What's new

Discussion Top 5 corner games

Icefyre

Shadows
There seems to be quite a few characters who have advocates for best corner game, so I figured let's vote on it. Name your top 5 corner game variations, and say why you feel 'x' character deserves top spot (or so).

Notable Mentions, npo

GM Sub
DB Bo Rai Cho
HQT Predator
Tremor
Quan Chi

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
With the inclusion of double armour moves, GM isn't as scary as he once was, still is though.

Number 1 for me though is 100% Sorcerer Quan; with that armour spell up you literally just have to hold his mixups, and his mixups are scary and pretty unpunishable. Only way out is maybe Liu Kang with his fast normals?

2. Cyber Sub/Cyrax - hard to blockables after hard to blockables

3. GM Sub - No explanation needed

4. Acidic Alien - Although nobody uses him anymore still has all the mixups and massive acid damage; top contender for fastest time to kill I'd say.

5. Unstoppable Jason - That armour breaking chain is bs

Hiyomoto

Noob
Dragon Breath hands down. All it takes is a touch and it's game. Just the most disgusting gimmicks.

D4 into flips that leads to OTG which jails to certain normals. Or D4 into unblockable launcher. Just chill.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Why are people even saying Dragon Breath? Sure Bo gets much more leeway to abuse his dirt in the corner but his setups are and setplay are still extremely meter hungry and overall fairly sub-par in the context of what the corner means to most other characters. Even after using the 1 bar restand the only overhead he's guaranteed is his 9% full combo punishable monkey flip.

Match-up unfamiliarity =/= top 5 corner game.

Hiyomoto

Noob
Why are people even saying Dragon Breath? Sure Bo gets much more leeway to abuse his dirt in the corner but his setups are and setplay are still extremely meter hungry and overall fairly sub-par in the context of what the corner means to most other characters. Even after using the 1 bar restand the only overhead he's guaranteed is his 9% full combo punishable monkey flip.

You can use the advantage from the restand to do a F3 cancel into throw, low, another F3. Shit, even block and bait something stupid out. I think his F3 cancel is underused. I also get where you are coming from with the match up unfamiliarity cause few ever lab the match up against Bo but it doesn't take away the disgusting dirt he has whether you've labbed them or not.

myri

Time Warrior

Oh my sweet summer child...

Ozzy_K

Death waits for a slightest lapse in concentration
Besides the characters that have already been mentioned:
Kano Cutthoat - 50/50, solid meterless and crazy metered damage
Kitana - can go up to 45+ % damage, if she manages to land a starter
Johnny Cage - pretty good, especially in Stunt Double
Cassie Cage - can only get big damage in the corner

STRYKIE

You can use the advantage from the restand to do a F3 cancel into throw, low, another F3. Shit, even block and bait something stupid out. I think his F3 cancel is underused. I also get where you are coming from with the match up unfamiliarity cause few ever lab the match up against Bo but it doesn't take away the disgusting dirt he has whether you've labbed them or not.
I have been caught out by F3 cancel from time to time but that's more in a "why the fuck hasn't he done anything yet?" kind of way. I feel like the mixup value would be a lot more devastating if he could cancel later in the F3 startup. Either way to say it's all top 5 corner game material out of a field of 100 is highly questionable.

Oh my sweet summer child...
I admire the likebait attempt but it means nothing without elaboration.

myri

Time Warrior
I have been caught out by F3 cancel from time to time but that's more in a "why the fuck hasn't he done anything yet?" kind of way. I feel like the mixup value would be a lot more devastating if he could cancel later in the F3 startup. Either way to say it's all top 5 corner game material out of a field of 100 is highly questionable.

At this point in the game I can't be fucked explaining shit about Bo to people who don't know about him anymore. If you really want some explanation, go look at all the shit I've posted in his forum, maybe it'll show you what you're missing.

edit: also not likebait, it's my legit reaction.

STRYKIE

At this point in the game I can't be fucked explaining shit about Bo to people who don't know about him anymore. If you really want some explanation, go look at all the shit I've posted in his forum, maybe it'll show you what you're missing.

edit: also not likebait, it's my legit reaction.
As far as explaining shit about him that people aren't aware of, that very much works both ways lol.

Hiyomoto

Noob

The cancel is useful if you know the players tendencies and using the cancel can cause them to press buttons or even try jumping over which if read, can be appropriately countered with a instant NJP. It definitely would be more useful but gotta deal with what we got lol. I think Bo is an unexplored character as a whole, every variation has some type of armor breaking set up that leads to decent damage into a scary situation.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
1. Sub-Zero, no contest. Sure double armor armor has hurt it a bit but you now no longer have a damaging way to get out. It's give and take.

2. Quan Chi, mainly Sorcerer, but Summoner is fucked up in the corner too.

3. Bo Rai Cho

4/5 are a toss up between half the cast. Everyone reams in the corner tbh.

Last edited:

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Vortex characters like Smoke, Ermac, Bo, Scorpion, are all scary in the corner, but if you guess the 50/50 right you can punish and get out accordingly, usually.

Characters like GM Sub, and Quan Chi force you to kill yourself though as you try whatever you can to get out of the corner.
Blocking their 50/50s and hard to blockables usually leaves them still + or unpunishable due to Klone and Armour Spell.
That's why I think this makes these two the best, they bully you into holding their mixups and make you press buttons.

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
Takeda (Lasher) - Strong 50/50 game, 30% damage meterless in the corner, easy 50% damage, resets, hard blockables, frame traps, good pokes and multiple of setups. Optimal corner damage: 58%

Sonya (Special Forces) - One of the best corner games in the entire game. Amazing 50/50s, if you try t0o jump out of the corner drone homing missile will send you back there, a lot of options and so on. There's no easy way to leave the corner unless you have meter or good pokes. Good armour too.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Prior to the last patch, Bo literally had an answer for every single escape option out of his corner setups with the exception of breakers. B3 and F3 beautifully meaty delayed wakeups, meaty fart shut down tech rolls, great NJP and S4 to cover jump outs, and numerous 1 bar armor breaking setups.

Now that half the cast has double armor specials, armor breaking has become much more resource heavy and you won't always want to spend the resources to do it. However, he's not the only one here that has to deal with that. Still though, worth mentioning Bart could and still can break many armored or xray wakeups for 2 bars. Kitana, Goro, Scorpion, to name a few. Resource heavy or not, that's impressive lol.

On top of all that, every successful 50/50 from his setups nets him at least a healthy 28% into another setup of the same (or higher) caliber. Bo never really has to sacrifice much damage unless you live by the vortex, which still nets roughly about 20% per reset so it's not the worst. And when he fully cashes out of his setups? Say goodbye to half of that health bar no questions asked.

TL;DR - I'm not well-versed in some of these top 5 contender's corner games, so I can't say for certain that Bo should be up there, but IMO, he definitely should be in the discussion.