What's new

Guide Tournament Nerves Tips

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I recently made an article that involved the topic of tournaments. The main focus was I interviewed players with a lot of tournament experience and inquired insight into how they prepare and their training routines. Check it out if you haven’t already: https://testyourmight.com/threads/insight-into-the-minds-of-tournament-players.69111/

One thing I didn’t include was if they still get tournament nerves and/or how they dealt with them in the past or how they currently deal with them.

Tournament nerves can heavily affect your gameplay and mindset in tournaments. I personally know a lot of great players that do absolutely amazingly well in casuals, but suffer when it comes to tournaments. A big reason for that is tournament nerves. Another aspect is not being able to perform under pressure and with something on the line. The mental aspect of it bleeds into the physical and hinders your performance.

So here’s some tips I and others have for helping with this issue!

I used to get tournament nerves really badly and still do to an extent. One of the best solutions for ME has been breathing exercises. It sounds weird that simply breathing would help, but it helps TREMENDOUSLY! There’s actually scientific proof behind doing breathing exercises. It helps to relieve stress and anxiety, two of the biggest contributing factors to being nervous or having tournament nerves.

Something that will help naturally is simply experience. Not only tournament experience but there’s a couple things you can do that helps.

Make sure when you’re playing casuals as close to how you’ll be playing in tournament as possible. So if you listen to music while you play casuals, listen to music while you play in tournament. If you wear jeans and a T-Shirt in tournament, wear jeans and T-Shirt in casuals. You want all the details covered. It’s basically impossible to replicate the atmosphere of a tournament but your goal should be to make your surroundings as close as possible. Because being prepared in every possible way will help a lot with dealing with tournament nerves.

Another tip especially if you’re newer to tournaments is to realize you should always treat tournaments as a learning experience. Don’t think of it as the end of the world if you lose. If you lose, you’re learning. A big mistake people make is to not learn from their losses in general, but also losses in tournaments. Here’s another article I made detailing why “losing” is actually important and that in order to improve you have to lose and actually learn from the loss: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/

Mr. @Tom Brady actually made a video not too long ago talking about this very topic of tournament nerves:

If anyone has any more suggestions or advice, please feel free to post them up! This is actually a very big problem especially for newer players or players new to tournaments. Also, another thing you can do is go to your locals as much as possible. Being in an actual tournament environment will help you more than you realize. And since it’s not as “big” as say a major, it’s a very good place to start!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Breathing is indeed one of the best way to beat nerves in general. Taking long, deep breaths will help prevent you from getting overwhelmed. I always take at least one deep breath when the match is loading in.

I also am a huge proponent of going back to character select if you lose just to sit and reflect for a bit. You don't want to overthink it, but just take the time to mentally reset and maybe think of a few things you want to change strategy wise going into the next match.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Breathing is indeed one of the best way to beat nerves in general. Taking long, deep breaths will help prevent you from getting overwhelmed. I always take at least one deep breath when the match is loading in.

I also am a huge proponent of going back to character select if you lose just to sit and reflect for a bit. You don't want to overthink it, but just take the time to mentally reset and maybe think of a few things you want to change strategy wise going into the next match.
Some excellent advice!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bump. I think most people here these days have little interest in tournaments sadly. It’s a shame because tournaments are godlike!

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I'm not gonna lie, I'm nervous as shit to go to EVO and it's not even until August. Lol

Never played in an offline tourney, not even like a small local one. :eek:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Wearing the same clothing you wear in a tourney and having the same playing habits probably sound crazy but it's a very accurate tip. When I did triathlons or 5k runs I always had the same clothes same shoes and listened to the same exact music as when I was training. The psychology behind that is pretty simple, being at a tourney is already taking you out of your comfort zone and to perform as you would normally, you need all the comfort you need and those things like music and clothing and even using your own controller all add to that comfort to balance out the tourney jitters.

I went to a friendly Smash tourney with a bunch of friends from uni, and because they knew me as the serious gamer I sort of had that pressure to perform well, and not to mention I wasn't in my own room, so I played like complete crap.

Lots of things going on psychologically during events and if you can recognize them you can learn to control them.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Wearing the same clothing you wear in a tourney and having the same playing habits probably sound crazy but it's a very accurate tip. When I did triathlons or 5k runs I always had the same clothes same shoes and listened to the same exact music as when I was training. The psychology behind that is pretty simple, being at a tourney is already taking you out of your comfort zone and to perform as you would normally, you need all the comfort you need and those things like music and clothing and even using your own controller all add to that comfort to balance out the tourney jitters.

I went to a friendly Smash tourney with a bunch of friends from uni, and because they knew me as the serious gamer I sort of had that pressure to perform well, and not to mention I wasn't in my own room, so I played like complete crap.

Lots of things going on psychologically during events and if you can recognize them you can learn to control them.
Good point. Too bad I probably won't be able to smoke or vape in that room in between each match like I normally do though. Lol

Vagrant

Noob
Through the years dealing with nerves in tournament and during other performances, I found there was one main thing that lead to them becoming less and less frequent and eventually basically being non existent. Just, years of reps. I remember talking to Tyrant in casuals after final round for mk9 I told him nerves were giving me an issue and he basically said the best thing to help is going to more and more tournaments.

The more you get used to being in that situation, eventually you sort of have a "whatever man, I've seen it all, I've done this so many time, who gives a shit." attitude that sort of replaces the shakes. That being said, they can still come back during super intense situations but the more you expose yourself to those situations, the less frequent they become.

I've also found that hundreds and hundreds of times playing music live in front of people, helped with being less nervous when playing live in tournament. There's def some crossover. Shame it doesn't make me any better at beating great players.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
They allow headphones and music at major tourneys? I'm thinking I'll check into that since I keep getting nerves playing high level players.