What's new

Match-up Discussion Tom Brady's MU chart for Skarlet

Deity

Noob
Since we STILL somehow don't have any form of a complete MU chart for Skarlet, I thought it would be best if I posted Tom Brady's chart and worked from there. So here it is( skarlet's number is the first):
vs. Raiden 4-6
vs. Kabal 4-6
vs. Smoke 4-6
vs. Kenshi 4-6
vs. Kung Lao 4-6
vs. Jax 6-4
vs. Kreuger 4-6
vs. Kitana 5-5
vs. Mileena 4-6
vs. Sonya 5.5-4.5
vs. Cyrax 4-6
vs. Reptile 5-5
vs. Scorpion 4-6
vs. Ermac 4.5-5.5
vs. Sektor 5-5
vs. Cyber Sub Zero 5-5
vs. Rain 5-5
vs. Noob Saibot 4-6
vs. Nightwolf 4-6
vs. Johnny Cage 5-5
vs. Liu Kang 6-4
vs. Shang Tsung 5-5
vs. Sindel 4-6
vs. Kano 6-4
vs. Quan Chi 6-4
vs. Jade 4-6
vs. Stryker 5-5
vs. Sub Zero 5.5-4.5
vs. Sheeva 6-4
vs. Baraka 6-4
In my eyes, after the top 10, this chart makes little sense. It almost seems as if he was in a rush to get it done. For instace, he has Sonya losing to skarlet 5.5-4.5, but then skarlet vs Cage is 5-5. I really don't understand how cage does better against skarlet's keep away that sonya, who has a better projectile to stop skarlet from building meter with daggers. Sonya's footsies are probably better also( please correct me if I'm wrong someone). Ill post my revision later, not that anyone cares lol.

Yea he posted that alot of people beat Sub and that sub vs Cyber sub is 7 in reg subs favor which is not true at all -__- more like 6-4 not 7-3. I can only agree with the top 7 he had but because no one plays the others and he probably just overlooks the little ones like baracka and etc he just posted random things that he taught at the moment which are not based off of testing and etc but just conclusions on how he saw a character being played a certain tournaments. He literally cannot place a characters ranking on how he sees others perform with them!

Deity

Noob
Just to be clear Im not trying to flame Tom or his MU chart in any way. I honestly feel like skarlet is an upper-mid tier character due to the fact that she has trouble functioning without meter. I just want some discussion to start for skarlet's match ups so we can have a better understanding of the character.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I suppose I should work on a matchup list for Skarlet and see how well it syncs up with Tom Brady's...maybe I can work on getting some collaboration on it via specific matchup fights...the thing is, any tier list made by one person is going to be based on their experience. A real tier list would be made collaboratively by a group of expert players who together play all of the characters in the game in their best form.

No one plays Skarlet in top level play. I don't think it's because she's not good enough, but more so that she's a difficult character to learn and the people who play at top level play are already pretty invested in the characters they do know.

It's funny - TB props up the ability to "move across the screen with armor" as this amazing ability, and gives Skarlet losing matchup ratings against strong zoners (Noob, Ermac, Krueger).

Deity RedRaptor10 CptXecution

ryublaze

Noob
I agree with some of the matchups but I think Skarlet is very underrated. I believe she has advantage over Sektor since he can't really teleport on reaction to her fast daggers without getting hit by them and his wake-up attacks can get stuffed against Skarlet. I remember being able to hit him out of teleport with a Down Slash.

I'm no pro Skarlet or anything but I'll try to record some matches with my sparring partner Error. He mains Ermac and Sonya, and his secondaries are Johnny Cage, Quan Chi, and Kenshi.

Ninj

RedRaptor10 do that so I can see/review them with you a little.

I'll setup a thread tomorrow to try and seek out some qualified matchups to record on XBL. Maybe I can get FOREVER KING for some KL/JC/Raiden matches.

Ninj

how can someone make a matchup list when only 1 person plays her competitively. And this list wasnt even mad by him so yeah....
Hitoshura I don't know what you mean by it wasn't even made by him (referring to Tom Brady?)...but my matchup list would be as valid as Tom Brady's insofar as it's my opinion vs his. :)

Deity

Noob
were u place skarlet? A tier? B tier?
Though the question was not directed at me, I would place in B tier. I find she has trouble in MU's where she can't build as much meter as she needs. She's definitely a solid character with decent rushdown,footsies, and really good keepaway.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Though the question was not directed at me, I would place in B tier. I find she has trouble in MU's where she can't build as much meter as she needs. She's definitely a solid character with decent rushdown,footsies, and really good keepaway.
If thats the case then how can noob be bottom 10 and have less bad matchups and skarlet is higher than noob in Bradys tier list yet has more bad matchups?

can someone explain this

Deity

Noob
If thats the case then how can noob be bottom 10 and have less bad matchups and skarlet is higher than noob in Bradys tier list yet has more bad matchups?

can someone explain this
skarlet is lower than noob in Brady's list. Or maybe I have the wrong list? skarlet is ranked at 25 in the list I read.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
It's funny - TB props up the ability to "move across the screen with armor" as this amazing ability, and gives Skarlet losing matchup ratings against strong zoners (Noob, Ermac, Krueger).
If you can punish Noob's tackle, Ermac's TKP, or Freddy's glove on reaction 3/4ths of the screen away or closer with EX dash xx up slash, you are Superman.

Ninj

In my opinion, she is not that low, but she is a mid tier character, high mid tier at best. Despite what this forum may think, it is a big deal when your projectile receives ten more frames of recovery.
I agree, it was a big deal in that it knocked Skarlet from being basically the #1 character based on one super-powered skill by itself back into reality.

Another reality of Skarlet is that a standing dagger toss/cancel should only be a part of an occasional mindgame to confuse your opponent on what you're doing (make them think you're about to start a projectile war, then instead of throwing daggers again, go for EX Red Dash to punish whatever it is they were going to do to punish you). A standing dagger cancel should be canceled into a dash forward into red dash into [insert appropriate move here] in order to close the distance.

My point is not that Skarlet's dagger is super strong, damage wise, because it isn't. Its usefulness lies in its utility now, which is still strong.

m2dave If you were to move Skarlet anywhere in Tom's tier list, where would she be? Currently she's #25 - 7th worst in the game. I ask because I'm not sure where 'mid tier, high mid tier' is ;) Is she top 10, 15, 20?

Also m2dave, about punishing Noob/Ermac/Freddy on reaction from 3/4's of the screen - you and I clearly play differently. I pay attention to everything my opponent does, their tendencies, what they're good at and poor at, so that I can make reads. If I believe Noob is about to throw a running man at me, I'm going to EX Red Dash right before when I think he's going to do so. That's how I would punish Noob, Ermac, or Freddy - anticipation. Skarlet is not a Kung Lao - she can't punish people using a 6-frame special move that gives the user half a day to figure out what they want to do to the person. She is very technically demanding in both execution and play-style. Also, an easier way to punish on reaction for many characters is her Blood Drop (teleport). [For the record, I'm only stating what I believe to be facts in the above paragraph. Nothing in there is intended to be an attack on our respective skill as players.]

No one plays Skarlet in top level play. I don't think it's because she's not good enough, but more so that she's a difficult character to learn and the people who play at top level play are already pretty invested in the characters they do know.
I think it's primarily that the good Skarlet players don't travel to majors. I saw some of your matches in that Final Round online qualifier thing, and I think if you entered one of these tournaments you'd stand a good chance of getting out of pools. Like I don't want to put you on blast or anything cause I don't know what your situation is with regards to finances and other real life stuff, but if it's at all possible you should try to get yourself to a major.

Flagg

Noob
Hmm, I actually find I have a harder time against zoners like Sindel or Noob than I do against rush down characters like Cage or Sonya. It's probably because I play a very in your face Skarlet and forget she can actually zone out, which is strange because I adopt a keep away strategy against a lot of Kitana's.

I'm glad Tom Brady has actually attempted to do a Match Up chart, as one was needed, but it is very dubious in places. I think she is at least equal to Kitana and one of the few characters that can nearly full punish Mileena.

But on these forums, most people think unless you're using Kabal, Raiden, Cage, Sonya, Kitana or Mileena, your character must be garbage.

Deity

Noob
How come she's 4-6 vs. Sindel? Her tele shuts Sind's zoning easily. Ain't got XP though, just faced newbie Skarlets so far.
On paper, it looks like skarlet shuts down sindel. I'm confirmed for FR, and I'm taking skarlet, so hopefully I'll get alot of MU exp.