What's new

Guide MK9 Top 10 of all time

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
There are a lot of compelling arguments in here.

I just want to make sure all people are being considered.

My Resume:

Shang Tsungs Fight Night (local) - top 8
Final Round 2013 - back blown out
MWC (Stacked Major) - Top 8
UFGT 2013 - back blown out
Evo (all) - didnt go
MLG (all) - didnt go

Before you judge my resume, please keep in mind...I do train with players who got top 8 at evo and MLG, and have won majors. And according to many people on this forum, if you train with great players, you are, by proxy, great yourself. Nevermind what Ive done, its who I know.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Naptown Clutch-top 8 in a 9 man regional

.....Can I get like 67th or something at least?

The only bad thing about lists like these are there are some very good players who just can't get out to tournaments (for a variety of reasons). Who knows what other great players there were for mk9, but we have to deal with who actually is able to come, and those who did go to tournaments did not disappoint.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
If FOREVER KING was able to make it out to more tournaments he would absolutely be on this list.
I feel the same about khtx scar. Him and FK were so dirty. Scar seemed to really excel in casuals and smaller tourneys but struggled on the big stage a bit. There is something to be said about that big stage exp. U notice the more exp FK got the better he showed. One of the reasons i was so impressed with curbos coming out at mlg.

KEVO DA MAN BEST EVA...?

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
Ok I don't mean to take anything away from PL but really think about this, tournament placing is set by your brackets. IDC how ignorant you think I am when I say this but this is 100% true ESPECIALLY for the people that don't play characters like Kabal, Kenshi or freddy. LBSH if PL got matched up vs a pool filled with cages/sonyas at EVO he wouldn't have been able to make it out of pools. Its the luck of the draw. Some people have their kryptonite characters they can't beat/players. Me for instance lets say I ran into Detroit first round at Columbus and lost then ended up meeting REO in losers bracket a match or two later. There's no way in hell I'm beating 2 of the best Kabals at the time with Johnny Cage. I would have not made top 8 and would have been considered a fraud shit talker that can't back himself up due to brackets not being on my side. Same goes for a lot of players out there. Not trying to take credit away but realize that some great players get eliminated early due to characters/player MUs. IMO I think PL had one of the easiest routes to top 8 at EVO in 2012. All MUs were in his favor or atleast he had lots of experience in.

So to say PL was the greatest of all time just because he won back to back EVO's I think is not right. Like someone else said he doesn't really place too well at other tournaments and consistency is the key here. Winning back to back EVO's with a character not in the top 5 involves a little bit of luck so the brackets can be on your side. REO is the most consistent player that's played MK9. Of all people he should be considered the best.
Dude i really actually agree. I finished ahead of showtime in a tourney cuz i had such a free ride. Didnt have to play scar, cat, showtime, mygod or gamerblake. Played brady twice, knocked me into losers and knocked me out in fifth place. I have no exaggeratioms of being great with my low tier characters. Solid but not great. If id had to play any of these guys early i wouldve been knocked out early. Most of the rest of the comp was kinda free in comparison. I pretty much knew who top 8 would be in a 38 man tourney. Was just a matter of which order.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
1) PL
2) Denzell (played greatest MK9 series ever, and almost went on to win both NRS game Evo titles--couldn't leave him at #3)
3) Reo
4) Official MK Champion Wong
5) Detroit
6) Cdjr
7) Bit
8) Dizzy
9) Chris G
10) Early Brady

Wong is on there because his victory is forever a "hold dat" to the 2d MK community and should never be forgotten, especially since he hasn't forgotten and keeps the "MK9 national champion" label on his twitter. I don't care what excuses people have about his win. It shouldn't have happened and the mk9 crew let it happen. However, in spite of that, had Wong played mk9 seriously and had the game been a normal 2d game, and not 2d Tekken, we might have seen Wong do what he's doing in KI.
kung lao was...soooo daaaaamn broken back then

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Don't care. He shouldn't have won. People say Sagat was broken in vanilla SF4 but I guarantee you no MK player who has never played SF seriously would have won that SF4 tournament title with Sagat. I will never forget or forgive the players who were there who let Justin win that. A player with Tekken experience, and standard 2d fg experience won the title. In fact, every NRS champion since who has won EVO has had some standard 2d fg (specifically SF4) training, as well as the person who won Injustice. I wonder if anyone has noticed this...

PL won the first two MK9 EVO titles and he plays SF4
Denzell won the third and he plays SF4
KDZ won Injustice EVO and he plays SF4; his opponent was Denzell.

Reo would have been the first "pure" MK player to win a 2d NRS EVO. This years Evo will be very interesting.
who cares ? everyone played street fighter in their life, its a fun fighting game. REO just doesnt play 'em for whatever reason...

DeathTouch

Iceman
PL's accomplishments in MK9

2nd Place Power Up 2011
1st Place UFGT 2011
Last Place CEO 2011
1 Place EVO 2011
2nd Place VXG 2012
9th Place MLG Columbus 2012
3rd MLG Anaheim 2012
1st Place EVO 2012
5th Place MLG Raleigh 2012
17th Place MLG Dallas 2012
7th Place Final Round 2013
1st Place CEO 2013
5th Place EVO 2013
7th Place VxG 2013

1st Places - 4
2nd - 3rd placements - 3
4th - 8th placements - 4
9th - Last placements - 3

Longest tournament winning streak in a row: 1

REO's accomplishments

3rd Place Power Up 2011
3rd Place ECT 2011
2nd Place EVO 2011
1st Place Devastation 2011
2nd Place Season's Beatings Velocity 2011
3rd Place NEC 2011
2nd Place Winter Brawl 2012
1st Place Final Round 2012
2nd Place MLG Columbus 2012
2nd Place Flawless Victory 2012
1st Place Toryuken 2012
9th MLG Anaheim 2012
1st Place CEO 2012
17th Place EVO 2012
1st Place MLG Raleigh 2012
1st Place MLG Dallas 2012
1st Place NEC 2012
1st Place Civil War 2013
1st Place ECT 2013
2nd Place EVO 2013

1st Places - 9
2nd - 3rd placements - 9
4th - 8th placements - 0
9th - Last placements - 2

Longest tournament winning streak in a row: 5
This says it ALL... @REO Number UNO MK9 Player

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
1) PL
2) Denzell (played greatest MK9 series ever, and almost went on to win both NRS game Evo titles--couldn't leave him at #3)
3) Reo
4) Official MK Champion Wong
5) Cdjr
6) Detroit
7) Bit
8) Dizzy
9) Chris G
10) Early Brady

Wong is on there because his victory is forever a "hold dat" to the 2d MK community and should never be forgotten, especially since he hasn't forgotten and keeps the "MK9 national champion" label on his twitter. I don't care what excuses people have about his win. It shouldn't have happened and the mk9 crew let it happen. However, in spite of that, had Wong played mk9 seriously and had the game been a normal 2d game, and not 2d Tekken, we might have seen Wong do what he's doing in KI.
Outside of the PDP sticks breaking by the end of the tournament (PL actually lost due to the block button breaking...he was at fault for not speaking up, considering Justin had the block button go out on him as well and he mentioned it)...why is that a hold dat? Why shouldn't have Justin won otherwise?

The man is insane at fighting games. I don't think anyone can be salty about him winning, when he actually put time into the game. Maybe not as much as he did SFIV, but enough to keep up with what's new with the game. Had PL made it to Grand Finals, things may have been different, but who knows?

This is the first time I have read this. I was directed here by ppl on my stream.

1. I am going to add to this and round out a top 15/20.

2. Thank you to all who mentioned me, but 16 bit is right in this case. Not having an EVO or MLG top 8 100% removes me from top 10. I'd certainly say I was one of the more consistent overall placers during the games life, but there are also other consistent placers who placed at MLG and/or EVO. So, while I do not think i am far for the top 10 as far as putting a number on it, I would not consider myself in the top 10.

The main reason why I am going to do a long post is because I am tired of all the bickering between ppl from then and now. Nothing more toxic the a community divided.