What's new

Tom Brady: "Winning in fighting games was more difficult in the 90s".

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I would love to play sonic fox in Street Fighter Alpha 2! I can play anyone in the cast in Alpha 2. Reading what you wrote about Chinatown made me miss the 90's arcade scene. There was nothing like waiting your turn by placing your quarter on the arcade cabinet hoping to dominate when your turn comes. When you actually start dominating, the look of fear and admiration from onlookers was priceless!
For sure. lol that reminds me of this time in AC, I was waiting and I was on a 5 game streak vs different guys then they all left. So I played the machine on Master II UMK3. My friend was there he was into MVC2 more than MK, and me MK more than MVC2. So he played this guy next to me while I was beating the machine. The dude half his size was trash talking haha, my friend is the very quiet type. He picked Ryu, Wolverine and I think the chick from Darkstalkers. So he beat the kid and kid just said "man you cheat kid" then took off lmao. My friend was just laughing like "that's what you get for running your mouth" So he's watching me play, I waste through the machine and up to Shao Kahn this kid comes up saying "oh shit you face the master now" my friend goes "dude This guy playing IS the master! lol" Of course the computer is a lot different than a human, but I always thought that day was funny between both stories. My family had gone to gamble, while my friend and I just hung at the arcades all day, good times. I remember people playing UMK3 and MVC 2 and SF. The Tekken and VF machines were always empty though at least whenever I went to arcades it seemed. Sadly the ones in AC are all gone now. Shame.:(

Oh you know of Chinatown NYC? Of course you do lol I forgot who I was talking to, you're out in Cali or Texas or something right? Personally, looking back I don't know how I got some of those combos down on a bat joystick, I just got so used to controllers with good Dpads it would take me months to get used to a stick again. And the lollipop ones for SF, I don't know how people play on those. I'll have to watch you play sometime, you love joysticks right?

I remember this one other time at another local Arcade near me, had MK 4, MVC2 and Tekken 3. I was playing MK 4 arcade til this guy with long hair, trenchcoat came in to play me and randomly tells me "ok maaan to do Sub-Zero's fatality do "Forward, Back, Forward, then Down, High Punch,
Block and Run at the same time maaaann:" I'm like uhh yeah I know but thanks lol.

Meanwhile (I'm using Scorpion, Raiden and Fujin) he says He smelled bad, my same friend though this was few years later than the first story was with me hanging to meet with other friends. So we played at this place which had a smaller collection of machines. So this guy plays me, smells like bad but didn't distract me too much. I beat him and he punched the screen saying "DAMMN MAAAN, I gotta smoke more dude" then walks off lmao....My friend who lives in the hood and still does was like "dude, how could you play with that guy he reeked of weed man" I was like huh? What's weed? That guy had some bad cologne on" lol. He was like dude, seriously? lol He's like that's not cologne that's POT, dude was a major stoner apparently. I was like ok what do I know, I don't do drugs or smoke shit lol. My friend doesn't either, he just knows since he's lived his entire life in the hood so this is the norm for him to step outside and smell pot instantly(at the time it wasn't nearly as big as it is now as more mainstream) so to this day he teases me about it. I was like well that explains him randomly telling me what Sub-Zero's fatality is, meanwhile I wasn't even using him lmao. He picked Sub-Zero but I beat him with Scorpion and Fujin. He bounced after the few matches apparently to get high as it would seem.

But yeah man anyway those are a few funnier stories I remember, waiting for your turn to put your quarter on the machine like "I got next" was definitely a unique experience. A shame all the younger millennials and Gen Zers will never experience, but I'm thankful I got to experience the golden age of gaming, arcades, atari, nintendo and and all that seeing games evolve. I think for this reason with online now, people tend to be toxic, dicks on purpose because I don't think people would be so eager to do so in person. It rarely if ever happened to me.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
For sure. lol that reminds me of this time in AC, I was waiting and I was on a 5 game streak vs different guys then they all left. So I played the machine on Master II UMK3. My friend was there he was into MVC2 more than MK, and me MK more than MVC2. So he played this guy next to me while I was beating the machine. The dude half his size was trash talking haha, my friend is the very quiet type. He picked Ryu, Wolverine and I think the chick from Darkstalkers. So he beat the kid and kid just said "man you cheat kid" then took off lmao. My friend was just laughing like "that's what you get for running your mouth" So he's watching me play, I waste through the machine and up to Shao Kahn this kid comes up saying "oh shit you face the master now" my friend goes "dude This guy playing IS the master! lol" Of course the computer is a lot different than a human, but I always thought that day was funny between both stories. My family had gone to gamble, while my friend and I just hung at the arcades all day, good times. I remember people playing UMK3 and MVC 2 and SF. The Tekken and VF machines were always empty though at least whenever I went to arcades it seemed. Sadly the ones in AC are all gone now. Shame.:(

Oh you know of Chinatown NYC? Of course you do lol I forgot who I was talking to, you're out in Cali or Texas or something right? Personally, looking back I don't know how I got some of those combos down on a bat joystick, I just got so used to controllers with good Dpads it would take me months to get used to a stick again. And the lollipop ones for SF, I don't know how people play on those. I'll have to watch you play sometime, you love joysticks right?

I remember this one other time at another local Arcade near me, had MK 4, MVC2 and Tekken 3. I was playing MK 4 arcade til this guy with long hair, trenchcoat came in to play me and randomly tells me "ok maaan to do Sub-Zero's fatality do "Forward, Back, Forward, then Down, High Punch,
Block and Run at the same time maaaann:" I'm like uhh yeah I know but thanks lol.

Meanwhile (I'm using Scorpion, Raiden and Fujin) he says He smelled bad, my same friend though this was few years later than the first story was with me hanging to meet with other friends. So we played at this place which had a smaller collection of machines. So this guy plays me, smells like bad but didn't distract me too much. I beat him and he punched the screen saying "DAMMN MAAAN, I gotta smoke more dude" then walks off lmao....My friend who lives in the hood and still does was like "dude, how could you play with that guy he reeked of weed man" I was like huh? What's weed? That guy had some bad cologne on" lol. He was like dude, seriously? lol He's like that's not cologne that's POT, dude was a major stoner apparently. I was like ok what do I know, I don't do drugs or smoke shit lol. My friend doesn't either, he just knows since he's lived his entire life in the hood so this is the norm for him to step outside and smell pot instantly(at the time it wasn't nearly as big as it is now as more mainstream) so to this day he teases me about it. I was like well that explains him randomly telling me what Sub-Zero's fatality is, meanwhile I wasn't even using him lmao. He picked Sub-Zero but I beat him with Scorpion and Fujin. He bounced after the few matches apparently to get high as it would seem.

But yeah man anyway those are a few funnier stories I remember, waiting for your turn to put your quarter on the machine like "I got next" was definitely a unique experience. A shame all the younger millennials and Gen Zers will never experience, but I'm thankful I got to experience the golden age of gaming, arcades, atari, nintendo and and all that seeing games evolve. I think for this reason with online now, people tend to be toxic, dicks on purpose because I don't think people would be so eager to do so in person. It rarely if ever happened to me.
This could have been a PM

mastermalone

Use only logic, please

This was a really great story! I know of Chinatown because we have one here in LA in addition to Little Tokyo and K-Town. I agree that the new generation is missing out on the arcade experience. What a time that was. I made so many close friends that I'm still in contact with today. I even played against cool players like Steve from the YouTube show, "Yo Video Games" and Alex Valle before I knew who he was.

I'll always remember those days.

Peace.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This was a really great story! I know of Chinatown because we have one here in LA in addition to Little Tokyo and K-Town. I agree that the new generation is missing out on the arcade experience. What a time that was. I made so many close friends that I'm still in contact with today. I even played against cool players like Steve from the YouTube show, "Yo Video Games" and Alex Valle before I knew who he was.

I'll always remember those days.

Peace.
Ahh ok makes sense. Yeah, those were fun days for sure. Now the internet has changed the game. In a way it's easier but in other ways it kills the fun. Yep later bro.

Last edited: