What's new

Question Tournament Debut Soon, Training Question

So, on August 10 there will be a tourney here in Tally. I plan on spending a lot of time training before then. My question is: Should I avoid online like the plague? There are a few guys in town I could play against, but that will only be 2 sessions max. I don't want to throw off my timing by adjusting for online, but at the same time I don't want to miss any opportunities to figure some matchups out.
I'm pretty sure the answer is: STAY OFFLINE AND STICK TO PRACTICE MODE, but I was looking for advice from people that have already played tourneys.

Tournament Info is here, and it will be streamed (well, at least one hour of Injustice will.) Maybe you guys can all shake your head at how badly I play. https://www.facebook.com/events/332753803517840/

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
I think online is definitely a viable option though the quality of your opponents will drastically vary. As far as practice mode is concerned, I would put the computer on Very Hard and practice defense and punishing, also I would brush up on execution skills and make sure you hardly ever drop your combos.

Playing online helps a bit, but not a whole lot.

I say play online sessions then spend at least an hour or two offline.

Ok, I just don't want my timing fucked from playing online. As far as execution on combos go, I've dropped some of the trickier bits to make sure I don't drop them. In most cases, this only leads to a 5-10% damage loss, but I think I'm ok with that. I would hate to drop a czar toss b3 on a stream, so im going for czar too f23 low chain, which I never miss and keeps me at a good range to deal with wakeups.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Play online as much as you want, just be sure to practice at the monitors before you play in a tourney match.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Online's great for matchup experience.. You can see the various tactics that different characters use, which is not something that I believe a CPU can imitate. Going into a tourney, you should make sure you're familiar with every character so you don't get surprised by anything.

However I'd imagine that if you and your opponent both have wired connections, and you live fairly close to each other, you could probably get some quality games in too.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Play both on and offline. They both have their pros and cons. Online is invaluable for match up exp, though.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Play online until about 3 or 4 days before the event. After that do not touch it, only do training and some ladder

Alright, just finished. There were only six entrants, so they went round robin. I went 5 and 1. My win was against a scrubby scorpion, my losses were mainly against Green lanterns. Had fun, but I need to level up.

I practiced for a bit on one setup they had, but the stream setup had completely different timing. I played on stream twice ( my win was on there, hooray) and apparently between the matches they changed the monitor, so i had three different lags to deal with. No excuse though, just weird. I really need to figure this GL matchup out though, that shiz killed me.

Zoidberg747

I dont know of anyone who goes to their first tournament and does well. It takes some getting used to, keep at it.

Yeah, I met my goal of actually winning one match. There is another local coming up in a month or two, and I hope to be better by then, and I hope 'Bo will be better by then too.

BGMD

Noob
My matches are around 1:50:00 and 2:14:00. I think i may have choked a bit, didn't pull of a single combo, but at least I got my first matches out of the way. Highlights include: The announcers not knowing which player is which, not knowing how to pronounce Scottinho (even though i told them... SKAH-TEEN-YO) and "Is Lobo low tier?" "WEELLL, his name is not HIGH BO!"
http://www.twitch.tv/lowtiersteve/b/443676272
Is your name inspired by brazilian soccer players (like Ronaldinho)? Those commentators were annoying tho...

I'm envy, I'll probably never gonna attend a tournament.

Is your name inspired by brazilian soccer players (like Ronaldinho)? Those commentators were annoying tho...

I'm envy, I'll probably never gonna attend a tournament.
Yup. My Columbian friends like to call me Scottinho any time I try anything remotely fancy, and it kind of stuck.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yes oh great Cossner, Scottinho should be ashamed of not doing well his first tournament. For shame.
You're jinxing him even before the tournament happened. If he's at the point where he feels comfortable going to an event, and if he has teh knowledge, then say "you're gonna do fucking great, best of luck". Not "you're gonna do bad because I did bad the first time I went to a tournament".

No sry kthx try again.

Best advice you can get is not "oh, its ok to do bad bby". Best advice is "play every single match, no matter if you're playing against Reo or a 10 year-old kid that only presses X, as best as you possibly can".

Zoidberg747

You're jinxing him even before the tournament happened. If he's at the point where he feels comfortable going to an event, and if he has teh knowledge, then say "you're gonna do fucking great, best of luck". Not "you're gonna do bad because I did bad the first time I went to a tournament".

No sry kthx try again.
All I said was he shouldnt be down because of one bad performance, and to keep at it.

Also btw I got 4th at my first local, but I dont feel like it matters since that was almost two years ago in another game.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
All I said was he shouldnt be down because of one bad performance, and to keep at it.

Also btw I got 4th at my first local, but I dont feel like it matters since that was almost two years ago in another game.
HAAAAAAAAAA