What's new

Tom Brady Podcast ft Shock: The History of the Modern MK scene (History of UMK3’s Rebirth and Evolution). Q: How did you get into the MK scene?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

@Tom Brady @Shock

I haven’t been able to listen to all of this quite yet, saving it for work tomorrow. But based on what it’s about, it should be a MUST listen to podcast.

Once I finish it, I’ll also describe my entry into competitive MK with UMK3.

I think it would be cool for everyone to give their backstory on how you got started with competitive MK. It doesn’t have to have anything to do with UMK3 or the classic MK’s. Just want to hear all of y’all journey!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just in case y’all didn’t see it in the OP, I would love to hear how y’all got into MK or competitive fighting games or competitive gaming in general. Love hearing peoples journeys.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I didn't really care about fighting games until 2014 when I read an article on The AV club about EVO. It sounded both dumb but also kind of interesting to me. Then next week I saw highlights from the Blazblue Grand Finals, and it was really cool. I dug around the internet about how to get started with Fighting Games, and I found a free guide from Pat the Flip about Street Fighter, which really helped me understand how fighting games worked at a higher level. Eventually I started checking out other fighting games, and then MKX came out and some kid named Sonic Fox was dominating everyone despite only being in High School, and that was really fun to watch. I started tuning in to UltraChen TV, and David seemed to be a big NRS fan, so I started following NRS games much more closely, and that lead me to start trying out Injustice, MKX, Injustice 2, and now MK11.

I'm more of a fan of fighting games than a competitor. I love dabbling in a game to get a good understanding of it, and watching high level play.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for posting this Juggs, I hope we do some more of these and go in depth on more stuff, it's sort of chronological but we backtrack a bunch of times since this was very spur of the moment but Brady had a very good format for questions. I would like to balance the audio and put pics and clips of match videos to this, so maybe I'll do that this weekend and see if Brady will upload that as a bonus.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for posting this Juggs, I hope we do some more of these and go in depth on more stuff, it's sort of chronological but we backtrack a bunch of times since this was very spur of the moment but Brady had a very good format for questions. I would like to balance the audio and put pics and clips of match videos to this, so maybe I'll do that this weekend and see if Brady will upload that as a bonus.
No problem, great podcast. One thing not a lot of people know is that I was “secretly“ training REO for about 6 months or so in UMK3 primarily online on 2006 UMK3. We started out where I’d win like 25-2, 25-4, 20-7, 19-9, 18-10, etc. He got so good in such a short amount of time. And it was 99.9% through just playing, not much else. He just adapts very quickly, no matter the game.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Loaded ass question hah!

TLDR; Bro showed me MK Online when I was 9. Made an account, was in the casual mix as one of those annoying MK kids. MK9 came out and I started going to tournaments, thus "switched sides" over to the competitve side of the community. I think i'm still an annoying MK kid at heart ;)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If you have an issue with someone from this podcast, that’s your prerogative, but any negativity or toxicity that has nothing to do with the topic at hand that is posted will not be tolerated. It’s completely unnecessary.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If you have an issue with someone from this podcast, that’s your prerogative, but any negativity or toxicity that has nothing to do with the topic at hand that is posted will not be tolerated. It’s completely unnecessary.
Vintage Ultimatemk.com level modding FTW

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Vintage Ultimatemk.com level modding FTW
Ahh, I miss that site. Our little community was chaotic at times, but it was all based around our love and passion for classic MK.

I occasionally go back and read that massive UMK3 ggs megathread, but it got deleted and still hasn’t been restored. Which is very unfortunate and I hope it one day gets resolved. :/

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ahh, I miss that site. Our little community was chaotic at times, but it was all based around our love and passion for classic MK.

I occasionally go back and read that massive UMK3 ggs megathread, but it got deleted and still hasn’t been restored. Which is very unfortunate and I hope it one day gets resolved. :/
I have no idea what's going on with that still. @STORMS what do we gotta do?

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
It's been a while, folks! I've been meaning to listen to this, I can't do it on a single sit, obviosly. But what I could listen to today (50 minutes), was great. It would be breat if Shock manages to do this kind of thing regularly (as regular as possible), maybe invite players like Moe, Ded, Reo, Lex, it would be awesome. Even peole don't know much about, like Eddie, Ahn, even Paulo! how great would that be?

edit: those stories you shared about Lex jajaja so true and this is funny, you'll like some stuff I'm preparing. Keep your eyes open tonight!

Last edited:

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
And as for ]ugg's question, I'd say UMK3 got me into competing for real but it was because I started doing tournaments LOL. I was tired of playing the same people and start going to different places, meeting people, visiting far arcades and then when I met "enough" players, I ran the first even and I kept doing it for years and years. Then I knew about U.S. scene and it got crazier for me. I'd say I put Colombia on the map, when it comes to UMK3 & MKT

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's been a while, folks! I've been meaning to listen to this, I can't do it on a single sit, obviosly. But what I could listen to today (50 minutes), was great. It would be breat if Shock manages to do this kind of thing regularly (as regular as possible), maybe invite players like Moe, Ded, Reo, Lex, it would be awesome. Even peole don't know much about, like Eddie, Ahn, even Paulo! how great would that be?

edit: those stories you shared about Lex jajaja so true and this is funny, you'll like some stuff I'm preparing. Keep your eyes open tonight!
I would love to, let's see where Brady goes with this as a series, also Kick Punch Block with Positively Raf has a series of interviews that he is doing, I set up a number of MK people through there and they've done interviews with them, with more to come.