What's new

TJ Combo: Match Up Discussion Thread!!!

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I personally think Glacius will be his toughest match up; given everything we've seen.

Thoughts???

Discuss!!!

Probably Glacius, Glacius does well vs ground based characters lacking projectiles (Albeit I still think Sabrewulf goes even vs Glacius), but I don't think TJ Combo will have any really bad matchups overall. They did mention he has weak defense, especially rising from knockdowns, so we'll have to see just how free he is on wakeup and how susceptible he is to pressure.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Probably Glacius, Glacius does well vs ground based characters lacking projectiles (Albeit I still think Sabrewulf goes even vs Glacius), but I don't think TJ Combo will have any really bad matchups overall. They did mention he has weak defense, especially rising from knockdowns, so we'll have to see just how free he is on wakeup and how susceptible he is to pressure.
Ya, they said he is a lot like Sadira. He must stay aggressive or he will lose his advantage. Once he gets knocked down he becomes very vulnerable.

Which at that point Glacius does not excell at cross ups; so he probably just wants to get hail out for the next setup.

However, Jago on the other hand should be able to cross him up like nobody's business.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
TJ has Armor on his Dash punch, Glacius should not be an issue
One hit of armor if I'm not mistaken. In which hail (breaks the armor) then ice lance starts the combo.

As long as Glacius can keep hail out TJ Combo should have a difficult time getting in. Because unlike other projectiles in this game Glacius is free to move and attack while his hail is out. I think this spells bad new for TJ Combo.

He can't stand there because of shatter (so he has to jump) and if it's a long range shatter Glacius can recover in time to block TJ Combo's armored dash.

I could be wrong but from all the footage I have watched I would say 6-4 Glacius. TJ Combo has struggled in every video I saw of him against Glacius.

Just my opinion.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
One hit of armor if I'm not mistaken. In which hail (breaks the armor) then ice lance starts the combo.

As long as Glacius can keep hail out TJ Combo should have a difficult time getting in. Because unlike other projectiles in this game Glacius is free to move and attack hit while his hail is out. I think this spells bad new for TJ Combo.

He can't stand there because of shatter (so he has to jump) and if it's a long range shatter Glacius can recover in time to block TJ Combo's armored dash.

I could be wrong but from all the footage I have watched I would say 6-4 Glacius. TJ Combo has struggled in every video I saw of him against Glacius.

Just my opinion.
Yah your right lol, I haven't faced one in a long time cause I'm salty about the Unblockable set up, so I avoid them right now.

He def could be a problem. But I think once TJ gets in he could really wreck shit, but he will probably never get in lol. I guess we have to see when TJ is done.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I played a handful of matches at my friends house last week, too bad it's only on One (PS fanboy :x). Pretty intense game, takes me back to the original on SNES. They did a good job, such a low number of characters though :(

And armor on dash punch? I smell Jax.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I played a handful of matches at my friends house last week, too bad it's only on One (PS fanboy :x). Pretty intense game, takes me back to the original on SNES. They did a good job, such a low number of characters though :(

And armor on dash punch? I smell Jax.
I guess you could call me Xbox fanboy...hehe!!!

There may only be 8 characters but there is more balance and diversity in those 8 characters than most other fighting games that have 30+ characters...FOR REAL!!!

Ya, they said he is a lot like Sadira. He must stay aggressive or he will lose his advantage. Once he gets knocked down he becomes very vulnerable.

Which at that point Glacius does not excell at cross ups; so he probably just wants to get hail out for the next setup.

However, Jago on the other hand should be able to cross him up like nobody's business.
Thats what I'm thinking. So far the only viable wakeup option I see TJ combo having judging by what I've seen on videos is that uppercut launcher. He does have the forward backhanded spinning punch move and the divepunch but they look unviable as a wakeup option. The charge punch has a hit of armor but don't know if that will have invulnerable frames on startup (could probably blow that shit up on wakeup with a throw for all we know) . The uppercut punch seems to have the right frames for a wakeup move, dont know if it has any invulnerable frames on startup though and what kind of hurtbox it has. From what I have seen and heard the devs say, I have a feeling TJ Combo will be free to meaties and pressure on wakeup with a terrible defensive options, and my reasoning is that he seems super strong on the offensive spectrum judging by all the crazy shit he has, friggin command grab, aerial recapture, good normals, crazy oki options, unorthodox combo mechanics that will probably take time to get used to, a wall spat punch that carries and has armor and is cancelable into fakeouts and harrowing mindgames, ground pound to trip up zoners, an instinct that gives him footwork that puts muhamed ali to shame, and the list goes on. Another good indicator is his instinct mechanic, it can be used defensively and even allows you to come back from ultras and losses. I don't think any legit FG developer would give a character with crazy offensive options a tool like this. As you said similar to sadira, she has crap defense but makes up for it with air pressure completely negating traditional footsies and ground game plus the x factor web shenanigans.

As long as Glacius can keep hail out TJ Combo should have a difficult time getting in. Because unlike other projectiles in this game Glacius is free to move and attack while his hail is out. I think this spells bad new for TJ Combo.

Just my opinion.
Exactly why I believe Glacius will give him some trouble. The hail is going to be a problem for TJ combo in this matchup, similar to the orchid matchup where the Orchid has to work their way in and be patient and can't yolo slide their way in since your hail acts as an assist and jumping will just get them yoga sniped from the air. Jumping is a good way to die vs glacius, not only can he snipe you he can punish your trip guard with a nice shatter or an icelance to the face.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Thats what I'm thinking. So far the only viable wakeup option I see TJ combo having judging by what I've seen on videos is that uppercut launcher. He does have the forward backhanded spinning punch move and the divepunch but they look unviable as a wakeup option. The charge punch has a hit of armor but don't know if that will have invulnerable frames on startup (could probably blow that shit up on wakeup with a throw for all we know) . The uppercut punch seems to have the right frames for a wakeup move, dont know if it has any invulnerable frames on startup though and what kind of hurtbox it has. From what I have seen and heard the devs say, I have a feeling TJ Combo will be free to meaties and pressure on wakeup with a terrible defensive options, and my reasoning is that he seems super strong on the offensive spectrum judging by all the crazy shit he has, friggin command grab, aerial recapture, good normals, crazy oki options, unorthodox combo mechanics that will probably take time to get used to, a wall spat punch that carries and has armor and is cancelable into fakeouts and harrowing mindgames, ground pound to trip up zoners, an instinct that gives him footwork that puts muhamed ali to shame, and the list goes on. Another good indicator is his instinct mechanic, it can be used defensively and even allows you to come back from ultras and losses. I don't think any legit FG developer would give a character with crazy offensive options a tool like this. As you said similar to sadira, she has crap defense but makes up for it with air pressure completely negating traditional footsies and ground game plus the x factor web shenanigans.

Exactly why I believe Glacius will give him some trouble. The hail is going to be a problem for TJ combo in this matchup, similar to the orchid matchup where the Orchid has to work their way in and be patient and can't yolo slide their way in since your hail acts as an assist and jumping will just get them yoga sniped from the air. Jumping is a good way to die vs glacius, not only can he snipe you he can punish your trip guard with a nice shatter or an icelance to the face.
Dude no way!!!

I'm from Stuart FL. I had my kidney transplant in Jackson Memorial in downtown Miami.

Small world...God Bless.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The Maximillian interview w/ Keits suggested that Combo is roughly 50% done, so it's tough to speculate on all of his options.