What's new

Top 10 "Threshold Entertainment" Skins or Gear Pieces You'd Like in MK11?

Art Lean

Noob
Ok, so for the longest time, Larry Kasanoff's Mortal Kombat televised franchise existed in its own world. The only time it truly seemed to be a unison of vision was when Quan Chi debuted in Defenders of the Realm a year before MK Mythologies and 2 years before MK4 (I'm actually kind of curious as to the background of all of this? Did Tobias insist they put him in the show as a preview, or was he created by the TV show and put into the games? I find the latter VERY hard to believe). Especially since I understand a lawsuit took place with old Larry trying to claim ownership of the whole actual intellectual property away from the games; claiming his films, cartoons and TV show developed the franchise beyond the "limits" of the game and that he was responsible for making Mortal Kombat the success it became:

There were a few hints in the last few games eluding to crossovers, such as "don't you owe me a pair of sunglasses?", but MK11 feels like the first time the game series really fully embraced Threshold's "extended universe" as one and the same. We got Cary back as Shang for the third time (after MK 95 and Legacy) including his actual costume from the film as a skin, we have Kano at Goro's dining table in the krypt, Scorpion's movie living spear as a Kollector trade, the MK11 trailer at last featuring the classic "Techno Syndrome" MK theme widely used in the movie (though pre-dated it), the movie Reptile's statue, the officially released French TV ad that had Christopher Lambert advertising MK11:
...And although Larry's Threshold kingdom has seemingly collapsed, it's finally entered beloved nostalgia rather than "that's the TV stuff THAT guy made, vs THIS is REAL MK".

So if you could have 10 things, be it gear, characters or skins, directly from the Threshold Entertainment world of televised Mortal Kombat (MK The Movie, The Journey Begins, Annihilation, Defenders of the Realm, Conquest and Federation of Martial Arts) as future DLC, bearing in mind they seemingly created Johnny and Sonya being a couple, gave us Cary's Shang Tsung which is clearly so beloved it's transcended three different MK universes, Liu and Kitana being a couple, potentially influenced the Kytinn with the Kreyans, I'd say influenced MK11 Jade with Qali, possibly influenced Master Bo Rai Cho with Master Cho, the Black Dragon Fight Club looking like a clear tribute to the opening scene with Sonya... is there anything you'd like directly put into the game from the Threshold universe?

For me -

1) Scorpion's living spear complete with its screams. It was kind of stupid in the movie but after 2 movies and tv series and actually seeing a screen grab of it as the Kollector trade, I'd actually love it in the game for the "memberberries".

2) Sub Zero's 95 mask.

3) Scorpion's 95 mask (admittedly the Conquest version is a cheap and nasty replica, but will consider them the same mask)

4) A Conquest skin for Shao Kahn, still to this day think it was his best look and persona - that skull plate strapped to his face looked amazing.

5) The plain leather costumes for the Ninjas from the MK95 movie and Conquest. Simple yet wonderfully perfect.

6) Kitana's black leather outfit and hairstyle from the two movies.

7) Kano's Raptor Knife from the movie; they officially released that as a collectable, let us use it in the game! https://blademag.com/tv-and-movie-knives/mortal-kombat-knife

8) Johnny Cage in his "smart casual" dark teal shirt and suit pants from MK95 and MKA. He doesn't need to be full army, tournament or out for a Hollywood premier night, please give us just his smart casual look.

9) A long grey-haired Raiden as we saw in the movies and Conquest. Give us a break from the hat!

10) An intro for Kitana and Sindel that actually says "mother, you're alive?" - "Too bad... YOU... will die!" Well they actually named a variant for Sindel that, so why didn't they actually use the (awful) dialogue, it'd be gloriously hilarious haha!

Last edited:
T1+T2 Terminator outfit and classic sunglasses without that red shit on it.

other cosmetic shit I want is:

Classic Stages
and
A juke box.

The standard MK11 soundtrack is such a heap of forgettable trash, I'd really love to be able to change the stages soundtrack to shit like Living Forest or The Courtyard day, so I can rock out while playing the game, instead of muting the music and playing proper music from my pc.

Art Lean

Noob
Ok, well it's just me then... and the guy above who answered a totally different question haha (although Larry Kasanoff did actually produce T2, so maybe he didn't)...

Hmmm, I'd also love creepy black oil ninja Noob Saibot skin and mask from MK Conquest!

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
An actual premier Mileena skin for Kitana would be nice, but alas, I suppose all I’ll get is a damn tooth mask.

Art Lean

Noob
An actual premier Mileena skin for Kitana would be nice, but alas, I suppose all I’ll get is a damn tooth mask.
You've lost me there? Which would be the "premier" skin?

In the Threshold Entertainment series of Mortal Kombat spin-offs, Milenna appeared in both Annihilation and Conquest as follows:

Dana Hee in Annihilation, wearing a pink version of Kitana's movie outfit with a mask:

And Conquest had Kitana actress Audie England portray her in pink version of Kitana's laced-up outfit for a brief few moments (she spent the majority of the episode pretending to be Kitana with sorcery hiding her teeth):

Ok, well it's just me then... and the guy above who answered a totally different question haha (although Larry Kasanoff did actually produce T2, so maybe he didn't)...

Hmmm, I'd also love creepy black oil ninja Noob Saibot skin and mask from MK Conquest!
Gotta admit I didn't read the original post properly. I don't even know what threshold entertainment is/was and have never seen a MK TV show except for some animated movie and the YouTube short films from a couple years ago.

Art Lean

Noob
Gotta admit I didn't read the original post properly. I don't even know what threshold entertainment is/was and have never seen a MK TV show except for some animated movie and the YouTube short films from a couple years ago.
Haha no worries, though as I said, you technically answered it without realising since Larry Kasanoff did actually produce T2 before forming Threshold (so well done!), but I was specifically referring to these nostalgic eras of MK schlocky spin-offs and just trying to give them credit where credit was due since some of their character designs were awesome (and some of them were awful) and the new game actually embraced quite a few little moments from the two movies and show (not to mention various story elements that had already been introduced into the main canon from them such as Liu & Kitana being a couple, Johnny & Sonya being a couple, Cary Tagawa as Shang Tsung, Quan Chi debuting in Defenders of the Realm long before he was in any game, Conquest introducing a race of female insect warriors namely the Kreeyans who arguably were an influence to the Kytin etc.):

Fun fact, Sonya's voice actor in The Journey Begins was also Tanya in MKX and Kronika in MK11...

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Some of these outfits are better than most of the skins in MK 11. MK 1 Movie Raiden would be epic

It's awkward cuz I want to see Reptile's mask and ninja outfit but.....he's not in the game.

It'd also be cool to see the weird Cyborg helmets as gear pieces but Sektor/Cyrax aren't playable.

Plop

Noob
That scene in the original move at the beginning when Liu wakes up from that dream and gets out of bed and reads that letter.

I'd like that costume for Liu

Art Lean

Noob
Federation of martial arts? What was that? Was that the live tour they did in the 90's?
It was made after Conquest and was originally going to be a proper TV series but when that all fell through it got turned into a really cheap and nasty online series that visitors to mortalkombat.com (which was owned by Threshold at the time) could basically gamble pretend currency on who they think would win. I personally believe it was without a doubt the WORST thing ever officially sanctioned in the whole of Mortal Kombat's history.

It proved how far the mighty had fallen for the company, but it did use some actors (this was probably not something they’ll boast on their CV’s mind you), as well as many costumes from the movies and Conquest. It's kind of sad to see props from a $122,000,000-grossing blockbuster being re-used in such an appalling production from the same studio or having Jeffrey Meek's Raiden used as stock footage then re-dubbed like a Monty Python animation. That said, for what it's worth, it's amazing how much better Scorpion, Rain and Ermac's Annihilation masks looked when used on the 95/Conquest leather ninja uniforms... though obviously they didn't have any of Sub Zero's decent gear left; the poor chap gets both the awful Annihilation rubber poncho AND Reptile's mask.

Last edited:

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Fun fact, Sonya's voice actor in The Journey Begins was also Tanya in MKX and Kronika in MK11...
I had no earthly clue that it was Jennifer Hale voicing Sonya in the Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm cartoon.

Learn something new every day XD

I would love to see Kotal get a Samurai themed skin complete with an odachi sword, because he shares his voice with Samurai Jack.

This will be an extremely unpopular request but I'd love to have Shao Kahn's hydra animality from Annihilation as a fatality in the game. Obviously update the look and maybe give the main head horns that resemble the ones on his default helmet or something.

Art Lean

Noob
This will be an extremely unpopular request but I'd love to have Shao Kahn's hydra animality from Annihilation as a fatality in the game. Obviously update the look and maybe give the main head horns that resemble the ones on his default helmet or something.
You know what, I don't actually mind Kahn's hydra. Yes the effects were godawful, the animation so clunky it looked stop-motion, but the eyeless sandworm-meets-xenomorph facial design of the heads I thought was kind of cool from a character design perspective.

Liu's dorky karate man-dragon looked like it had severe learning difficulties however haha.

Art Lean

Noob
Ok, so I never watched Annihilation in HD until just now, I'd only ever seen it on VHS and never knew how bad the effects work truly was. I mean, I knew it was shambolic, but until it's at full freeze-frame level of high definition quality can you truly experience the majesty of how bad it really is.

Please oh please can we have pinhead Johnny Cage... "it... is... GLORIOUS!" :D

Last edited: