What's new

TMNT Watchtower Recap

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

*UPDATE* THE BALANCE PATCH FOR THE TMNT IS NOW LIVE

It's that time of the month: the Injustice 2 DLC Watchtower! This month, featuring those guys everyone is talking about, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. As usual, we had 16 Bit, Tyler and Derek (campaigning to be the next TMNT leader) taking us through how the TMNT will play and discussing some balance changes coming with the upcoming patch. And as usual, TYM is here to bring a recap of the TMNT for those who weren't able to tune in.

To start, you pick your Turtle by using the right loadout. So if you use a sword on your loadout, you get Leonardo, staff gets you Donatello, so on. When you get the TMNT, you will get gear that will let you pick whoever at start, so you don't have to worry about grinding in order to play who you want. Tournament Mode will let you just pick your Turtle outright, no need to have a loadout ready.

For the game play, all the Turtles play mostly the same, with variations coming in on certain strings and some unique specials. Mileena mains should be happy to hear that every Turtle has access to the spinball special, so you don't have to worry about that. For where they differ, every Turtle has a different trait: Leonardo let's him call in the other Turtles for an assist move, all of which look really good. Donatello has access to some technology that does different things, like making an anti-projectile wall or preventing an opponent from jumping. Michelangelo gets to ride a jet-powered skateboard which lets him move around and gives him access to new moves and stance cancels. Finally, we have Raphael who gets access to a Catwoman styled auto-combo by "getting hype" to build up to 5 bars of trait. However, unlike Catwoman, he can MB parts of his auto-combo to do a different combo for more damage.

The overall concensus from the NRS crew is that they TMNT are easy to pick up and have a lot of utility: if you can play one, you can play the rest. As for when they will release, next Tuesday Feb. 13 for Ultimate Edition/Season Pass holders, the week after for everyone else.

For the changes to come, there's one cool thing to look forward to: you can now select costumes in tournament mode. So at the next major, you might finally see Black Lightning, Vixen or Captain Cold on stage. Something not cool to look forward to: no Green Arrow hood coming in the near-future. For some specific character changes:
Hellboy does slightly less damage and builds less meter.

Sub-Zero has a better hitbox on his J2 and his ice ball has faster startup.

Cyborg's air drone trait has faster recovery.

Catwoman now does less meterless damage. Some of her strings were changed as well to either be less safe or knockdown when they could combo. The biggest thing might be her B3 is slower and now doesn't go as far.

Green Lantern now does more damage in his combos. His lantern bomb has been buffed, the regular version is safe, the MB version is plus on block.

Grodd's Stampede cancels are now easier to do. You have the old method of doing them, there are now more, easier ways to do them. He can now do his D1 into the Mind Control special. His 22 string no longer has a gap (223 still does), which might be the biggest change coming to the character.

Ivy now has a safe wake-up and improved D1. Her ground vines also do more damage now.

Starfire has a faster walk speed. Her F22 now does more damage and the grab variation of the string is a true grab (like Black Canary's 113+throw) on top of some D1 improvements.

Supergirl's D1 is now 9 frames. Her MB trait now uses 1 bar of meter. Her 112 has been adjusted and her straight laser is no longer plus on block.

Aquaman's Trident Scoop and D2 were buffed to improve his damage.

Black Adam's trait now his 3 less frames on hit to lessen his pressure.

Bane's Mercenary's Elbow has faster recovery on block.

Raiden's Shocker is now safe on block. He had some strings improved as well.

We will post the full patch notes in a separate thread as soon as NRS throws them up. Tyler said to expect the balance patch sometime tonight (off the record, don't tweet him or Paulo if it comes later) so keep an eye out for that.

*P.S. For those keeping score, Tyler beat Derek 3-2 and gets to keep the Lantern.

Last edited:

myri

Time Warrior
Supergirl changes are fair, I think the character will be fine.

Ivy buffs are nice but dunno how useful they'll be.

portent

Noob
Very happy with the TMNT. The only thing I can hope for now are some sick retro skins along the lines of the old comic book BnW, 80's and other skins.

portent

Noob
Likewise, it would have been nice to see Red Hood's d1 get adjusted properly. Hopefully that's something they just did and put in the patch notes and didn't talk about on stream.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

Honestly, I'm cool with seeing how this goes. The big one for me is MB Laser now costing a bar of meter. It's stupid to me that a MB move that was as strong as that was didn't cost meter before

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

Ivy still got robbed! Hahahah. Out of everything they've done, they still missed the mark. Awesome that the bed of thorns do damage. I dont even play her but i DO know that Ivy mains wanted a decent anti air. THE BIGGEST THING still left behind with her design. She will stay where shes at.

Sub Zero. HELL YEAH!

Raiden...nobody cares lol

Grodd community got some justice but it aint too big of a buff.

GL WOOOOOO they got THIS one right! He's too damn fun to play but his damage was lacking. So we will be seeing waaaaay more GL come out.

Catwoman...they nerfed that bitch re-tarded HAHAH SERIOUSLY! U got her B3 so slow, she just poses and looks at her own ass. She can't even combo from that shit anymore. Shes destroyed. Sorry Semiij

Starfire got some cute buffs. She should have NEVER gotten nerfed in the first damn place, but F22 is still....eh...

Cyborg is coming along and feel more ppl will most def use him more.

Hmmmm....*thinks*....did i forget somebody ?Question mark?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Ivy still got robbed! Hahahah. Out of everything they've done, they still missed the mark. Awesome that the bed of thorns do damage. I dont even play her but i DO know that Ivy mains wanted a decent anti air. THE BIGGEST THING still left behind with her design. She will stay where shes at.

Sub Zero. HELL YEAH!

Raiden...nobody cares lol

Grodd community got some justice but it aint too big of a buff.

GL WOOOOOO they got THIS one right! He's too damn fun to play but his damage was lacking. So we will be seeing waaaaay more GL come out.

Catwoman...they nerfed that bitch re-tarded HAHAH SERIOUSLY! U got her B3 so slow, she just poses and looks at her own ass. She can't even combo from that shit anymore. Shes destroyed. Sorry Semiij

Starfire got some cute buffs. She should have NEVER gotten nerfed in the first damn place, but F22 is still....eh...

Cyborg is coming along and feel more ppl will most def use him more.

Hmmmm....*thinks*....did i forget somebody ?Question mark?

Starfire's F22 was already good, now it is still good, I really like that string. People do care about Raiden, I know Shujinkydink does, and I think Ivy's buff is good, as a former Ivy player myself. Sub-Zero of course getting buffs as well, awesome stuff indeed.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I had to leave before the end of the stream... was there any announcements about future NRS stuff? KP4, MK11, new E-League / Pro-League anything like that?

Hellboy does slightly less damage and builds less meter.
Pretty sure they said Hellboy now takes a lot more damage.. kinda like Darksied.