What's new

TMNT - How will they play? Tag, Trait, Other?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Remaking this thread due to an error (my fault).

Anyway, continue discussion in this thread that @SneakyTortoise originally began.

Some think all four Turtles will be on the screen at once, while others think you'll be able to switch them out?

Honestly, I was hoping for four different characters, but that is not the case. :(

So, how do YOU think they will play?

Aramonde

Noob
@STORMS You know I created a TMNT thread before sneaky did. You could just moved discussion there.

Edit: nevermind looks like mine got deleted too.

Last edited:

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I'm scared about how they'll play, but I KNOW NRS will do something really cool.

It's funny how the other characters mean very little now since the Turtles have been announced. lol

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You can't rule the posibillity of the variation there. NRS has this history due of MKX.

If the variation doesn't return there, I believe it will be Leo as main char, and the rest as traits.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
You can't rule the posibillity of the variation there. NRS has this history due of MKX.

If the variation doesn't return there, I believe it will be Leo as main char, and the rest as traits.
NRS can do what they want but I doubt it'll be variations... and INJ2 characters only have 1 trait per character.

I don't know, but I'm kinda scared. I'm SUPER excited about the Turtles. I grew up in love with them, so this is super exciting. My son stayed up with me Friday night to watch the reveal trailer and I was shocked. When I saw the trench, I thought it was Rorshach (spelling?) from Watchmen.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
NRS can do what they want but I doubt it'll be variations... and INJ2 characters only have 1 trait per character.

I don't know, but I'm kinda scared. I'm SUPER excited about the Turtles. I grew up in love with them, so this is super exciting. My son stayed up with me Friday night to watch the reveal trailer and I was shocked. When I saw the trench, I thought it was Rorshach (spelling?) from Watchmen.
Some chars, like Sub and Captain Cold, have special trait commands, so I believe it will be like this. If you love them, pray that they don't make them like WoWo (random trait) or Faust (GG Xrd Rev with random throwings).

We'll find out at February. Atom is released at 13th Dec (2 days before my B-Days).

It's Rorschach. ;)

Slymind

Noob
Guessing trait. Retaining some basic strings and adding new stuff to the moveset as you switch, i just hope they do it wisely, wouldn't be fair if he excelled in a multitude of playstyles.

kcd117

Noob
Imagine the moveset...

Mileena, Bo, liu and Kenshi mix

I didn't like them at first but now that I think about it, if the trait really ends up being a switch between turtles they are gonna be a hella fun and deep character.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
It will most likely be Trait under Tag format, when you can tag between all 4 Turtles each time, and they all share the same life bar, and Leo is the starting Turtle by default. Another option that I'm predicting is that they will work like ARIA from KI, which means each Turtle will have it's own life Bar while you can still switch between all 4 of them, but the drawback is that all of them will be much weaker in defense and/or HP, and once one of the Turtles loses his life bar, you can't switch to him again until the match is over. In other words, you start at your strongest form, but the more damage you take, the more options you lose access to during the match.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m hoping that not only is it a tag system, but some special moves are an assist from another turtle. Like for example if you’re playing as Raph you can use a Leo assist where he drops in and does a special and drops out, but obviously lose access to what the Raph assist would be. Maybe the Leo assist is a launcher, Donatello assist is a projectile, Raph assist is a wakeup, and Michelangelo assist is something pizza related, but you could only use those moves if you weren’t using that turtle.

Lokheit

Noob
As some said, it looks like it will be tag in with different roles for different matchups:

- Leo: Mixups and combos (shades of Ninjustu Scorpion).

- Raph: Zoning and some damage (ala Piercing Mileena).

- Don: Neutral game, controling distance (probably we will see here some MK9 Jade or Naginata Tanya).

- Mike: Pressure and staggers.

This has the potential to be a really versatile character capable of getting all matchups at least 5-5 or better. Maybe not as crazy as some top tiers, but with little weaknesses.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
That main peoples guess is the trait to switch turtles, hope it isn't random and can pick which one you want

As long as the sais, swords, pole and nunchucks aren't gear moves it be all good

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Probably just be a trait thing. Could also be something like where move sequences swap. Sort of how Swampthing has the string where the copy that remains on screen isn't same one that started it.

But, then you have to ask what would their trait be, and it's like.....nah. Switching with trait seems like an imperative.

Gear would be another avenue, but kind of a dick move for competitive mode players. It also doesn't fit the "we fight as a team" thing, so safe bet is still trait.

KCJ506

Noob
I just assumed they would come with like 4 different skins and voices...y'all getting me excited thinking they might actually think outside the box a little
It really wouldn't make sense for them to be just skins of each other. Because all four turtles use different trademark weapons.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
A little disappointed that there was no Spawn, but TMNT was my shit back when I was a kid. They also inspired me to learn martial arts so I did 10 years of Tae Kwon Do and loved every minute of it.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I’m hoping that not only is it a tag system, but some special moves are an assist from another turtle. Like for example if you’re playing as Raph you can use a Leo assist where he drops in and does a special and drops out, but obviously lose access to what the Raph assist would be. Maybe the Leo assist is a launcher, Donatello assist is a projectile, Raph assist is a wakeup, and Michelangelo assist is something pizza related, but you could only use those moves if you weren’t using that turtle.
This is perfect and I really hope it's like this. Michaelango coming and spinning nunchucks on block to give you another pressure string seems like a must. Leo launch / anti air assist makes perfect sense, and Donny not necessarily with the projectile assist but the long range poke, and Raph up close with a mix. This can be reflected in the character you play as well.

I don't think zoning needs to be a thing on any of them. It's not any of their signature styles, it's something they very rarely did in the shows, there is plenty of strong projectiles already.

I'm nerding out hard here and I never do this speculation shit but I love turtles so much and would be a little disappointed if it's just a trait that swaps between em

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This is perfect and I really hope it's like this. Michaelango coming and spinning nunchucks on block to give you another pressure string seems like a must. Leo launch / anti air assist makes perfect sense, and Donny not necessarily with the projectile assist but the long range poke, and Raph up close with a mix. This can be reflected in the character you play as well.

I don't think zoning needs to be a thing on any of them. It's not any of their signature styles, it's something they very rarely did in the shows, there is plenty of strong projectiles already.

I'm nerding out hard here and I never do this speculation but I love turtles so much and would be a little disappointed if it's just a trait swap
Yeah for sure! They should fight as a team and it shouldn’t be effective to use just one turtle. Donatello should have the footsies, Leo has the defense, Raph has mix, Mikey has block pressure. And yeah no serious zoning but maybe they universally can throw a ninja star or a pizza slice lol. I’d like to see the skate boards worked in somehow, maybe for mobility like a command dash or maybe like Triborg’s F3 slide, they would skate forward. And a move where their shell acts as a projectile parry