What's new

Top Games of the Last Generation

I've been playing a lot of Halo Infinite since it launched, and I realized that it's the only game released in 2021 (and thus current generation game) that I've played! That got me thinking more on last gen, and the top games for me from said generation.

I'm going to split the list in two, the original generation launch in Nov. 2013, and then the mid-gen upgrade which started in Nov. 2016 with the PlayStation 4 Pro. I spent the first half of the gen playing on PC, and the mid-gen upgrade I picked up an Xbox One X and added that into the mix:

8th Gen (Nov. 2013 - Nov. 2016)

Best First Person Shooter: Halo: The Master Chief Collection (honourable mention to DOOM (2016)
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat XL (honourable mention to Killer Instinct)
Best Adventure Game: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Best RPG: Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Best RTS: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

8th Gen Mid-Gen Upgrade (Nov. 2016 - Nov. 2020)

Best First Person Shooter: DOOM: Eternal
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
Best Adventure Game: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Best RPG: __The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition_ (technically came out in Sep. 2016, but it's the only new release RPG I played during this time)
Best RTS: Halo Wars 2

In terms of Game of the Year, that's a tough one as I've really enjoyed all of these games. If you focus strictly on time played, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate is the game I played most last gen with over 24 days put in it, with Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming in second with 16 days.

What are your top games from the last gen?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm not sure what generation it'd be, but Borderlands 2 is probably the game I've enjoyed the most, or at least had an impact on me. Overwatch was also really good.

The older I get the fewer games I play, so it's hard for me to stay relevant.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
For me, this was definitely the generation of disappointing sequels to beloved franchises. There were a lot of sequels to games I really loved that just didn't live up to the legacy of their predecessors and the hype before release. Most of which were fun, but just failed to reach the bar that the previous entries set. Just off the top of my head:

-Nier Automata
-Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise
-No More Heroes III
-Shin Megami Tensei V
-Dark Souls 3
-MKX and MK11
-Persona 5

Although fewer than any previous generation, there were a handful of games that I played and thoroughly enjoyed. The first that come to mind are:

-Bloodborne
-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
-Nioh
-Sakuna of Rice and Ruin
-Yakuza: Like a Dragon
-Ghost of Tsushima

I'm not sure what generation it'd be, but Borderlands 2 is probably the game I've enjoyed the most, or at least had an impact on me. Overwatch was also really good.

The older I get the fewer games I play, so it's hard for me to stay relevant.
The only reason I have the time to play games like I do is because of the pandemic and reduced hours/working from home.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
  1. Witcher 3
  2. RDR2
In no particular order
Ghost of Tsushima
Doom Eternal
Uncharted 4
Batman: Arkham Knight
God of War 4
Spider-Man PS4

These are the ones I liked the most, but there were lots of good games. Witcher 3 is the GOAT, and the remaster of it is my most anticipated game of 2022 if I’m being honest.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I also want to add onto some of my thoughts on some games in my list.

Witcher 3 will most likely be the best game of this generation too once remaster drops. I think that replaying the Witcher 3, due to how well made it is, with how varied the way you go about playing through the game and both DLCs in its entirety, and all side mission, for a THIRD time will still offer a more original and unique gaming experience than 99% of AAA cookie cutter releases.

When RDR2 60fps update inevitably comes, I feel almost the same way about it. The gunplay kind of sucks but it is the best written game and most fleshed out protagonist of all time. I just can’t bear to slog through at 30fps when I know 60 HAS to be coming lol. God of War stealing game of the year from this was criminal. And God of War was great and still made my top games of the generation list. But man that whiny fucking little kid bitching at Kratos the entire game ruining the atmosphere, there being absolutely no thought to anything aside from combat (boring ass exploration with no platforming, and god awful puzzles) brought it down a peg.

Wigy

There it is...
@Dankster Morgan

Yeah i agree- god of war gameplay was just not very engaging. I really wanted to like it but the combat and puzzles etc were trash.

I think the only way you cant say witcher 3 was the GOAT of last gen is if you dont like RPGs. I really cant fault it anywhere, CDPR went above and beyond.

Mattatsu

Noob
I only had a PS4 and Switch last gen (no Xbox or PC).

My favourite PS4 games were Doom 2016 and Eternal (Eternal being one of my GOATs), Spider-Man, SFV, MKX, MK11, and GG Rev2.

My favourite Switch game (if that counts) was BOTW. I haven’t really loved anything else on the Switch, but Metroid Dread looks cool.

There are a lot of games mentioned here that'd go on my list, so I'll just add Hades. It raised the bar so high for singleplayer roguelikes that it's hard to imagine any other developer will come close within the genre in the near future.

I've been playing a lot of Halo Infinite since it launched, and I realized that it's the only game released in 2021 (and thus current generation game) that I've played! That got me thinking more on last gen, and the top games for me from said generation.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
I'm going to split the list in two, the original generation launch in Nov. 2013, and then the mid-gen upgrade which started in Nov. 2016 with the PlayStation 4 Pro. I spent the first half of the gen playing on PC, and the mid-gen upgrade I picked up an Xbox One X and added that into the mix:

8th Gen (Nov. 2013 - Nov. 2016)

Best First Person Shooter: Halo: The Master Chief Collection (honourable mention to DOOM (2016)
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat XL (honourable mention to Killer Instinct)
Best Adventure Game: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Best RPG: Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Best RTS: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

8th Gen Mid-Gen Upgrade (Nov. 2016 - Nov. 2020)

Best First Person Shooter: DOOM: Eternal
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
Best Adventure Game: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Best RPG: __The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition_ (technically came out in Sep. 2016, but it's the only new release RPG I played during this time)
Best RTS: Halo Wars 2

In terms of Game of the Year, that's a tough one as I've really enjoyed all of these games. If you focus strictly on time played, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate is the game I played most last gen with over 24 days put in it, with Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming in second with 16 days.

What are your top games from the last gen?
let me tell u that list is pretty good

Last edited: