What's new

Trash-Talk, And When It Goes Wrong: An anecdote

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Trash talk is the pandora's box of para-meta gameplay. A direct assault on the opponent's consciousness made entirely without any button presses, no reads, punishes or frame-perfect timing necessary. The jury is still out on whether the tactic is Tournament legal or not, so to be safe i usually use it in casual offline situations. MK, Street fighter, Mario Kart, Monopoly, Connect 4, Guess Who, Operation, these are all fine examples of appropriate places to Trash Talk.

The beauty of this game-changing meta-move of deific proportions is that it is universal amongst all videogames. I first became aware of the tactics efficacy in the Halo 3 days. My buddy who lived nearby was a much better player of this game. But he was weak to attacks on his mind. I would tell him that despite ditching school 3/5 times a week to play the game, he was still crap in PvP and the campaign. Continually disparage and berate his performance and, lo-and-behold, he would start missing shots, run into the open and generally fall apart. This was the only thing i could do to guarantee victory.

However, the tactic is not infallible. Indeed, if you play too fast and loose with the dictionary of insulting words and terms without thinking first, you may achieve a self-burn, which is a mortal injury. Just last night, during a particularly heated and drunken game of Jenga, some young upstart was trying to tell me i sucked, so i lashed out with the first ZINGER that came to my head; "You've no chance, i'm basically gonna wipe your ass for ya".

I'm still recovering from the shame as i type this. Anyone else got any stories of Trash Talk, and when it goes wrong?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Wanna know my infallible strategy when it comes to this? Trash talk after you win, not only will it give you more confidence, it'll make your opponent feel less confident too.

As for a story, I remember playing CoD MW2 and these guys were being jerks in the lobby since you know 'Wow a girl that plays CoD!' was pretty much guaranteed back then. And I got angry despite myself and I started calling them all sorts of names so when the game started I was so furious I couldn't focus and I got my ass beat.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I want a new Quake game! I mean legit from post Quake 4, not that arena crap lol.

But yeah, trash talk is fun when it's friendly comp but when people take shit seriously it's like wow dude get a life lol. Was watching Tekken vids get person other day good lord lol

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Let me tell you. Nothing is more infuriating than the winner giving advices in a calm manner to the loser after a beatdown. I'd rather hear trash talk.
My story: I lose to this Geras dude, who besides playing Geras, plays really well, says O'm too predictible and always doing d1 and d3. Really? When you have the fastest d1 and a 9f mid combo starter what do you want me to do? Piece of shit. I just responded: Ok, thanks :)

Early Starcraft 2 days with every protoss goin for something cheesy.. in the time i wasted typing "gl hf", i already had a probe in my base building cannons and pylons everywhere. And at the end, the op was always saying "gg wp".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The pre game lobbies of Halo 2, CoD4, Halo 3 and MW2 was the PRIME TIME mecca of trash talk. I’ve been called literally every name you can think of. Including racial slurs... ALL RACIAL SLURS. Yes, even that one and that one. These lobbies are what toughened my skin. I wish kids these days could experience it, they would be offended way less by mundane things (which is all everyone is offended by now).

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Let me tell you. Nothing is more infuriating than the winner giving advices in a calm manner to the loser after a beatdown. I'd rather hear trash talk.
My story: I lose to this Geras dude, who besides playing Geras, plays really well, says O'm too predictible and always doing d1 and d3. Really? When you have the fastest d1 and a 9f mid combo starter what do you want me to do? Piece of shit. I just responded: Ok, thanks :)
Piece of shit :joker: