What's new

Tired after playing online ranked?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Cosmetic rewards in a soccer game? That's a new one but then I haven't played Fifa in years tbh lol don't forget the grind in MK 11 for everything else is annoying af. Play the gauntlet for a few towers and you'll agree lol

What I've learned in my gaming career is that results come when you care about them the least. It happened in Fifa, FPS games, fighting games,...

Sit back, relax, pick a character you like no matter what people think about it, put on some music and just play. Don't even look at what rank you are, how many points you get for the next fight etc.

This works for me.
Interesting philosophy, I agree. It's just sometimes when you want to win it's hard to not care about the end result you know what I mean? But you're right, I've heard this works for some gamers as well as sports teams when you go out there confident yet just have fun things work out but when you press, stress yourself out, worrying etc you don't do as well.

Sazbak

Noob
Well, if you are a grown ass man and actually have a special someone to care about, do the laundry, cook regularly and work an occasional overtime, then dealing with random online teabaggers (1 out of 4 times you lose on average), open mics over loud noises to distract you, having people disconnect before the "finish him/her" so that they won't lose the 120+points you just earned, getting hatemail every now and having to play 50 ping matches that during gameplay they rise up to 300 plus Leonidas...
Am I saying it right? Am I in your head? Can you feel me?
EDIT: consider all the above while you are supposed to entertain yourself on your free time while playing your favourite game that should travel you back to the lighter teenage years.
You nailed it completely. Completely.

ferdog8

Noob
I really like this game, but as many have pointed out before: it is smart to limit your ranked intake.
I play ranked only when I'm feeling competitive and feel like "achieving" something, even if that something is imaginary points on a made up scale that are worth nothing.

Else, I play casual and don't give a damn about winning or losing. I really don't care that my casual record says I've lost a lot more than I've won. I care that I laughed a lot during those games by completing (or failing miserably) little stupid challenges that I placed for myself.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I don't agree here. Losing should motivate people to play, instead of running away (idk if you're serious tho).

I limit my playtimes kinda strict to 1-2 hours. As other mentioned, you need to focus the whole time when you play the game.
I would agree but not when it comes to ranked. Losing in 1v1s, casuals and KOTHs are fine, but losing in ranked is gonna make you angry regardless and if you're angry you're gonna play like ass.

Ain't no one gonna get better by playing in ranked, 90% of people play like scrubby fucks and you'll actually get even more bad habits playing that dumbass mode.
Then again, I play Kano so I can play like a maniac in any situation. :REO

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Ain't no one gonna get better by playing in ranked, 90% of people play like scrubby fucks and you'll actually get even more bad habits playing that dumbass mode.
I disagree.... If you're able to mentally set aside KL tactics and recognize them as such....one thing KL taught me is how to go into KL mode and identify when to use cheap KL tactics that I'd never do regularly in an extended set. The overwhelming majority of my play last few months has been KL and I feel like I've definitely gotten better when I compare my play to the handful of times I run extended sets. My first game might be trash but my adapting, my neutral, anti-airing, spacing, anticipation and reads have all gotten better. I even re-watch some of my sets when I'm playing well and I don't even know how I made some of my reads. That kinda stuff never happened a few months ago.
I do agree though, it's probably way more efficient leveling up with extended sets. Thats why I been tryin to search for more of those types of games lol.

"KL tactics" kinda lead me to another tangential topic...I've begun to notice how many times when I watch high level extended sets, during close sets the balance sometimes tips over to the player who starts using "KL tactics" like spamming jump ins, triple poking on block, disrespecting frames, etc. So I don't necessarily think KL teaches you bad habits if you understand implicitly that those tactics are for using rarely, not regularly.

Not tired of playing KL, just tired of being matched up with people waaaaay above my level and just holding the block button because i can't get any other buttons out.

Sazbak

Noob
I disagree.... If you're able to mentally set aside KL tactics and recognize them as such....one thing KL taught me is how to go into KL mode and identify when to use cheap KL tactics that I'd never do regularly in an extended set. The overwhelming majority of my play last few months has been KL and I feel like I've definitely gotten better when I compare my play to the handful of times I run extended sets. My first game might be trash but my adapting, my neutral, anti-airing, spacing, anticipation and reads have all gotten better. I even re-watch some of my sets when I'm playing well and I don't even know how I made some of my reads. That kinda stuff never happened a few months ago.
I do agree though, it's probably way more efficient leveling up with extended sets. Thats why I been tryin to search for more of those types of games lol.
I still do those FT2 gimmick plays in FT10s but only sporadically. Even 1 successful gimmick can give you a 1 game lead that can win you the FT10.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I still do those FT2 gimmick plays in FT10s but only sporadically. Even 1 successful gimmick can give you a 1 game lead that can win you the FT10.
I agree 100%. I think part of getting better at this game's meta is recognizing the cheese and understanding what is cheese, and analyzing your opponent fast enough to know when to utilize that cheese to win the set. Lol. Cheese Kombat

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

"KL tactics" kinda lead me to another tangential topic...I've begun to notice how many times when I watch high level extended sets, during close sets the balance sometimes tips over to the player who starts using "KL tactics" like spamming jump ins, triple poking on block, disrespecting frames, etc. So I don't necessarily think KL teaches you bad habits if you understand implicitly that those tactics are for using rarely, not regularly.
For sure, but I don't think being disrespectful is a KL tactic, you have to be disrespectful so you can to throw a wrench in the opponent's staggers and conditioning.

I'm talking more about like mashing random shit when in your face, not playing neutral, just always pressing buttons, not blocking on wake up. Once you get to a real set and people wake up or delay then you'll have to change the way you play. That's just why I try not to play the KL for too long.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
For sure, but I don't think being disrespectful is a KL tactic, you have to be disrespectful so you can to throw a wrench in the opponent's staggers and conditioning.

I'm talking more about like mashing random shit when in your face, not playing neutral, just always pressing buttons, not blocking on wake up. Once you get to a real set and people wake up or delay then you'll have to change the way you play. That's just why I try not to play the KL for too long.
I don't think there is something like "disrespect" in fighting games. Every tactic which leads to success is legal. Even mashing random buttons or randomly throw out fbs or unsafe stuff can be a good tactic, when your opponent isn't prepared :).

DeftMonk

Noob
This game has 50\50s coming at you at a pretty fast pace compared to any other fighter I’ve ever played. I mean after a blocked LK jump kick now uve got a 50/50 comin, if he does 12 now he’s plus and another 50/50 is comin. Or F4 shenanigans also at any point u need to swap from “defend this 50/50 to “Take your turn back” mindset real fast if he pokes instead. When it’s my turn the game feels different because my gameplan is obviously planned out,but while defending it does seem more mentally taxing than the average fighter.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I find KL pretty taxing, I can run a long set with 1 person with a solid connection for a long time. But the 120 ping 3 bar Wifi KL warrior matches really do drain me. Also the KL strategy of never stop pushing buttons is really frustrating, really makes all the hitbox/hurtbox issues way more apparent.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I don't think there is something like "disrespect" in fighting games. Every tactic which leads to success is legal. Even mashing random buttons or randomly throw out fbs or unsafe stuff can be a good tactic, when your opponent isn't prepared :).
Bruh, lmao, disrespecting in FGs means you steal their turn during their plus frames.

MKF30

I would agree but not when it comes to ranked. Losing in 1v1s, casuals and KOTHs are fine, but losing in ranked is gonna make you angry regardless and if you're angry you're gonna play like ass.

Very true, plus I think with a lot of people(myself included) it's not so much when you lose and get mad but in MK 11's case HOW you lose. It often happens to something dumb like a desync, foe cheating and you still lose points or some wacky gameplay inconsistent nonsense like losing from a bad hitbox, like someone jump kicks you and you're on the other side of them and somehow get hit lol. I definitely feel from my experience too that Kano and Kung Lao players all play like maniacs, just throwing random shit out that works most of the time. It's quite fascinating and annoying af at the same time.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Very true, plus I think with a lot of people(myself included) it's not so much when you lose and get mad but in MK 11's case HOW you lose. It often happens to something dumb like a desync, foe cheating and you still lose points or some wacky gameplay inconsistent nonsense like losing from a bad hitbox, like someone jump kicks you and you're on the other side of them and somehow get hit lol. I definitely feel from my experience too that Kano and Kung Lao players all play like maniacs, just throwing random shit out that works most of the time. It's quite fascinating and annoying af at the same time.
Yep, the thing that pisses me off about this game is when you're couch blocking you wanna do a B3 for example, but you get a special that comes out that's mapped to bd3 like I fucking hate that shit. It made me lose a game once I almost threw my controller at the screen.

Kano isn't about doing random shit, you just have to take risks cause everything he does is unsafe apart from his F12B2 string now. So you can actually play the game and stagger, but still. His mixes are slow and you just have to play quickly and not let them think too much.

MKF30

Yep, the thing that pisses me off about this game is when you're couch blocking you wanna do a B3 for example, but you get a special that comes out that's mapped to bd3 like I fucking hate that shit. It made me lose a game once I almost threw my controller at the screen.

Kano isn't about doing random shit, you just have to take risks cause everything he does is unsafe apart from his F12B2 string now. So you can actually play the game and stagger, but still. His mixes are slow and you just have to play quickly and not let them think too much.
Right, I mean KL definitely seems more random than Kano imo. I should say with Kano I will sometimes have trouble with his simplicity, like people literally tend to throw me off with his F4 or F3(I forget) and that damn rolly ball...One thing I'll admit I can't stand about Kano is his armored kano ball, I hate that shit. It's literally Kabal's armor dash from MK 9. I tend to keep him far because I don't trust him near me lol haha.

It has a lot to do with the obligation that the game imposes on you to compete.
This game is very stressful for a lot of reasons that i mentioned before in other threads....and what you feel can be...can be...related to stress.

Stress in intense levels can make you tired.

I honestly recommend all of you to send a big fuck yourself to WARNER BROS and don't play this game online anymore.
It is not worth it.

What I've learned in my gaming career is that results come when you care about them the least. It happened in Fifa, FPS games, fighting games,...

Sit back, relax, pick a character you like no matter what people think about it, put on some music and just play. Don't even look at what rank you are, how many points you get for the next fight etc.

This works for me.
This. Partially due to people caring way too much for their K/D ratio and KL ranks etc. Imo it's as stressful as you, yourself, want to make it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

That stuff ends at a certain rank, though. Like sure, people will do random stuff all the way through Master, maybe Grandmaster, but you’re going to see plenty of varied/smart wakeups and much better defense around Demi-God/God rank.

And then I haven’t been to Elder God, but I’m sure it’s half people we know and another half people who don’t bother to compete but are still good enough to if they wanted to.

Imo there’s always something to be learned from KL if you’re not at the highest rank, and I see a bunch of people making excuses for it here instead of getting everything they can out of it.

People playing randomly are basically free wins if you’re patient, so it’s just an invitation to rank up/tighten up.

Last edited: