What's new

Tragic Defend The North. What Can We Learn From This?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Fortunately, I was not there but I knew things were off by watching at home. There were a lot of delays due to Top 8 players playing other games. Now, I know that can sometimes happen at locals, but at a major event IN THE MIDDLE OF A TOP 8 is very alarming. Something was not right. So I looked up Tweets of people's experiences that were there and found waaaaay more than I can chew. Be prepared because this is a handful.

And this was is even more alarming that didn't even get addressed by commentary or the event staff....and actual DEATH!

Very unfortunate and my condolences to Krucial_B and his family. Since it was not addressed by DTN, I wanted to make a topic about it because this is a real issue at majors. No water or outside drinks being allowed in when you have a damn heat wave going on is already a red flag. Un-organization with very little to no setups for games, time slots no delegated properly, etc. Everything was such a mess, people in their own city said they won't attend next year.

With that said, what are things that we want from a major from a participant and viewer standpoint to make the whole event a great experience? What are the basics needs? Water, setups, TOs, etc. What mistakes were made here that other major events can learn from? Let's have a discussion.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Apparently the TOs weren't great either, heard about one showing up late to a pool and just letting people play whenever instead of running down the bracket

*Do wanna say in Jwong's case, the dude was in like 9 games. Not to say he did anything wrong, but I thought events capped how many you could be in to prevent issues?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently the TOs weren't great either, heard about one showing up late to a pool and just letting people play whenever instead of running down the bracket

*Do wanna say in Jwong's case, the dude was in like 9 games. Not to say he did anything wrong, but I thought events capped how many you could be in to prevent issues?
That cap should have been enforced to ensure each tournament and stream is ran smoothly as possible. I was watching SFV stream with Yipes as commentator and that man was DRPPING in sweat! I can only imagine how damn hot that venue was.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Condolences to the man's family. This is horrible.

And yeah from what I hear about hygiene
Could totally get a sports venue with showers and a deodorant / shower gel supplier for a partner for one of these events.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Condolences to the man's family. This is horrible.

And yeah from what I hear about hygiene
Could totally get a sports venue with showers and a deodorant / shower gel supplier for a partner for one of these events.
I know it sounds harsh, but I think it would be dope if Dove or Old Spice was a sponsor at one of these events and give out the mini versions for all entrants. Man, somebody make this happen!

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I had firsthand experience in seeing how hot it was on Long Island over the weekend, it was the hottest that its been here since 2001. This was just gross negligence on their part, and with the part about no water being on-hand or allowed in, that's practically criminal.

I could have even seen myself going to the event if I was able to get the day off in advance, but seeing how things went here, I'm glad I didn't. I don't want my first local experience to be like that.

Last edited:

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
How would you guys feel if they put in rules penalizing stanky players.

I heard they’re trying that at yu gi oh tourneys. Not sure if it’s effective
Back when I used to play I lost tournament sets because of this, My sense of smell is sensitive so my stomach started feeling sick and I couldn't concentrate on the match.

Bigzo

Noob
I know it sounds harsh, but I think it would be dope if Dove or Old Spice was a sponsor at one of these events and give out the mini versions for all entrants. Man, somebody make this happen!
This too.

I put extra deo sticks in my car because there are just some days I forget to put it on in the morning. I do this to avoid stinking up the office.

Something like this could help people out. Shit happens

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
After a tournament I got a migrane on the drive home because of the aftermath of veing at the venue cause of all the stank... =( almost puked in my friends car but I made it fortunately I woulda felt bad.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
This too.

I put extra deo sticks in my car because there are just some days I forget to put it on in the morning. I do this to avoid stinking up the office.

Something like this could help people out. Shit happens
True. This is notorious for Smash players at FGC events where its not just one or two people stankin' but the WHOLE FUCKING GROUP! I was there at EVO and maaaaaaaaaan my nose hairs were burning!

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
True. This is notorious for Smash players at FGC events where its not just one or two people stankin' but the WHOLE FUCKING GROUP! I was there at EVO and maaaaaaaaaan my nose hairs were burning!
Thinking about it, that could be an effective means of gaining an advantage. During a match, you're not gonna be fully focused on the match if your opponent's body odor is so bad, it makes your eyes water.

But yeah, I don't get how you can go out in public without even the most basic of hygiene. Just, at least have some respect for yourself, if not others.

Bigzo

Noob

I didn’t have any experiences at CEO, but then again I didn’t interact with many people.

I try my hardest not to judge people though. I know it’s a really basic thing and there’s no excuse for it, but you never know what people are going through.

I think I might bring a stick or 2 with me of i end up forming the dough to go to east coast throw down. If I smell some funk and I think the guy is otherwise pretty cool, I’ll talk to him privately and help him out.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Thinking about it, that could be an effective means of gaining an advantage. During a match, you're not gonna be fully focused on the match if your opponent's body odor is so bad, it makes your eyes water.

But yeah, I don't get how you can go out in public without even the most basic of hygiene. Just, at least have some respect for yourself, if not others.
How would you guys feel if they put in rules penalizing stanky players.

I heard they’re trying that at yu gi oh tourneys. Not sure if it’s effective
Then that above rule should come into play. Venues need to enforce this at least THE BARE MINIMUM people who are competing to make sure you don't stink. Deodorize them pits and wash ya ass or else yo ass is DGed bitch! Man, put me as TO or better yet an organizer! Shit.

Bigzo

Noob
Then that above rule should come into play. Venues need to enforce this at least THE BARE MINIMUM people who are competing to make sure you don't stink. Deodorize them pits and wash ya ass or else yo ass is DGed bitch! Man, put me as TO or better yet an organizer! Shit.

Who wants to volunteer to play smell detective: discovering funk, finding the source of it, and publicly accusing someone of failing basic hygiene? I wouldn’t.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Who wants to volunteer to play smell detective: discovering funk, finding the source of it, and publicly accusing someone of failing basic hygiene? I wouldn’t.
You can smell it at the damn entrance! lol Maybe a smell detector ?Question mark?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I can picture that now:

@JBeezYBabY : "Look, I'd love to let you in, but my smell radar is reaching critical levels of swamp ass from you. You could afford the entrance fee, go buy some Speed Stick."

stokedAF

casual kahnage

Valid. Sour tuna would be mad distracting. Funny that it’s a group effort though, maybe it’s purposeful and they are all trying to outdo each other like custom variations. Next up is Johnny with the shitty drawers variation vs Simon with the curdled milk variation.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I can picture that now:

@JBeezYBabY : "Look, I'd love to let you in, but my smell radar is reaching critical levels of swamp ass from you. You could afford the entrance fee, go buy some Speed Stick."
I mean.....FUCK lol! The only way I feel would make this situation better, again, will to have a deodorant company as a sponsor and give them out to anybody who enters the venue so nobody would ever feel ashamed of not wearing one.

Last year EVO was sponsored by Nissan and everybody got a big ass bowl of one because it came with their pass. They should do the same thing. Its GENIUS!

The smash room was super cramped. It was like over 400 people entered for ultimate and it was in a tiny ballroom. With all the setups, it was super cramped so I could not walk anywhere. There was also no chairs to watch the stream so everyone was on the floor. The TO's even said they would not be surprised if the fire Marshall shut it down cause it was way past maximum capacity.