What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Tremor Tremor Match-Up Discussion Thread

Tweedy

Noob
Xinok's Alien number makes more sense to me.

Acidic becomes pre patch Quan when Tremor gets pressure with the armor up. Tarkatan always can armor.

7-3 over A List, though? whoa

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@General M2Dave your thoughts on the Impostor MU?
I think Bone Shaper and Imposter are both 5:5.

I play against Playing To Win offline and Cowboy online on a regular basis. I actually never lost to Imposter until very recently when Cowboy beat me in long series. I previously thought Crystalline beat Imposter 6:4, but now I have doubts and lean toward 5:5.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I think Bone Shaper and Imposter are both 5:5.

I play against Playing To Win offline and Cowboy online on a regular basis. I actually never lost to Imposter until very recently when Cowboy beat me in long series. I previously thought Crystalline beat Imposter 6:4, but now I have doubts and lean toward 5:5.
I wouldn't mind running that MU sometime if you're up for it!

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Aftershock tremor got buffed so much from the change in gameplay mechanics. His zoning is fucking even more amazing. Imagine an air quake draining all your run meter because u got hit by it. Bruh now just give me the poke buff and I'm all good

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Here are some moves that Tremor can punish on block, or at the very least punish easier, because of decreased start up frames on f+1 and b+1.

- Liu Kang's flying kick in Dragon's Fire (with f+1,2,1)
- Jason's b+1,2,2 (with f+1,2,1)
- Kano's b+1 in Cutthroat (with b+1 or buffered run f+1,2,1; thanks to @OmGxBdON for the latter)
- Reptile's b+3,4 (with f+1,2,1)
- Shinnok's MB follow-up after shoulder charge (always punishable and interruptible by f+1,2,1)

Let me know if there is anything else.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Here are some moves that Tremor can punish on block, or at the very least punish easier, because of decreased start up frames on f+1 and b+1.

- Liu Kang's flying kick in Dragon's Fire (with f+1,2,1)
- Jason's b+1,2,2 (with f+1,2,1)
- Kano's b+1 in Cutthroat (with b+1 or buffered run f+1,2,1; thanks to @OmGxBdON for the latter)
- Reptile's b+3,4 (with f+1,2,1)
- Shinnok's MB follow-up after shoulder charge (always punishable and interruptible by f+1,2,1)

Let me know if there is anything else.
- Cassie's f+3,3 is easier to punish
- Jax's Dash Punch is now punishable (I imagine you can't punish if it's spaced correctly)

Both with f+1

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Good ones.

Also Kitana's standing fans when used up close in strings.
I sense that the Kitana one will become more important in this patch with the wave of Kitana players.

Anytime Kung Jin does f+2 he'll always be punishable no matter what he does unless he spends meter. Always been a thing I think, however punishing f+2,4 will be easier. I haven't tested if hitboxes affect if Tremor can punish Shaolins plethora of -7 special moves or anything but I'd guess that could potentially be another punish on Kung Jin.

MasterBelmont

Aspiring competitive MKXL/MVCI player from Oregon
Since my Aftershock matchup thread got deleted, I'm re-posting it here.

Alien (by Pig of the Hut & me)
-F134, one of his primary strings, must be blocked standing on the first hit and crouching on the last two hits.
-Tarkatan: He can cancel F134 into overhead flip at any time as well as rekkas. At the end of a normal rekka string, you can do F121 (must be quick, though) and punish him.
-Many Alien players will go for MB flip after a regular flip on block to bait you into doing a reversal. 12 MB Stone Punch after a blocked flip will (hopefully) make him waste that bar and get his move stuffed.
-Tarkatan: If you don’t have any meter and you think he’ll do the overhead rekka as the third one, you can backdash the first hit, the second one will whiff, and you can get a fast-starter combo (F121 or 12D3) before the third one hits.
-He has 50/50s from ¾ screen distance, and in Tarkatan, he can make you guess again with the rekkas. If you think he’ll do this from that distance, you must make a tough read and jump forward, which will avoid the move and allow you to punish the big recovery when you land. If you jump and he doesn’t do it, do air quake, which will hopefully limit his punish options.
-Doing Rolling Stone after a blocked Rock Toss will ignore the armor of reversal MB Tail Flip from fullscreen. It will also stop reversal MB Crawl.
-Acidic: Fullscreen is where you really want to be against him. From there, all versions of Exo Sting (ground and air) can be avoided by jumping. If he insists on continuously blasting you from fullscreen, jump at him during his projectile and quickly do air quake so you can easily return to your positioning during the knockdown when you land.
-Acidic: From 1/3 screen distance, block low, because D4 into Exo Sting will net him serious acid damage on hit. While he can also go overhead into Sting from around the same range, he won't nearly be as rewarded for it.
-Acidic: His acid puddles only damage you when you stand in them and don't cause stacked damage. He can also only cause stacked damage on hit and not block.
-Konjurer: Facehugger will fly at you when you step into the blue circle around the pod. Even if you're not close to the pod, he can send the Facehugger at you. It can be avoided by backdashing when it's standing on the edge of the pod, or you can simply jump over it (although that may open you up to an anti-air).
-Konjurer: When he roars while looking upwards, a drone is coming down, so block standing. If there was a meter building flash when he roared, he can delay the drone, so do a certain special depending on your range and you can hopefully prevent him from capitalizing off the drone (you'll still need to block it, though).
Bo’Rai Cho
Belly Bash, his armored mobility option, doesn’t cover enough space to get him in from fullscreen, so there’s no need to worry about this from that position.
-F1 is his armor-stuffing option, but it only works if he can get a psychic read. Still, don’t just go crazy with MB Stone Punch, because you never know.
-There are gaps in between all strings canceled into both farts. Reversal MB Stone Punch will work like a charm.
-Drunken Master: He can actually low-profile under Rock Toss with MB Sumo Stomp, but not the regular one.
-Drunken Master: If his canteen is partly glowing, he’s at Level 1 Drunk. If his canteen is truly glowing, he’s at Level 2 Drunk. If his canteen is a ball of light, he’s at Level 3 Drunk.
-Drunken Master: He needs to drink to reach his full potential, but drinking on its own is very punishable, so he’ll have to cancel into it. He can only cancel specials into drink if they hit and not if they’re blocked. He can also cancel his strings into drink, but it’s really punishable, so reversal MB Stone Punch will take care of that (even though he’ll get a drink level, he’ll be pushed away).
-Drunken Master: Meditate (requires Lv.1 Drunk) is his most reliable way to deal with zoning. When on the ground, he can stay there, roll toward or away from you, or do a low or mid attack (which obviously won’t work if he’s not at close range). He’s invincible during the first few frames of the roll (so he can go through Rolling Stone), but from fullscreen, it will only get him about half screen and not right in front of you.
-Drunken Master: If ten seconds go by after he drinks and he doesn’t drink again, he’ll throw up, which you’ll have different punishes for depending on where you are onscreen. He can prevent the throwing up by jumping, but he’ll HAVE to jump, so upward Stone Shatter should deal with that.
-Dragon Breath: If he has Crop Duster (MB fart) onscreen, he can explode it with any of his fire attacks. The explosion hits at neutral position and will launch you, but can be avoided by jumping.
-Dragon Breath: Ground Fire puts flames on the ground in front of him. They will constantly deal 0.50%, but they don’t break armor. MB version is the one projectile he has, but it’s slow and can easily be jumped over (you can’t punish it with air quake, though, because he recovers quickly).
Cassie
-High, low, mid x2, overhead string hits from neutral position. You’ll want to block standing for the first hit, crouching for the next three hits, and standing for the last hit. She can cancel the string at the end, but all of her specials are mid and high, so keep blocking standing.
-Low, overhead string hits from neutral position. If blocked, you can punish with F121, and she has no safe cancel options, and most can be punished with reversal MB Stone Punch, while Nut Kracker (Hollywood) can be punished with Stone Shatter.
-Single Shot will trade with your projectiles (damage favors you) unless she gets a read, which she can stuff Rock Toss with.
-Hollywood: Air Multi Gun (high) will always be followed by a mid when she touches down, which can be jumped over and punished with air quake.
-Hollywood: A blocked Nut Kracker (mid) can be punished with Stone Shatter.
-Brawler: Severance Package (high, mid) hits from neutral position. If blocked, the only thing she can do afterward is block your reversal MB Stone Punch. Anything else will be hit.
-Brawler: Take Down (overhead) hits from 1/3 screen distance. Can be punished with reversal Stone Shatter on block.
-Brawler: Never jump at her, because she can just get you with Air Power Slam.
-Spec Ops: Air Assault (low) can land at three screen distances. It will whiff completely if you’re jumping, so watch for when the yellow circle appears on the ground, then jump and punish with air quake. MB version (overhead) can’t be avoided, so it’s best to just block or armor through with MB Stone Punch, which will hit her if she’s close enough.
Cyrax
-Net (mid) can easily be jumped over and punished with air quake.
-His one projectile is Buzzsaw, and while it can hit you during startup/recovery of your projectiles, it requires meter.
-He has many kinds of bombs: on the ground, he can put one at close, medium, or far range, and they all roll and explode after five beeps, while the MB version explodes after 15 beeps. In the air (not while he’s in the air, though), he can put them at the same ranges and they explode after four beeps, while the MB version explodes after 15 beeps. He can constantly use these things one after the other, but if he’s being an idiot like that, do MB Ground Pulse to (hopefully) put a stop to it.
-Shrapnel-Port teleports him behind you, but he can’t react right after, and you can hit him with any string during his recovery. MB version has armor in the beginning and will hit you, but his recovery is the same.
-Reversal MB Stone Punch prevents you from getting hit by any of his bombs after a blocked string.
D’Vorah
-Don’t try to play footsies or neutral with her. Her stinger normals and her D1 will beat out all of your normals.
-Don’t use raw Stone Shatter unless she’s jumping, since she can easily stuff it with F22.
-Ovipositor Charge + MB version are her armor-stuffing options that will work if she reads your MB Stone Punch, but not if she reacts too late, since only one of the hits will hit you before you hit her.
- Swarm Queen: Vortex Swarm can be avoided and punished with B12 downward Stone Punch at neutral position and 2/3 screen distance (first hit will whiff from there, though).
- Swarm Queen: Wasp Grenade can be punished by Rolling Stone. You’ll recover in time before the grenade hits you. Dash-canceling the grenade can sometimes be punished by Rolling Stone, as well.
Ermac
-Don’t try zoning him at all due to his teleport. You’ll want to turtle and bait him into teleporting so you can punish it.
-His low, overhead string hits one step closer than neutral. The second hit will whiff if he gets a hit from that range, but not if it’s blocked.
-When he hovers, block low. His only overhead option while hovering is Soul Burst, which will whiff if you’re crouching. He can do Ground Slam and Teleport while hovering, but those are low and mid.
-Master of Souls: He only has access to Soul Ball when at least one orb is circling him. If he uses it when he has one orb, it will slightly stagger you on hit. If he uses it when he has two orbs, it was cause greater staggering on hit. If he uses it when he has all three orbs, it will snare you on hit.
-Master of Souls: Disappear allows him to, well, disappear to avoid damage. He can disappear for a maximum three seconds, but he can’t do anything during the recovery. If he disappears at random on the ground, you can hit him out of it with MB Ground Pulse. If he does it in the air, do Rock Drop. Although it might not hit him, you’ll recover before he’s able to do anything, so it’s worth the risk.
-Mystic: Tele-Choke hits from 2/3 screen distance and is a mid. MB version will drain your meter. Don’t jump on reaction to this move, because it will get you in the early stage of your jump. If you think he’ll do this move and jump, but he doesn’t do it, immediately do air quake to (hopefully) prevent him from anti-airing you with Tele-Hang, which hits from the same distance and is also a mid.
-Spectral: Soul Charge (mid) hits from 2/3 screen distance. Reversal MB Stone Punch isn’t fast enough to punish the ground version on block, so do F121 instead. The air version can be punished with reversal MB Stone Punch, though. MB version can be dealt with the same way.
-Spectral: Soul Ascension gives him flight, which he can do for as long as he wants. He can do any of his specials while flying, but they don’t become any different than normal and will cancel his flight. All of his normals while flying are high and overhead, so you’ll want to block standing while he’s flying. He can do Ground Slam, which is low, but doesn’t give him anything, so getting hit by this won’t be too big of a deal (unless you’re low on health, since it does 8%).
Erron Black
-Gunslinger: Stand Off stance leads into three possible follow-ups. From full screen, only the long-range mid will hit you. If you predict the opponent will do this, you can punish it with Rolling Stone and (hopefully) block the shots and he’ll get hit. From one step farther than neutral, you can be hit by the low shots. You can punish it on reaction with Stone Shatter at the right range, and even if it trades, it will greatly be in your favor. From close range, the other mid-hitting shot will hit you. This can be ducked under and punished with F121 Rock Drop or 12D3 into that combo.
-Marksman: Long Shot (mid) doesn’t hit you immediately after being fired, and takes a second. If he lets the shot go, jump and punish with air quake. If he delays it, wait until he either lets it go or dash-cancels it to react to it. If he dash-cancels forward, hit him with D4 into Stone Shatter, MB Stone Punch, or F121 (assuming you’re at the right range for those to hit).
-Marksman: The regular version of Unload is three high hits, which can be ducked under. The MB version, however, is a low and two mids (block all three crouching). Both versions have a lot of startup, though, and the first hit of the MB version will whiff if done further than 1/3 screen distance. It can easily be jumped over and punished with air quake.
Ferra/Torr
-Never jump when they’re not doing anything, since their NJP hits 1/3 of the screen.
-Ruthless: All of their strings canceled into Pain and Gain have a gap between the last hit and the special, which give you opportunity to do MB Stone Punch. Despite being able to dash-cancel the move, they’ll still be hit and either sent backward or the armor of the move (regular version has armor) will absorb your punch and you’ll be safe.
-Vicious: Rock Toss isn’t worth doing in this matchup because Boss Toss destroys the projectile and will actually hit you, since the move moves Tremor forward. The same applies to Rolling Stone, except in that case, it’s Bowl Girl. Rock Drop (plus MB version) isn’t worth doing either, because even if you get the move out before Ferra comes at you, Torr will either simply be hit and actually recover earlier than normal from the move (Boss Toss, Bowl Girl) or recover in time to block the rock and get advantageous positioning (MB Bowl Girl). Zoning overall isn’t an option in this matchup.
-Vicious: Neutral is where you’ll want to play, since you’re pretty much even when it comes to range and speed of pokes. Be warned that any of their strings can be canceled into Boss Toss to push you away and be made safe, so don’t expect easy reversals.
-Lackey: His low, overhead string hits one step further than neutral and is safe, so expect this a fair amount.
-Lackey: Don’t even think about using Rock Toss, because from fullscreen, he can use Boulder Roll to go under it and end up in front of you or the MB version to hit you. Rolling Stone only works when he doesn’t have meter, otherwise he can just armor through the move with his MB roll.
-Lackey: If he does Torr Charge, you can jump over it and do air quake to knock him down. If he uses the MB version at a closer range, the armor may absorb your air quake, but if he does it from fullscreen, you’ll hit him.
Goro
-From fullscreen, if he does regular Shokan Bolt, you can actually low-profile under it by doing Earth Shake. He’ll be forced to get in, since throwing another regular Shokan Bolt at you would be silly, since he’d be hit by the pulse. React accordingly to what he does.
-If you end up in a fireball war, don’t use Rock Toss at all, because not only will his projectile stuff yours on startup, but reversal Rock Toss will also get stuffed if he does another fireball. Rolling Stone is a much better option, because despite the fact that you’ll get hit, you’ll at least get that projectile out and trade with him. Obviously, though, air quake is the best option overall.
-Dragon Fangs: His armor-stuffing option is Fang Spin, but it only works if he can get a psychic read on your MB Stone Punch. MB version has no armor.
-Despite Punch Walk being -5 on block, none of his normals or specials are fast enough or have enough hits to punish or stuff reversal MB Stone Punch except for MB Punch Walk (so pay attention to his meter). If he decides to block your punch, you’ll be safe, but if he decides to jump over it, he can come down on you with NJP and combo afterward (he can’t get big damage from an NJP without meter, though).
-Assuming you have the meter, you’ll always want to do MB Stone Punch when he stomps and is on his way back down. If he lands on you, the armor will absorb it and you can punish him. If he lands behind you, the distance the punch sends you, combined with his recovery, will make him unable to capitalize off of the situation and put you at a distance. If he lands in front of you, well, then he’ll just eat a rock fist.
-Kuatan Warrior: Despite being able to stuff Rock Toss with Quake, he’ll need to get a read, or else your moves will trade (and the damage will be in your favor). He can’t stuff Rolling Stone.
-Kuatan Warrior: Chest Lunge (mid) hits from 1/3 screen distance. Easily interrupts Stone Shatter, so it’s not a good idea to use it raw.
-Tigrar Fury: Flame Ball will trade with Rock Toss and Rolling Stone, but the damage will be in his favor (with Rock Toss).
-Tigrar Fury: Far Ground Fire can trade with Rock Toss from 2/3 screen distance, which is even in damage, but he’ll get a knockdown and a brief advantage to get in. He’ll beat out Rolling Stone, since he’ll recover before it hits him and be able to block.
Jacqui
Full Auto: Hand Cannon is four high hits that can be avoided by crouching without blocking. However, she can burn a bar to follow up with a mid-hitting rocket that obviously can’t be ducked under, and it also makes reversal Rolling Stone risky due to the gap in between the forth hit and the rocket. If you jump immediately after the fourth shot is fired, you’ll go over the rocket and be able to punish with air quake. If you jump after the fourth hit and she doesn’t burn meter, you may be open to Up Rocket, but there’s a chance you’ll land before she can fire. If all else fails, you can always just jump over the whole move and punish with air quake.
-Full Auto: Her canceling the last hit of a string into Up or Low Rocket has a gap (with the exception of 21 Up Rocket) that you can do MB Stone Punch during, which she won’t be able to do anything about.
-Shotgun: From fullscreen, she has no options to deal with you except regular movement. When she gets to half-screen distance, you should get Stone Shatter ready but not let it go and wait for whatever she does. If she does Low Blow, you’ll be hit, but she’ll have to move quickly if she wants to confirm off of it. If she jumps, immediately let go and hold up to anti-air her, because she can fall with Air Ground Smash, which has a fairly big hitbox. If she does anything else, just release the button and you’ll hit her.
-Shotgun: The only string-to-special cancels that have gaps in this variation involve B33. If she does any other string besides those, just keep blocking.
-High Tech: She needs to do Gauntlet Spark to reach this variation’s full potential (enhancing the properties of gauntlet attacks), and she can’t just do it raw due to how punishable it is, so she’ll need to cancel into it from a blocked string. Since Gauntlet Spark isn’t a hit, reversal MB Stone Punch will always hit her after a string when she does this, although she will get the level (she’ll be pushed back, though).
-High Tech: There are no string-to-special gaps in this variation when she does Quick Burst, but that’s the only special she can cancel into to make strings safe, and it always hits mid, so if you’ve blocked a string, keep blocking whether you’re standing or crouching and you’ll block the special.
Jason
-Slasher: Low into overhead string hits two steps closer than neutral position.
-Slasher: From fullscreen, Machete Toss is easy to jump over and punish with air quake.
-Slasher: When he does Killing Machine from a distance, do two MB Ground Pulses (assuming you have the meter, which you should save it for). He’ll be slowed down a bit and it will waste a good amount of the buff’s time.
-Relentless: When Pursuit (red screen) is active, input up, up, all four buttons at once. You’ll either get X-Ray (if you have full meter) or MB Ground Pulse.
-Relentless: Lake Mist (teleport) can be quickly punished with F121 when he reappears.
-Unstoppable: When Punishment (glowing green chain) is active, he breaks all armor, so don’t use MB Stone Punch during this time.
-Unstoppable: When Rise (glowing white) is active, he’ll continuously gain health and super meter.
-Unstoppable: Always make sure to save some resources before KO’ing him, because he can resurrect. The amount of meter he has when he’s KO’d determines how much health he’ll get back. The opponent may not use this the first round.
Jax
Dash Punch (high) reaches 2/3 screen distance. Despite being -7 on block, it pushes you away, so you can’t punish it. MB version can armor through your projectiles, but he has to do it right before a projectile reaches him, or else the armor will wear off before he’s hit. You’ll most likely have recovered from the projectile before he hits you, so you’ll be able to block it. Even if he hits you, unless you’re in or near the corner, you’ll get pushed away and he won’t get any advantages.
-Ground Pound (unblockable) can hit at three screen distances, but it has a lot of startup and can easily be avoided by jumping and punishing with air quake if done at random. If he gets a read on your Rock Toss, he can hit you right as you let the rock go and low-profile under it. If he guesses the projectile wrong, though, he’ll get hit by Rolling Stone, so really mix up your projectiles to keep him guessing.
-12 is his armor-stuffer. It pretty much always works, so random MB Stone Punch from close range is not an option.
-He can stuff Rock Toss with Energy Wave if he gets a read. If he does it during your startup, it will trade, but be in your favor damage-wise. Same applies to Rolling Stone, but he can’t stuff it.
-Heavy Weapons: Machine Gun (high x3) can easily stuff Rock Toss, so don’t use that against him. Unless he gets a psychic read, he won’t be able to stuff Rolling Stone with this, though.
-Heavy Weapons: L.A.W. Rocket (mid) can be dash-canceled (1/4 of bar forward, full bar backward) and held down, but if he decides to just let it rip, you can easily jump over it and punish with air quake. If he does the move from the right range, do Stone Shatter to hit him when he dash-cancels forward (won’t hit him if he backdashes, but he won’t be able to do anything before you recover).
-Pumped Up: Ground Tremor (unblockable) is pretty much the same move as your Ground Pulse. If he gets a read on your Rock Toss, he can hit you with this and low-profile under the rock. If he does it too late, though, he’ll get hit by the rock. Rolling Stone will make him regret doing this move, though, so once again, mix up your projectiles and their timing to mess with him. You can actually stuff this move with MB Ground Pulse, but you’ll need to get a psychic read, or else it won’t be fast enough. Of course, all of this becomes irrelevant if he just jumps over your stuff and does the air version, so watch out for that and do Rock Drop (or MB version) to get a trade in your favor damage-wise.
-Wrestler: Quad Grab (throw) hits from two steps closer than neutral, so don’t let him get to that range. Don’t jump at him, either, because he can get you with Back Breaker (he needs to be airborne, though).
Johnny Cage
-A-List: All of his specials (except Forceball), his B2, and the last hits of his 121 and F34 strings can be charged for additional damage, and he can dash-cancel the charge for about 1/5 stamina (forward dash) or half his stamina (backdash).
-It’s best to save meter for breaker in this matchup due to his great pressure and lockdown/jailing. He’ll also lose a valuable resource (stamina) for a few seconds after a breaker.
-You’ll really want to pay attention to his stamina, since all his cancels (one of the big things he’s got) require it. If he has less than a full bar of stamina, he can’t cancel into backdash, only forward dash. Make him pay for forward dash-canceling a random move.
-A-List: When it comes to knowing what move he’s charging: if he pulls his fist back while standing, he’s charging B2 (mid, -2); if he pulls his fist back while kneeling down, he’s charging Flashy Shadow Kick (high, -13/-1 fully charged); if he gets into somewhat of a splits position with one hand on the ground and the other in a fist, he’s charging Rising Kick (mid, -18/-2 fully charged); if he really does the splits, he’s charging Nut Breaker (mid, -21/-14 fully charged, so always unsafe).
-His 12 string is one of the best armor-stuffing options in the game, so don’t do random MB Stone Punch at close range.
-From fullscreen, if you can tell he’s thrown a high Forceball during its startup, you can avoid it by doing Rock Toss, which moves you forward slightly and away from the ball. If done too late, however, you’ll get hit, but it won’t give him any advantages. If you think he’ll do a straight ball, do Rolling Stone, which will trade with him, but will knock him down, while you’ll simply stagger.
-Stunt Double: If he continuously throws Straight Forceballs at you, reversal Rock Toss will trade with him (you’ll be even on damage unless it’s the MB version). Rolling Stone will also trade, but you’ll get a knockdown. You can also, obviously, jump and punish with air quake. His projectile hits high, so you can also duck under it.
-Stunt Double: From 2/3 screen distance, he can interrupt Rock Toss with Shadow Kick. He can also interrupt Rolling Stone, but he needs to be quick, or else it will trade (you’ll get the damage advantage).
-Stunt Double: Any of his strings canceled into Shadow Dropkick has a gap that you can armor through with MB Stone Punch.
Kano
-Regular and MB versions of his ground ball are both mid and very unsafe on block. Don’t try to punish them with standing 2, though, because he’ll either low profile under it during recovery or the following hits in the string will whiff (use F121 or 12D3 instead). He can also hold his MB ball for about five seconds and either let it go or cancel it to return to standing (holding it doesn’t make it any safer on block, though; also, he doesn’t have the armor the whole time, just in the beginning). If he holds the MB ball from a distance, do Rock Toss, because it will either make him cancel it or just hit him if he tries to fly at you.
-If he does air ball any closer than 2/3 screen distance, it will be an overhead into low, but if he does it further than that, it will only be a low.
-Don’t do random MB Stone Punch in this matchup, because he can easily stuff it with up ball and knock you down.
-From fullscreen, it’s tough because his knives can beat out the startup of both Rock Toss and Ground Pulse and hit you during the recovery of Rolling Stone (although it’ll trade). Backdashing on reaction to a knife toss will low-profile under it, but not give you any opportunities. Air quake is always useful in these situations, though.
-Cutthroat: All hits of his knife strings are overhead and mid, so you don’t have to worry about him going low afterward.
-Cutthroat: His farthest-reaching string is F21 (mid x2, -6), which hits from one step further than neutral, but he has no low specials to cancel into. His best up-close string is B121 (overhead, mid x2; 0).
-Cutthroat: Blade Slice (mid, -5) hits from 1/3 screen distance, while MB version hits from the same distance, but is -15 on block and lacks armor. If you think he’ll do this move from that range, you can stuff it with D1.
-Charge Up (chest bump) gives him a damage buff and can be canceled into to make strings safe, but it will constantly drain his health and he must deactivate it to stop it. When he activates this, try to pressure him as best as you can if you get an opportunity, because he’ll either continue taking damage in addition to the chip you’re dealing if he keeps blocking, or you’ll land a raw hit and the buff will stop, but you’ve just started a combo.
-Commando: Crouching from close range will avoid his Choke grab (high). Be wary of his actual command grabs, though.
-Commando: Don’t try poking at him or throwing out random normals, since he can counter them all (yes, even D4) with High and Low Kounter. He can’t, however, counter Stone Shatter, so that’s more reliable.
-Cybernetic: Knife Toss can stuff Rock Toss. Will beat out Rolling Stone, because he’ll recover in time to block before it hits him.
-Cybernetic: From one step closer than neutral and close range, he can stuff Stone Shatter with Eye Burst if he gets a read. Don’t do this move raw.
Kenshi
-Possessed: While in the range of his Soul Push (1/3 screen distance), if you predict he’ll do the move, do MB Stone Punch and it will hit him from that range.
-Possessed: From a distance, Rock Drop can be very useful. If you do it and he decides to respond with Demon Assault or Slam, he’ll get hit by the rock and the damage will be in your favor in the trade. If he teleports, though, he can come down on you with NJP during your recovery, but you can (hopefully) hit him with the close rock if it’s going up when he teleports (so you can adjust where the rock lands).
-Possessed: From close range, his best option is D4 into either Demon Slam (low) or Demonic Strike (overhead). Since it’s not a true blockstring, you can armor through the gap with MB Stone Punch.
-Kenjutsu: From neutral position, he can cancel his D4 into Spinning Blade (overhead x2), so be wary of this. Can be punished on block with F121.
-Kenjutsu: Tele-Slam (mid) hits from 1/3 screen distance. If you think he’ll do it, jump and do air quake. Even if he didn’t do it, the quake will (hopefully) prevent him from trying to do Tele-Toss to anti-air you. Don’t jump on reaction to the move, though, because he can catch you in the beginning of your jump.
-Kenjutsu: Tele-Push (mid) hits at the same range as Tele-Slam and can be dealt with the same way. It won’t catch you in your early jump frames, though.
-Kenjutsu: Tele-Toss (high) hits from fullscreen, will catch you during early jump frames, and catch you on your way back down from a jump. Forward jump is the only kind of jump you should do from that range, and you’ll want to do air quake to make it harder for him to anti-air you or prevent him from trying at all.
Kitana
-Crouching without blocking avoids fans.
-She has no overhead starters, so always block low unless she has full meter.
- (@xKhaoTik) If you read an iaf and do up rock, you're going to get hit and she can block in time. If you're too late, you'll get hit and she can just run or backdash to avoid the rock.
-(@xKhaoTik) You're not hitting me with up rock on reaction to ground fan either. Yea you can do up rock on reaction but I'm way more than recovered at that point.
-Royal Storm: If you can read a Square Boost, do MB Stone Punch. The armor will absorb the hit and you’ll get some great damage (16%). You’ll obviously want to save your meter in this match for this.
-Royal Storm: Fan-Nado can be punished up close with F121 Rock Drop or from neutral position with B121.
-Assassin (@xKhaoTik): She recovers quickly from assassin strike on whiff and she'll have more than enough time to react to the earth shake. Just block and punish.
-Assassin: Princess Parry does not work against Stone Shatter or low attacks, so D3 into overhead Stone Punch is very reliable.
Kotal Kahn
Blood God: Zoning is not an option in this matchup. He has a defense totem that reduces the damage he takes, a parry that works against all projectiles, and a move that heals himself. So not only will most of your projectiles get parried, but those he doesn’t parry will barely scratch him, and to top it all off, he can use his God Ray (particularly the MB version, which you’ll give him the meter for) to quickly heal himself, making your zoning absolutely ineffective. Time to get offensive.
-Blood God: Concerning the totems and what they do: Crystal Totem (clear) gives him a damage buff which he can increase even further with his Blood Offering; Obsidian Totem (black) increases his defense and gives him extra meter when being hit raw or blocking attacks; Blood Totem (red) drains your meter and gives him some health and meter when the totem disappears.
-Blood God: You want to be midscreen against him and really turtle to punish what he does, since just throwing out moves will allow him to easily parry them. If you corner him, he can do the defense totem and MB God Ray to make your corner pressure absolutely pathetic, since you’ll be dealing hardly any damage and he’ll quickly be regaining health. You also don’t want to be cornered by him, because his pressure is so good already, but he can up his damage with the offense totem and put you in a God Ray to deal extra damage (and potentially heal himself).
-All of his strings except for one have mid and high first hits. When playing neutral, you only need to block standing, and that will block all of his starters from that position.
-His quickest neutral strings all begin with B1 (mid, -2). From there, he can do as follows: mid (-13); mid, overhead (-10); low (-17). While all unsafe, they can be canceled into parry, a totem, or MB Sunstone to be made safe. However, if he hits you with a string from midscreen, he will simply knock you down and not be able to combo afterward.
-His low starter hits two steps closer than neutral and is followed by a mid. Due to its 20 startup frames, you might be able to see it coming (he hops slightly off the ground with one leg raised) and either stuff it with D4 or do MB Stone Punch (don’t do the regular version, though, because that will send him flying, and you want him up close).
-Despite having a few armor-breaking options, none of them are fast, so unless he gets a psychic read on exactly when you’ll do MB Stone Punch, your armor will be safe. Although, he can just parry your armor if he thinks it’s coming, so if you think he’ll parry when you do the punch, hold it and either let it go during his recovery or cancel it into backdash if you have the stamina (serious meta there).
-Blood God: If you can read him doing a raw totem, you can punish him with MB Ground Pulse.
-While not something he’ll probably do a lot, his X-Ray hits you from anywhere on screen (just like yours). Watch for it when he has full meter.
-Sun God: If he does a random Soul Spark (gaining command grab level), you can punish him with MB Ground Pulse.
-Sun God: Sun God Choke (command grab) hits one step closer than neutral.
-War God: Unlike the other two variations, he lacks the anti-zoning options in this one. His primary anti-zoning option is MB Sword Toss, which will trade with Rock Toss, but be in his favor and allow him time to get in. He can beat out Rolling Stone and recover before it hits him, but that will reduce his time to get in. Obviously, this can be jumped over and punished with air quake, but be wary of the large hitbox.
-War God: Sword Shake (unblockable) is his other anti-zoning tool, and less reliable. It isn’t fast enough to beat out Rock Toss or Rolling Stone, and he’ll be hit. Despite being able to cancel it and prevent the pound, he’ll still get hit by your projectiles. If you do Rock Toss on reaction to this move, he’ll stuff it, but Rolling Stone will trade with him. If you see him swing his sword in front of him (the startup), jump and do air quake, because even if he cancels, he’ll still be vulnerable.
Kung Jin
Despite having a bow, he has trouble against zoning (lol). Try to keep him out while watching for his mobility options.
-Air Dive Kick is always a mid hit followed by an overhead no matter when it’s done; -33 on block, while MB version is -9. NJP hits from neutral position and hits mid if he does it on the way up or overhead if done on the way down.
-Shaolin: The safe strings in this variation are low, mid x2 (hits one step further than neutral) and high, mid x2 (hits from close range).
-Up Kick (high) hits from neutral position. Can be followed by an overhead drop that’s -7 on block and can be combo punished (specials aren’t fast enough to punish).
-Chakram (mid) can be aimed upward or downward in addition to flying straight, but it always hits mid and is always -20 on block. MB version is two high hits and 0 on block, but can’t be aimed and can be avoided by crouching. Low version is -21 on block, but MB version is 0 on block and hits twice. Respect this move and don’t try to jump over it or low profile under it (at least with the regular version), since that won’t work.
Kung Lao
All of his string starters are high and mid. He lacks a low starter and instead must cancel his lows into Tornado/Cyclone to combo, and if blocked, it’s -25 (-29 if MB version).
-Teleport can be followed up with an overhead, two different mid hits, and a throw. Crouching will avoid the throw and one of the mid hits. The other mid hit can’t be avoided, but it can be blocked. The overhead will hit you if you’re crouching, but back dashing will avoid it completely and leave him completely vulnerable to MB Ground Pulse when he lands.
-Tempest: If he does Hat Spin after a blocked string, you can reversal MB Stone Punch to either hit him and push him away (regular version) or make him block and stop his pressure (MB version).
-Tempest: Doing B32 downward Stone Shatter when he’s blocking will push him to a distance where reversal Cyclone will whiff, and the string doesn’t have a gap, so he can’t armor through it.
Leatherface
-Overhead, low string hits from 1/3 screen distance.
-His high, mid string can be followed by either a low (-9) or an overhead (-4). He can also cancel it into specials, creating the same kind of 50/50, but his specials on block are even more unsafe than the third low string hit.
-Killer: The only Berserker Stance follow-up that he can’t cancel is the overhead. You can punish it on block with F121, but there’s a chance he’ll meter burn it for one last hit. There’s a gap in between the second and third hits where you can armor through with MB Stone Punch, so really watch for if he meter burns it or not and punish accordingly.
-Butcher: His high, mid string in this variation has a mid follow-up instead of an overhead, so always block low on the last hit.
-Butcher: He can armor through Rock Toss as it’s flying at him with Mallet Slam and hit you from 2/3 screen distance, as well as over Rolling Stone. Don’t throw projectiles if he’s at that distance.
-Pretty Lady: This is definitely not a zoning matchup, since he outclasses you. He can throw the saw in all directions except straight up or straight down. He can both low-profile under Rock Toss with Low Saw Toss or jump over it and do Air Down Saw Toss. He can also simply jump over Rolling Stone and do the down toss. You’ll want to wait for when he does the regular toss or the low one, which you should jump over and punish with air quake and use the knockdown time to run in.
-Pretty Lady: From one step closer than neutral, he can do D3 into upward saw for a low, high string (-4). However, it’s not a true blockstring, so you can armor through it with MB Stone Punch.
Liu Kang
-This is, simply put, Tremor’s absolute worst matchup. Period.
-You can’t zone him out. Concerning Rock Toss, he can fly right through it with MB Double Dragon Kick (Dragon’s Fire) from fullscreen and stuff your move with this any closer. He can also jump over Rock Toss and do air Dragon Fire (Dragon’s Fire) when he’s closer to the ground, thus making it so you can’t throw another one, preventing you from jumping, or potentially hitting you during recovery. He can also low-profile under Rock Toss when charging Dragon Fire and either dash when the projectile goes over him or let his fireball go. He also has a low fireball that he can low-profile under Rock Toss with.
-Concerning Rolling Stone, he can deal with it using the first two tactics against Rock Toss. He can go right over Rolling Stone with Double Dragon Kick (yes, the normal one) and hit you before you recover, and go over it with Bicycle Kick from closer range.
-You can’t rush him down, nor do your defensive options work. Not only can he stuff MB Stone Punch with ease, but he can also get two (possibly three) hits out in the same time it would take you to get one. Stone Shatter isn’t fast enough to work, because he can easily stuff that, as well.
-As you can see, he makes it nearly impossible for you to effectively use meter. You’ll probably want to save it for breaker, but since you can’t zone him out, it won’t really do much, and he’ll be back in in no time.
-Don’t even think about doing Earth Shake in this matchup. That’s a free punish for him.
-All the negativity aside, the best way to deal with him is probably keeping him at neutral distance (if possible) and using D4. His only normal that can contest the range is B2 (overhead, -11), and he can’t do anything afterward if it hits (assuming it even does, since it’s most likely to get stuffed). Don’t keep spamming D4, though, because he can easily deal with it. Mix up your timing and keep him guessing, and he’ll hopefully do a string or special that you can block and punish. This strategy isn’t guaranteed to work, but it’s your best shot at beating him. Good luck (you’re gonna need it).
Mileena
-Don’t throw any projectiles when fighting her, since she can easily punish you for it with her teleport. After a blocked teleport, you need to wait until she touches down to punish or else your move will whiff.
-@God Confirm: She cannot punish air Quakes with TP, and can't even beat it out with TP on a read unless shes inputted the TP before hes literally even left the ground, because her TP start up frames travel her right through your hitbox.
-Piercing: All her non-projectile specials hit mid except for MB ball (overhead, -31 on block).
-Piercing: B21 (mid x2) hits from exactly neutral range and is safe (-1). B21 (mid, low) is her farthest-reaching string (hits one step further than neutral, -4). Although these previous two strings are safe and have good range, you can always block standing after the strings, since she only has mid and overhead non-projectile specials to follow up with (and none are safe) and the third hits of those strings are very unsafe and don’t allow for any follow-ups if they hit.
-Her overhead starter hits from 1/3 screen distance, but has 33 startup frames, so you should be able to see it coming.
-Ravenous: @Baconlord you should absolutely block low against ravenous because pounce is very situational and the only time people really do it is off s2 plus it's unsafe and does less damage then her low options.
-Ravenous: High Pounce (mid, -3) hits from 1/3 screen distance. While it can’t be punished, she gets no advantage afterward. It’s probably a good idea to MB Stone Punch after blocking this in case she tries to go for it again.
-Ethereal: She’s vulnerable to MB Ground Pulse when she Fades, and she won’t recover fast enough to avoid it if she doesn’t delay it (and if she does delay it, she’ll be even more vulnerable).
Predator
-Don’t try to play footsies or neutral with him, because his D4 and B2 have more range than any of your normals and don’t have hurtboxes.
-Hish-Qu-Ten: Whoever can get their zoning started will cause trouble for the other. If you can lock him down with projectiles, he can have a tough time responding with his own, even though Plasma Shot will trade with Rock Toss and Rolling Stone (but you’ll get the damage and hitstun/knockdown advantage). He’ll also have a tough time getting Smart Disk out, since he most likely won’t recover from the move by the time your projectile is flying at him, and if he does, he’ll probably only be able to block. There’s a chance you can get him with MB Ground Pulse when he does Smart Disk, but he may recover before your move comes out, and he can just jump to avoid it while the disk hits you.
-Hunter: His Snag can be placed at three ranges and gets you when you’re standing next to it, or it will get you after about a second if he puts it right under you (when the red beams appear). If he cancels into Snag after a blocked string, reversal MB Stone Punch will get you out of range of the trap, and he must either wait for it to disappear (takes about five seconds) or detonate it (explosion reaches about neutral position), which will leave him very vulnerable unless he burns meter, which will give him armor.
-Hunter: Medi-Kit, despite giving him 5%/10% (MB) health back, is highly punishable if done out of nowhere.
Quan Chi (by Zoidberg747 and Shujinkydink)
-Zoning: Only time you don’t have to respect his zoning is if he does regular rune. You then can run in. Otherwise if you move he can MB rune you for a full combo.
-Pressure: He has certain holes. After b324 you can armor through a followup EX rune (I believe you can also armor through the 2nd and 3rd hits but I just armor through the b32/b324). After an EX rune on block, neither b2 or b3 are guaranteed (correct me if I’m wrong). You can armor through that too. B2 and b324 are punishable on block but you always have to prepare for him canceling into rune or something else. Backdash is a smart idea after ex rune. The b324, while guaranteed is a 2 frame link, which most Quan mains should get, but in a do or die scenario, is likely to get misinputted. And you can’t do b32 ex rune on whiff, it will not come out. Then you can full combo punish.
-Vortex: He can only continue the vortex if he hits with the b2 second, so Quan mains usually tend to go low OH most of the time. Charged b2 can be beaten by fast jabs and pokes.
-Meter: Save your meter for the vortex and/or his high damage combos.
-@The_Tile: Quan can stuff all Tremor's armor with F21 so you MUST stay out of the corner otherwise the match can be over as soon as it started. It's best to play the midscreen game versus Summoner, make some right reads with iAQs and EXiAQs as Quan can have a bit of trouble hitting you out of it unless he just sits, blocks and punishes. But doing this makes Quan have to sit and start respecting him instead of throwing shit willy nilly, which opens up opportunities for Tremor to run in and get his own pressure started.
-Be careful when poking Quan after your plus frames too because if he challenges with iaNJP he'll beat your slow pokes for a full combo.
-Also be careful armoring out of B32 cancelled into stuff because B32 is only about -10 so Quan can actually just wait and block your armor.
-Some Quan's who don't block confirm into MBSkull and use MbRune on block instead usually like to go for another 50/50 after MbRune even though it's not a real thing anymore. Make sure to challenge this with F1 and you can get a full combo.
Raiden
-Elec Fly can be punished by F121 Rock Drop (11%) or Stone punch (12%). With MB Stone Punch, you can hold it for a second and do the downward version, which will hit him before he recovers and allow you to combo.
-@DDutchguy: His overhead (B2) having a gap is quite pointless because the move itself is like -60 on block, giving you your highest damaging punisher instead of the like 28% you'd get from armoring out. What's more, if you armor out you get hit by the second hit of B2, costing you 9% health. Overall, never make use of the gap in Raiden's B2, just block it and cash in your biggest punisher.
-Thunder God: The last hit of most of his variation-specific strings can be held down for up to three additional hits. Despite some of them having gaps, the extended normal will easily stuff your armored reversal, so never attempt it. The additional hits are always mid.
-Displacer: He has a teleport in this variation, which he can use to end up in front of you, behind you, behind you at a distance, or stay in the same spot and trick you. MB Earth Shake is useful in this matchup if you think he’ll teleport, because you can put it down and most likely recover before he gets to you. Unfortunately, if he baits you into doing it, he can just do Electric Fly and punish you, so be willing to take the risk.
Reptile
Rolling Stone prevents him from sliding most of the time. His MB slide obviously has armor, but he’ll still take the damage and won’t get anything off of hitting you.
-His armor-breaking option is 12, but he’ll have to get a psychic read or risk it trading with MB Stone Punch.
-Nimble: When he does Basilisk (time-slowing), wait until he’s at the right range and do Stone Shatter. For being slowed down, this move is still surprisingly fast, and he can’t block while Basilisk is active. He’ll either have to do a special or get away. If he does Basilisk up close, however, F121 is what you should do.
-Deceptive: Stealth makes it so he’ll be invincible to whatever hits him while in that state, so your strings and MB Ground Pulse are what you’ll want to use when he does this. The first hit won’t do any damage, but you’ll have stopped his mode and will get at least two hits damage-wise. MB version makes him invisible, so watch for small dust clouds on the ground to see where he is.
-Noxious: He constantly has a damaging gas cloud around him (0.20% every second), and he can add to it with the Poison Gas special (regular constant 0.50%, MB constant 1%). You never want to be at close range against him, so don’t just try to zone him, but stay on the move with a runaway game, because you don’t want him to have the life lead and it’s very tough to make comebacks in this matchup.
Scorpion
-Obviously, you don’t want to try zoning him due to his teleport. Instead, you should turtle and bait him into doing the teleport (mid), which is unsafe on block and can be full combo punished (both versions can be). He can actually cancel the hit after the teleport and just appear behind you, but he won’t be able to react for a second, so always block if he teleports, then punish whether you’re hit or not. He also has an air teleport, but that’s even more unsafe (and also hits mid).
-From far away, if not teleporting, he’ll most likely be using Spear (high). When used raw, it’s easy to punish, since you can crouch under it and follow up with MB Ground Pulse (you need to be quick, though) or just jump over it and punish with air quake. All of this applies to the MB version, as well. Unfortunately, you can’t low-profile under either version with Earth Shake.
-Takedown (low) hits from a half-screen distance. -32 on block, and can be punished with both F1 and even more easily with B1.
-Ninjutsu: F2 (mid, overhead; -11) hits one step further than neutral and is his armor-stuffing option. It will always stuff your armor whether he reads you or just reacts to you, so random MB Stone Punch isn’t an option. As for punishing this move, reversal MB Stone Punch isn’t fast enough, so D4 canceled into Stone Shatter is your best punish against this.
-Hellfire: Fire Ball (high) isn’t fast enough to trade with either of your projectiles. He can hold it and dash-cancel it, but that won’t help if you’re barraging him with stuff.
-Hellfire: Hell Fire (unblockable) can easily be avoided by jumping and punishing with air quake.
-Hellfire: When Flame Aura is up, you’ll continuously be damaged when near him. Try your best to play a runaway game when he has this up.
Sektor
-@God Confirm: You will well and truly stuff his start-up by quaking at the same time he does anything, and similar to Mileena and Smoke he can't tp through it. By the same right, you obviously can't get away with boulders and uprocks or whatever. But you can still control the space.
-Teleport Uppercut hits you wherever you are and is a mid. -19 on block, though, so punish it with the string of your choosing. However, he can spend meter to cancel into Air Cyber Slam, which pushes you too far away to punish with a string, but allows you to use Stone Shatter.
-Flame Thrower is his best defensive option: it’s fast, covers all heights and both sides, has armor, always stuffs armor, and can’t be punished with reversal MB Stone Punch. Respect this move.
By @Cossner: Instant air dash after teleport doesn't push you back and you can punish it pretty easily. It's only if I do it from far away but NOT from a teleport. Ex flamethrower whiffs if you're around 50-70 degrees away from Sektor, meaning you can nj and make it whiff. It CAN be punished because it's -13. reversal during his gaps... THAT's Sektor's weakness lawl that's exactly how you beat him, shutting down f43, f212bb, 1112, 213, etc.
Shinnok
-Bone Shaper: F41D2 (low, mid, overhead) into either Hell Sparks (mid) or Dark Beam (high) is his go-to string. Always block low up close, since he lacks overhead starters and will basically always go for this string, which you’ll want to block standing after the first two hits.
-Bone Shaper: This is not a zoning matchup. From 2/3 screen distance, he can interrupt the startup of Rock Toss with Scepter Slam. Dark Beam can also stuff the move if he reads you.
-Bone Shaper: Scepter Strike can easily be jumped over and punished with air quake.
-Impostor: He steals Stone Punch with Mimicry.
-Impostor: When he puts you in the vortex after Mimicry, he lacks a true low string, so he’ll have to do a low normal canceled into (most likely) Hell Sparks, which has a gap that you can reversal MB Stone Punch through. His other options are throwing you (so tech), doing a high starter, or doing a mid starter.
Smoke
-He has no armor besides the obvious X-Ray. He has invincibility during his Smoke move, which he can go forward or backward with, but it requires a bar of stamina. MB version doesn’t require stamina, but he obviously has to use meter. In short, he’ll always be burning resources when using this move. He can’t react immediately after the teleport, though, so if you think he’ll do it, do MB Ground Pulse to punish him.
-While it’s obvious you should never try to zone characters with teleports, it’s especially true for this matchup, because not only can he simply go through your projectiles, but he can also catch you on startup with Smoke Ball and bring you to him, land right on you with Fade-Port, and slide under Rock Toss from 2/3 screen distance. You’ll want to really turtle in this matchup and bait him into doing Fade-Port (overhead, -46) or slide (low, -20).
-Trident (high) hits from fullscreen. Can be punished on block with reversal MB Ground Pulse, as well as jumped over and punished with air quake if you think it’s coming. He’ll recovery much earlier if the MB version is blocked, so don’t try to reversal that version, since he’ll Fade-Port onto you.
-There are gaps between every string canceled into every special, and they can all be reliably punished with the exception of Fade-Port, which will be absorbed by your reversal armor and he’ll be left very vulnerable. If he cancels into Smoke Forward or Away, your reversal will either hit meaty (forward) or auto-correct and put him in front of you (away).
Sonya
-From fullscreen, don’t use Rock Toss on reaction to her Energy Ring, since it will hit you before you throw the rock. It’s better to buffer the move while you’re in block stun from her projectile, since it will trade if she does another one (but you’ll greatly get the damage advantage). Rolling Stone is a better reaction option because it has less startup and will trade with her projectile, but will knock her down, while you’ll just stagger. Buffering the move in block stun will do the same thing as Rock Toss.
-Rolling Stone should not be used outside of a projectile battle, since her best mobility option (MB Arc Kick) will avoid it completely. Rock Toss, however, is very effective because she can’t punish it from fullscreen due to the armor of MB Arc Kick wearing off by the time she’s close to you, and she’ll need to get a psychic read to stuff the move. Watch for reversal MB Arc Kick, though, because she’ll hit you on startup, so don’t keep chucking rocks like crazy.
-Demolition: If she uses a grenade from fullscreen, you can do a projectile and recover before the grenade hits you.
-Never attack her when she has full meter. Stay on the defensive, don’t push any buttons, and hope she fails an attempted X-Ray that you can punish or uses a bar.
-Demolition: Never try to punish blocked strings with MB Stone Punch, because she will throw a grenade that will hit you before you recover and allow her to combo you. The best thing to do after a blocked string is probably to jump, since you can either hit her with air quake (if you can do it quickly enough) or do a delayed air normal to hopefully stuff whatever she tries to do next.
-Demolition: If she tries to randomly reload her grenades, you can punish her with MB Ground Pulse.
-Covert Ops: All of her blocked strings canceled into Military Stance and its follow-ups have a gap, including the stance cancel, so she’s completely vulnerable to reversal MB Stone Punch.
-Special Forces: The color of her Drone tells what it’s doing:
1. If it’s blue, it’s going to fire a homing missile, which can be avoided by jumping forward right before it’s about to hit you.
2. If it’s red, it’s going to fly at you and hit either mid or low, so crouch blocking will block both.
3. If it loses color, she parked it. From its position, it can still do the things listed above when apart from her, but it will return to her afterward.
Sub-Zero
-Avoid using Rock Toss in this matchup, because he’s able to stuff the move on startup and slide under the projectile itself.
-Rolling Stone is your BFF in this matchup. It prevents him from doing the regular slide and also doesn’t allow him to use it as a reversal after a blocked Rolling Stone, so he can’t punish you if you do another one right after. Although his MB slide has armor, he’ll have to take the damage from the rock, and even if he hits you, he won’t get anything off of it if he doesn’t have the Ice Klone out (in Grandmaster).
-Both slides are -22 on block and can be punished with F121 (MB) Rock Drop.
- Grandmaster: Stone Shatter can destroy Ice Klone conveniently. Be careful about using it in the corner, though, because he’ll have the advantage to punish you and there’s a chance a part of you could touch the Klone and freeze. Edit: If sub has u in the corner and he tries to throw u into clone, u can punish with 12db2d full combo if u duck it. You won't hit the clone no matter how close.
-Grandmaster (@God Confirm): you can meterless punish all but 1 of his clone cancels into full combo, with instant air quake.
-Cryomancer: B33 into Frost Hammer (low x2, overhead) is something he’ll go for a lot. There’s a gap between the second normal and the special which you can armor through with reversal MB Stone Punch.
-Unbreakable: Any normal can be countered with Barrier of Frost, including D4 at max range. Your best option against this is Stone Shatter, because despite the fact that he’ll be invincible to it during the barrier, you’ll recover slightly earlier than he does and have time to do D4. If you can read him doing it, hold the move until his barrier shatters, then let it go, and he’ll be hit.
-Unbreakable: Despite Barrier of Frost’s ability to nullify Rolling Stone, if he does it from fullscreen or slightly closer, you can do MB Ground Pulse before he recovers.
Takeda
-His overhead x2 canceled into Kunai (low) hits from 2/3 screen distance, but is not a true blockstring, so you can reversal MB Stone Punch through the Kunai.
-Rock Toss prevents him from doing Tornado Strike, since he’ll be hit out of it no matter which version he uses (unless, of course, he uses it while jumping).
-Shirai Ryu: He can low-profile under Rock Toss with Quick Phase, but he won’t get anything unless he does the MB version. He can also cancel the startup (he’ll be kneeling down with his back to you) and stand again, but it requires a bar of stamina. If you block Quick Phase, you can easily punish it (it’s -17) with any string.
-Shirai Ryu: From 2/3 screen distance, he can stuff Rock Toss with Spear Ryu, but he’ll need to get a read on it, or else he’ll be hit by the rock (although that’s a trade, the damage is greatly in your favor). He can’t stuff Rolling Stone, so mix up what projectile you use to really confuse him. Air Spear hits from the same distance.
-Lasher: Whip Strike (mid) hits from 1/3 screen distance.
-Lasher: Whip Assault (high, -12) hits slightly under 2/3 screen distance. If blocked from the right range, you can do Stone Shatter, which he will have to block or backdash.
-Lasher: Whip Trip (low, -11) hits from the same range as Whip Assault and can be dealt with the same when blocked.
-Ronin: Overhead, low string hits from 1/3 screen distance.
-Ronin: Blade Drop puts his blade on the ground at three different ranges, which he can follow up with a triple low attack or return his blade to him. However, when his blade is on the ground, he loses access to any attacks involving it, making it so he doesn’t have an overhead. If he puts his blade down raw, dash in the opposite direction of where he put it. He’ll either have to return it or accept the fact that he won’t have blade attacks if you’re at close range, since calling it back up close to you will leave him very vulnerable.
-Ronin: He can reflect both of your projectiles with Shirai Ryu Reflect or absorb them to regain 5% health. He can also absorb Rock Drop.
Tanya
-She can go under Rock Toss with Low Spin Kick, but she won’t reach you if done from fullscreen.
-Kobu Jutsu: Her rekkas have gaps in between them that can be armored through. Her basic pressure string (mid, overhead, mid) canceled into Tonfa Swipe has a gap in between the string and the move, which can be armored through. If she teleports after a blocked string, do an NJP, because if she teleported toward you, you’ll hit her, and if she teleported away, you’ll both recover at the same time.
-Pyromancer: There are many different ways she can throw her fireball:
1. On the ground, she can do a diagonal upward one that will only hit you on the ground if done from fullscreen. You can easily dash under it.
2. On the ground, she can do a somewhat straightforward one (with a slight arch) that will always hit you on the ground. Can easily be jumped over and punished with air quake.
3. In the air, she can do a far-reaching one that travels diagonally downward. Jumping backward from fullscreen will avoid it.
4. In the air, she can do a close-range one similar to the previous one.
5. The MB ground fireball travels quickly, and she quickly recovers, so punishing with air quake is rather impractical. The MB air fireball sends out both versions simultaneously.
-Pyromancer: Dark Shroud (mid) hits from one step further than neutral and, on hit, increases the damage of one fireball attack (she has to do this move again to get another damage increase). MB Stone Punch can absorb this.

BxKeyz

Noob
I'm tired of scorpion breaking my flash parry on wake up just by F2 or B4 and F2 is almost impossible to punish...Its so brain dead so i figured this should work unless you cancel db1 to quick, you have to wait until after the two hits then cancel to punish him and his annoying ways to bully tremor on wake ups. Also i'm willing to hear out other options besides blocking it because i played scorpions who back dash right after f2 just to make my poke whiff and f2 again..Or maybe it's just an online tactic. Please help with options..

Last edited:
I'm tired of scorpion breaking my flash parry on wake up just by F2 or B4 and F2 is almost impossible to punish...Its so brain dead so i figured this should work unless you cancel db1 to quick, you have to wait until after the two hits then cancel to punish him and his annoying ways to bully tremor on wake ups. Also i'm willing to hear out other options besides blocking it because i played scorpions who back dash right after f2 just to make my poke whiff and f2 again..Or maybe it's just an online tactic. Please help with options..

In regard to the blocked F2 issue:
Ninjutsu players will often stick to a range so that the pushback of F2 prevents punishing (for the most part) and requires you to use a mid since his pokes low profile or block a counter-poke. If the player backdashes often, your best consistency option is probably run up B2, but they may D4 while you run-up to adjust for the backdash. If they backdash often, you can take the risk of running up since most often the worst you will get is poked. Most Scorpions understand they are negative and so won't press standing normals very often after f2. If they D4 after blocked F2, a B2 should always catch since he is -11. If you aren't consistently blowing up the poke, a slight walkback into B2 should cause it to whiff and give you a punish.

If you want a low-risk option against backdashing, wouldn't Shatter consistently beat pokes and be safe on whiff in that situation (maybe his [Scorpion's] B2 would catch)?

By no means is this likely the best way to deal with this, but this is how I deal with Ninjutsu.

Last edited: