. If any Smoke player could find a way around it it's either him or CD jr. But I agree, as far the list goes, it's made on placings and wins. So we don't know if it only counts majors or locals or everything.
EDIT: Also, are you the Kabelfritz from the Midway Boards?

ATL Redd is very solid and placing in the top 10 at EVO is no easy feat. If any Smoke player could find a way around it it's either him or CD jr. But I agree, as far the list goes, it's made on placings and wins. So we don't know if it only counts majors or locals or everything.
EDIT: Also, are you the Kabelfritz from the Midway Boards?
there is only one kabelfritz :moonwalk:- i remember you too. ive seen quite a lot from redd but still, i dont think hed beat reo in a tournament