What's new

Top Ten Games of The Last Console Generation

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What are your opinions on the top ten games of the console generation? Starting with the launch of PS4 and XB1 till now. No remakes or remasters, everyone's list would be the Bioshock collection, Halo collection, Uncharted collection, The Last of Us, etc.... that would be way too easy. I was gonna wait to make this thread after The Last of Us 2 came out because I'm sure it will at least crack the top ten..... Buuuuut that game at this point in time has been delayed indefinitely because of our coronacation, I'm bored as fuck, we all like games, lets talk about games.

1. The Witcher 3: undisputed BEST game of the console generation, one of the few times I get down with the circle jerk surrounding a game. CDPR clearly has such a deep love for Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, all of the other characters, and the source material as a whole, every aspect of this game was made with insane detail and care.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2: somewhat underwhelming combat, still an incredibly realized open world, Arthur Morgan feels like a real human being, his story is believable and genuinely tragic. I felt so many emotions when I beat the story of RDR2 the first time. I love this game.

3. God of War: Great reboot of God of War, Norse mythology is badass, Kratos is badass, and the kid wasn't as annoying as I was expecting. God of War did a good job of feeling "cinematic" without compromising on a fun and engaging combat system.

4. Doom: Eternal: Best FPS of the generation FREE, very fun, deep, chaotic combat. Amazing soundtrack, every single stage is fun as hell.

5. Uncharted 4: Uncharted 4 is "cinematic" like God of War but takes it too far, Naughty Dog borders on pretentious this time with the presentation of UC4 sometimes. However, the serviceable at best combat is outweighed by a good story, impressive level of polish, VERY good interactions between the characters (which nobody else does better than Naughty Dog / Uncharted), and this makes the first play through of UC4 really memorable and fun. Nathan Drake is so fucking cool and his sendoff was well earned by the three awesome games preceding it.

6. Batman: Arkham Knight: I think I have this game way higher than most people do, but I love it and think it is the best of the series. I will defend this opinion all day. I ended up dumping a TON of time into Arkham Knight, not only because of the great gameplay, but because it was one of the first truly impressive games to come out this generation. Would be higher if not for the Batmobile combat, the game is also way to easy, even on Knightmare. But hey it being easy is comic accurate to Batman's plot armor.

7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019: Decent campaign that is worth a play through (rare for multiplayer based FPS), really solid shooting mechanics, very fun and addictive multiplayer. MW is amazing to me, Infinity Ward has given a lot of great free content and has offered very good post game support. This is the first COD game I've played in which both the newer audience (post MW2 Micheal Bay) and the older audience (COD 4) like and play the game. People hate on it because it's popular, but Modern Warfare is king for a very good reason.

8. Injustice 2: My favorite NRS game, I think I2 does the best job out of any of their games of hitting a happy medium between balance and craziness. DC is my favorite fictional universe, Sub-Zero in this game is my favorite fighting game character, I had a lot of fun with Injustice.

9. Spider-Man PS4: Only superhero game to successfully implement the Batman formula without feeling like a ripoff of the Batman games. I love this version of Spider-Man, I enjoyed the portrayal of every character except Mary Jane who was the biggest asshole to Peter for no reason, and Silver Sable who was fucking awful and cringe all around. The web slinging and combat are really fun. Stealth sections felt awkward and pale in comparison to Batman's system. The sequel better not make us play as MJ or Miles again (unless he has his powers, I love Miles as Spider-Man).

10. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order: My profound hatred for Star Wars is really hard to put into words but this game was so fun that I remembered why I used to like it. Cal is a good protagonist that learns how to be a Jedi and he has actual limitations. Limitations are rare for SW protagonists these days, so Cal is a nice change of pace. This game does a good job of meshing story and gameplay together. Cal is an untrained former Padawan, not a Jedi master, and the game punishes you for biting off more than you can chew early on. As Cal becomes more confident, so do you as you've mastered the combat system, his victories and in turn- the player's feel genuinely earned. I'd love to see Respawn implement this combat system into a different era of Star Wars.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario Maker

3. Witcher 3 (Really wish I had played it on a PC where frame rate wasn't sluggish.)

Games worth considering IMO(I'm counting some later Wii U games as it came out a year before Xbox One):

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Bayonetta 2

Axiom Verge

Tekken 7

MK11

INJ2

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Smash Ultimate

Stardew Valley

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (It's new but yeah I'm loving it)

I don't have a PS4, so I missed out on a lot of games there. Really liked Doom, Arkham Knight, Killer Instinct and Super Mario Odyssey as well. Wii U had a great controller concept but didn't have enough good games and Xbox One was okay but Microsoft is whack sometimes and it wasn't the console that Xbox 360 was in terms of games. Switch has been lit so far.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Stardew Valley
I thought we were only adding console-exclusive games. Otherwise, yeah, Stardew is one of my favorite games ever. I still play it to this day. (And ConcernedApe is STILL adding free content; give him your money!)

And I've never played it but I've heard every song of praise about Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario Maker

3. Witcher 3 (Really wish I had played it on a PC where frame rate wasn't sluggish.)

Games worth considering IMO(I'm counting some later Wii U games as it came out a year before Xbox One):

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Bayonetta 2

Axiom Verge

Tekken 7

MK11

INJ2

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Smash Ultimate

Stardew Valley

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (It's new but yeah I'm loving it)

I don't have a PS4, so I missed out on a lot of games there. Really liked Doom, Arkham Knight, Killer Instinct and Super Mario Odyssey as well. Wii U had a great controller concept but didn't have enough good games and Xbox One was okay but Microsoft is whack sometimes and it wasn't the console that Xbox 360 was in terms of games. Switch has been lit so far.
I really wanna play Sekiro! Yeah man I don't know what Microsoft was doing with the Xbox this time. The original put out Halo and proved FPS could be fun on a console. Then laid the template for online multiplayer FPS with Halo 2. With the 360, they released Gears of War which was one of the most impressive games out when it launched. Halo 3 and Reach. Then the pretty meh Halo 4. They managed to release ONE Halo the entirety of the XB1's life cycle and it wasn't that good.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I really wanna play Sekiro! Yeah man I don't know what Microsoft was doing with the Xbox this time. The original put out Halo and proved FPS could be fun on a console. Then laid the template for online multiplayer FPS with Halo 2. With the 360, they released Gears of War which was one of the most impressive games out when it launched. Halo 3 and Reach. Then the pretty meh Halo 4. They managed to release ONE Halo the entirety of the XB1's life cycle and it wasn't that good.
Sekiro has flaws but it's a really great game that is hard as nails, typical for the company. What's really rad is that most of the fighting focuses on weapon fights where it has a flawless block type mechanic and it's a really satisfying "NES-hard" game.

You took the typing right out of my keyboard with the Halo talk. I meant to mention how I enjoyed Halo 5 and how I still play it with my buddy from time to time... but man, what a disappointing turn for a franchise that used to be a juggernaut that pushed what games would do. Good game, but not enough content on release and that campaign was tough as a life long fan. And no split screen!? I'll give them credit though, Master Chief Collection is excellent at the moment.

I had all three Xboxes and all of Nintendo's stuff but I'm wondering if my Xbox "4" money would be better spent on a PC that can play Xbox games at this point. I guess we'll have to see what they pull out but it seems like the margins between consoles and PC's are as low as ever.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
By last generation do you mean Ps3 and 360 and Wii and stuff?

From the games that I played:

• Red dead 2 (by far the most impressive thing that I played this generation)
  • Bloodborne
  • Inside
  • RE2
The other ones I played were good, some not....but to put in the category of "the best of the gen"....I think these ones make sense to be there.

Top 10 in no order:
  • Killer Instinct
  • Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
  • Injustice 2
  • The Last Guardian
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Doom Eternal
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  • Titanfall
  • XCOM 2
  • God of War
Had to be careful to not include any last gens that had "definitive editions" released this gen like the first of the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy and The Last of Us.

Dragonball Fighterz and Tekken 7 were close but removed for their garbage netcode. Was going to include the Witcher 3 but I have yet to finish it unfortunately. Same with Red Dead 2.

I was also torn on Injustice 2 vs Mortal Kombat 11. I enjoy MK11 versus gameplay sliiiightly more simply because jump-ins in I2 are still whack, but everything else apart from I2's ugly "everyone wears armor now" costume design I like more.

And Titanfall 1 is better than 2. Amped hardpoint mode is shit and Pilot v Pilot shouldn't exist. Don't @ me.

I'm confused as well.
He means the current generation (PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One).

For me, as I've mentioned in other threads, I don't play a lot of modern games because I find they're not designed for my gaming tastes, and I play mostly remasters and older games. Excluding those, I'll list the games I have played, which certainly won't amount to ten titles:

1. Mortal Kombat XL
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Killer Instinct (2013)
Ha, looks like I've only properly played three current generation console games! I have Halo 5: Guardians in my back log though. If the PlayStation Vita counts, (as it is part of this generation), I'd have a few more.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Top 10 in no order:
  • Killer Instinct
  • Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
  • Injustice 2
  • The Last Guardian
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Doom Eternal
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  • Titanfall
  • XCOM 2
  • God of War
Had to be careful to not include any last gens that had "definitive editions" released this gen like the first of the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy and The Last of Us.

Dragonball Fighterz and Tekken 7 were close but removed for their garbage netcode. Was going to include the Witcher 3 but I have yet to finish it unfortunately. Same with Red Dead 2.

I was also torn on Injustice 2 vs Mortal Kombat 11. I enjoy MK11 versus gameplay sliiiightly more simply because jump-ins in I2 are still whack, but everything else apart from I2's ugly "everyone wears armor now" costume design I like more.

And Titanfall 1 is better than 2. Amped hardpoint mode is shit and Pilot v Pilot shouldn't exist. Don't @ me.
I liked the New Order more than the New Colossus. Shadow of War and Tomb Raider were great as well. Finish Witcher and RDR2 lol

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
From what I understand, this current console generation is from 2012 to present, starting with the Wii U. I think the last console released for it thus far is the Xbox One X.
Yes, I was mostly thinking 2013 with the release of PS4 and XB1 till now. If people wanted to include Wii U games why not. I only said this gen only because there is already a thread for top ten games of all time and the HD remakes of Halo, Bioshock, Uncharted, and The Last of Us would probably make everyone's list. Bioshock Infinite in particular is my favorite game of all time.