What's new

Tom Brady's Kano Matchup Chart

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Taking a page out of Fly's book(Copyright LordoftheFly 2012)

Raiden - 5/5(I agree)
Kabal - 3.5/6.5(Disagree, it should be 4/6)
Smoke - 4/6(Sure, once the resets gone it's at least 4.5/5.5 then)
Kenshi - 4/6(Erm....I haven't been blown up by any Kenshis from what I can remember, on paper it sounds like I should lose since reflect > knives, but again Kano can rushdown and punish decently. I'll need more matchup experience on this.)
Kung Lao - 5/5(Disagree, this should be 4/6 at the least. I hate fighting this assclown)
Jax - 4/6(I guess so, if we're counting the corner infinite)
Freddy - 4/6(I suppose so, Freddy's zoning is nuts, but Kano can be deceptively fast and Kano has armor on ex straight ball and can clobber Freddy from mid-screen to get in)
Kitana - 5/5(I agree, if this were Kano 1.0 though the match would be 7/3 in Kano's favor though, lul.)
Mileena - 5/5(I agree)
Sonya - 4/6(I guess so, I still feel that Sonya's flavor of the week though)
Cyrax - 5.5/4.5(Sure)
Reptile - 5/5(Once in a while I feel this match could be 5.5 for Kano, since knives can actually really disrupt Reptile's flow and prevent him from fully starting his "run at you with his huge green reptile balls floating around him" routine. But yeah, for now I agree it's even.)
Scorpion - 5/5(I agree, I like this match since it's usually pretty entertaining)
Ermac 5/5(I agree, you'll need to shoot to win and make sure your shots land)
Sektor - 4/6(Hmm....I'm not sure if it's that bad...I'll need more experience)
CSZ - 5/5(Perhaps, I think it could be 5.5 for Kano though since CSZ can't trade with knives)
Rain - 5/5(I actually think this could be at least 4.5 for Kano, Rain's a machine)
Noob - 5/5(Kano's at least 5.5 against Noob, knives can contend with Noob's shadows and Kano will beat up Noob in a fistfight.)
JC - 4/6(I agree)
Nightwolf - 5/5(Perhaps, it's more than just reflect > knives though and I hate when people have that simple mind set like what it seems with the Kenshi match)
Liu Kang - 5/5(I agree, both characters go toe-to-toe in every area outside of most likely corner pressure)
Shang - 6/4(Hrm, I'm not sure...I don't think it's that bad for Shang)
Sindel - 4/6(This is the biggest example here that makes me believe Tom is underestimating Kano and think he's all "throw knives and up ball people out of the air". Kano is 5-5 at the worst against Sindel.)
Skarlet - 4/6(I agree)
Quan - 5/5(I think it's 5.5 at least)
Jade - 5/5(I agree)
Stryker - 4.5/5.5(I believe this is even)
Sub-Zero - 6/4(Hasn't it been the biggest consensus that SZ was one of Kano's worst matches? Honestly, it's at least 4.5 for Kano.)
Sheeva - 6/4(I agree)
Baraka - 5.5/4.5(Sure)

So yeah.....that's my opinion. What about yours?

@_@

NKZero

Noob
Regarding the Sub Zero match I honestly can see why it's in Kano's favour but only really 5.5-4.5. 5-5 is more realistic imo. Kano can out turtle Sub Zero and force Sub Zero to come to him. Knives recover too fast to trade with ice ball. At full screen, Kano wins. At around half screen you gotta be wary of the slide but it's hard to instantly react to a knife toss with a slide. Slide can be baited and if blocked, you're eating 30-odd % damage. Sub Zero will win up close and Kano's slow normals makes him struggle. It all depends on where they are on the screen but I feel that Kano has the upper hand.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
A good SZ still gives me some trouble at times, that ice clone can mess up my approach pretty bad. But Tom's definitely underestimating his original main.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
That's probably my problem then. xP

My aggressive playstyle will probably suit Jax more as I train with him, but I gotta learn to keep my patience.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Any Kind of Kano is at a large disadvantage against Sub. If you're a Sub who tries to hide behind ice clones, Kano can win, if you know how to take the fight to him Kano's options are very limited, to say the least.

If you main Sub and think Sub loses to Kano, you need to change everything about your Sub-Zero lol.

Kabal match-up is only lop-sided if you fall for his shit and try brawling him all day.

Supah-secret tech. against JC: back-dash knife/jump.

Subz. (anything other than max range). and KL (if he watches for zone and does air kick), Mil. and sturdy Kabals should be your only concerns.

Also, since you're directly asking for opinions: Kano has more positive--favorable--match-ups than a spread sheet of 5.5's, but I'm just going to leave that right there.

I donno man, I know he doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but I still feel as though hes in the top 15 at least.
Instant air ball seems to be a powerful tool, he gets the upper hand in almost every senario you can be in. I guess I would want to see what this match up chart was based on, because if its just frame data and frame advantages on attacks then im not surprised the chart says hes bottom ten.
maybe its just me

Yeah dude out of experience Mileena has to be one of his worst match ups
he can't even punnish her ball on block properly. but her pressure is easy to stop with instant air ball, and you can out zone her with knifes alone.
na i take it back mileena isnt that tough for kano

Noob totally does not have advantage over kano. I dont think you know just how good instant air ball is on projectiles. Even his anti air opens him up for an air ballen.

Death

Noob
I do think Noob wins this MU. I see someone said knives is on par with shadows. Thats crazy. Noob has 50/50 projectiles and the overhead knocks them down.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Regarding the Sub Zero match I honestly can see why it's in Kano's favour but only really 5.5-4.5. 5-5 is more realistic imo. Kano can out turtle Sub Zero and force Sub Zero to come to him. Knives recover too fast to trade with ice ball. At full screen, Kano wins. At around half screen you gotta be wary of the slide but it's hard to instantly react to a knife toss with a slide. Slide can be baited and if blocked, you're eating 30-odd % damage. Sub Zero will win up close and Kano's slow normals makes him struggle. It all depends on where they are on the screen but I feel that Kano has the upper hand.
i play with Cyus Strike fairly often offline, i'd say this matchup is no more than 5-5. he can trade iceball with knife on purpose, eat the knive%, and then move in for his freeze combo. kano has a little trouble if he's cornered by an ice clone because he can't upball (he'll fall onto the clone), but he can jump and airball out of the corner similar to a kung lao dive kicking out of the corner. sub-zero also seems like he may have some trouble punishing upball for big damage? Cyus started to try to punish it with 2,2 but the first hit always whiffed due to the upball's tech crouch during recovery. iono. 5-5 to me. as far as it being "hard to instantly react to a knife toss with a slide," if sub is looking for it, it won't be that tricky.

I do think Noob wins this MU. I see someone said knives is on par with shadows. Thats crazy. Noob has 50/50 projectiles and the overhead knocks them down.
noob definitely wins. someone said that kano can trade with shadows all day; that's ridiculous~~ since shadows knock down, noob will always have the advantage in a trade. if kano can get in close, he can bait upshadows from just out of range and toss knives/forward balls to punish, but it can be risky because of the teleport if the noob were to read what you were trying to do. kano can punish exshadows on block from near full screen with a forward ball, which is nice to know, but i don't think many noobs are throwing away meter on exshadows.

something interesting i've found out is that kano's exairball will eat noob's x-ray. if you jump, noob calls out the x-ray to anti-air, immediately exairball to nullify it. pretty nice way to bait someone into tossing away all of their meter. ^_^

i agree with the matchup chart for most characters, except for these~
mileena - 4/6
sektor - 5/5
CSZ - 4/6
noob - 4/6
JC - 5/5
nightwolf - 4/6
sindel - 5/5
sub-zero - 5/5
baraka - 6/4

NKZero

Noob
i play with Cyus Strike fairly often offline, i'd say this matchup is no more than 5-5. he can trade iceball with knife on purpose, eat the knive%, and then move in for his freeze combo. kano has a little trouble if he's cornered by an ice clone because he can't upball (he'll fall onto the clone), but he can jump and airball out of the corner similar to a kung lao dive kicking out of the corner. sub-zero also seems like he may have some trouble punishing upball for big damage? Cyus started to try to punish it with 2,2 but the first hit always whiffed due to the upball's tech crouch during recovery. iono. 5-5 to me. as far as it being "hard to instantly react to a knife toss with a slide," if sub is looking for it, it won't be that tricky.
Yeah but if a Sub is looking for that one move it's taking away from his game and also you can still bait it if you know he has it in his mind. Any arm movement and he'll be flying with that slide. Block and punish. Also if you are gonna successfully trade an ice ball with a knife, you would have had to throw the ice ball earlier than Kano's knife. Knife is obviously quicker and recovers faster so Sub Zero has to guess. Kano not so much. But you make some very valid points regarding the match-up. I trust you know more about Kano-Sub than I do so yeah it could very well be a 5-5.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Yeah but if a Sub is looking for that one move it's taking away from his game and also you can still bait it if you know he has it in his mind. Any arm movement and he'll be flying with that slide. Block and punish. Also if you are gonna successfully trade an ice ball with a knife, you would have had to throw the ice ball earlier than Kano's knife. Knife is obviously quicker and recovers faster so Sub Zero has to guess. Kano not so much. But you make some very valid points regarding the match-up. I trust you know more about Kano-Sub than I do so yeah it could very well be a 5-5.
basing most of what i say off of this player

Cyus plays at 3 minutes in and again at 9 minutes in. you'll see him trade knife/ice 2 or 3 times but sub has a tough time competing with kano's rushdown.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
something interesting i've found out is that kano's exairball will eat noob's x-ray. if you jump, noob calls out the x-ray to anti-air, immediately exairball to nullify it. pretty nice way to bait someone into tossing away all of their meter. ^_^
Good find. Now I know not to try my x-ray on Kano anymore, unless at the end of a combo of course.

Death

Noob

noob definitely wins. someone said that kano can trade with shadows all day; that's ridiculous~~ since shadows knock down, noob will always have the advantage in a trade. if kano can get in close, he can bait upshadows from just out of range and toss knives/forward balls to punish, but it can be risky because of the teleport if the noob were to read what you were trying to do. kano can punish exshadows on block from near full screen with a forward ball, which is nice to know, but i don't think many noobs are throwing away meter on exshadows.

i agree with the matchup chart for most characters, except for these~
mileena - 4/6
sektor - 5/5
CSZ - 4/6
noob - 4/6
JC - 5/5
nightwolf - 4/6
sindel - 5/5
sub-zero - 5/5
baraka - 6/4
I dont play Kano but I do agree with Mileena beating him. I just cant see how he can win that MU. Also how is sonya/kano? How do you do vs Clint? Seems like sonya has a slot of tools to overwhelm Kano?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The Shang matchup is right, all you really have to do is toss knives and shang is forced to rush down. Kano can use upball and all of his other rushdown tools to compete with Shang up close. But fullscreen Kano will blow up Shang.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
I dont play Kano but I do agree with Mileena beating him. I just cant see how he can win that MU. Also how is sonya/kano? How do you do vs Clint? Seems like sonya has a slot of tools to overwhelm Kano?
i've beaten Clint's Sonya the last two times we've played in a tourney setting, it's a lame matchup. sit back and toss knives. punish divekicks with a forward ball or an upball and keep tossing knives. upball will always win in a divekick/ball trade so kano isn't afraid to toss his balls (teehee) wherever he pleases. that being said, she will punish for meaty damage if an upball is blocked.

iono, i've never had a huge problem with sonya, but Clint's is the only one i've played offline. there may be more to the matchup than i'm able to talk about.

this all counts as opinion based of my kano match ups feel free to argue it, I think i read the chart backwards anyway

In my experience kano blows sonya up and iv played some good sonya's but air ball destroys dive kick and cart wheel, knifes are better then rings, also air ball can punnish her x ray saftly like three times for over 30%, plus kano up close is scary even for JC

Kano is also one of those guys that can completely out zone kitana. fighting kitana is a game of watching where she lands and putting a knife there and her fans just look slow to kano. also useing instant air balls for short jumps has helped me save myself from her un breakable on reaction.

mileena is super tough to fight man, i mean she is a bitch. the secret is to make her attack low by never blocking low, ounce she uses her not so fast b3 instant air ball her ass. your blocking high so youl have advantage. zoneing mileena is pretty dangerous and mils D4 will hit get you so you gotta watch out.

Noob isn't easy but you can out zone him. yes knife does not trade with clones, but simply tossing knife isn't zoneing. Noobs teleport is a big no no against kano, so in other words its like playing contra

You better believe its that bad for shang. in fact i wouldn't be surprised if its the games only 23/ -13 match up

I dont think kabal is that nuts to deal with, but probably stronger in the match up. gas blast jump cancel with some saws can really mess kano up

I sure kano has it over rain

cyrax is easy for kano. kano is probably the only charater that can jump net with ease, but thats not why i would say is in kano's favor

Sub zero is one of kanos worst MUs but nobody that can play him plays him anymore and most people suck with him.

as for freddy. air ball air ball holly shit air ball. you can pretty much spam it, you pretty much have to. the more you can stay of the ground the better. he wont be able to hit kano very easyly. but its still in freddys favor but what ever its freaking freddy, they made him him like that so WB can have a corperate boner

i sick of typeing, use your air ball dammit. its instant, fast as balls (lol) and has fast recovery, you build like a breaker of meter a round just by small jumping airball to avoid shit, its hard to read and stops rush downs. it ounce they get wise on air ball it becomes the best mind games. practice practice practice

Kano 11 / 0 vs all

Flagg

Noob
Noob is a terrible match up for Kano.

Sonya is a bitch as well, arc kick AND down kick beats upball, what the fuck?

Kano kicks Ermacs arse imo.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sub zero is one of kanos worst MUs but nobody that can play him plays him anymore and most people suck with him.
Sub is one of Kano's absolute worst matchups. Kano canonly throw knives to try and hit Sub while he's putting a clone out but Sub can then start trading ice blast with the knife. That is a constant threat in this matchup because it's actually fairly easy to trade iceball with Kano's knives. At the same time, Sub can also mash back, forward on the dpad at 1/2-2/3 screen distance and punish the startup animation of knife toss on reaction. It doesn't take anything away from his game to do this. If Kano is dumb enough to throw out random balls, that's going to get him killed eventually because the risk/reward is not in his favour for doing so. Sub has plenty of time to respond to jump ins from this range and d4 comes out like a whip when kano steps into footsies range.

Against a good sub-Zero, kano's going to eventually end up turtling close to the corner because you can't zone (ice blast and slide), and you can't really start offense either (d4 and clone). Whenever sub knocks Kano down, he can simply clone and the clone is a wall to Kano because he has no viable armoured moves to get beyond it.