What's new

Tips & Tricks To Get Into Master Rank & Above! (Kombat League)

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
So let me point out the OBVIOUS. EVERYONE is climbing the ladder and everyone will eventually be in the same rank. There is a "HOWEVER" here. Not everyone is going to climb the ladder at the same progression. For some their skill level will hold them back. For others it could be work, real life things so time is taken away. I'm writing this post/mini-guide for those who are struggling and want to climb faster.

The beautiful thing about Kombat League is that your fighting someone at the SAME if not lower/higher skill level hence another reason why the progression will take so long. And just for credibility:

Tip 1: Winning streak. The more you win the more points you rack up. And I'm talking about OVERALL. as you can see I'm sitting with 2017 and that's because I had long winning streaks.
Tip 2: Sandbag. I cannot stress this enough. Sandbag your opponent, make them believe you don't know the match up or the character. Do it smart.
Tip 3: Take your time entering the match, if you lose take your time with a mini break before the next round.
Tip 4: Analyze the breakdown. NRS implemented this new mechanic and you should abuse it to your knowledge. It's only available after round 1/round 2 if you lose.
Tip 5: Use an OFF-META character. I know this is hella extreme because their the top tier characters but hear me out. There is much more people here at the top ranks who know how to beat Scorps and Geras. (I climbed the ladder with Raiden and Skarlet so)
Tip 6: Following tip #5 use Shang Tsung. New character = unknown match-up.
Tip 7: FORFEIT. Yes lmfaooo this is an actual tip. Do not waste time your precious time. If you are fighting for 10 points and it's up against a Scrop just hit the forfeit. Trust me it's not worth it. And trust me there is no dishonor or disgrace to your character or you, if you do hit the button.
Tip 8: Going back to tip#2 "There is no knowledge that is not power" with Raiden I always make sure to check if they know they can duck Storm Cell. If they don't duck I abuse the hell out of that knowledge. This is the opposite of sandbaging. Find their weakness and use it against them.

These are my tips if any of you have anything to add feel free. I can honestly say Kombat League is VASTLY different from regular rank. This is a system guarantee to help become a better fighting game player.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Pfft, forfeit against a Scorpion? Nah, I play Cassie fam.

Also, I would rather play and do my best regardless. I could have forfeit against an Erron Black but I didn't and I won, it was pretty damn satisfying.

Ayx

Omnipresent
Tip 1: Winning streak. The more you win the more points you rack up. And I'm talking about OVERALL. as you can see I'm sitting with 2017 and that's because I had long winning streaks.
Tip 2: Sandbag. I cannot stress this enough. Sandbag your opponent, make them believe you don't know the match up or the character. Do it smart.
Tip 3: Take your time entering the match, if you lose take your time with a mini break before the next round.
Tip 4: Analyze the breakdown. NRS implemented this new mechanic and you should abuse it to your knowledge. It's only available after round 1/round 2 if you lose.
Tip 5: Use an OFF-META character. I know this is hella extreme because their the top tier characters but hear me out. There is much more people here at the top ranks who know how to beat Scorps and Geras. (I climbed the ladder with Raiden and Skarlet so)
Tip 7: FORFEIT. Yes lmfaooo this is an actual tip. Do not waste time your precious time. If you are fighting for 10 points and it's up against a Scrop just hit the forfeit. Trust me it's not worth it. And trust me there is no dishonor or disgrace to your character or you, if you do hit the button.
Tip 8: Going back to tip#2 "There is no knowledge that is not power" with Raiden I always make sure to check if they know they can duck Storm Cell. If they don't duck I abuse the hell out of that knowledge. This is the opposite of sandbaging. Find their weakness and use it against them.

These are my tips if any of you have anything to add feel free. I can honestly say Kombat League is VASTLY different from regular rank. This is a system guarantee to help become a better fighting game player.
First off, congrats on grinding to the 2k point mark. Doing it earlier is definitely harder than later because there's less people at the higher ranks meaning that chances of you getting 10pts is much larger. That being said, the fact that you're making this post "Master rank and above!!!" is a huuuuuuuuuuge stretch. First off, you're not Master rank yourself so you don't even know the penalties of losses just yet. Hell if you lose to an apprentice or kombatant as warrior rank alone you drop decent points. Remember it's easier now because these are the first 3-4 ranks where no one loses points if they're in the same rank group. We don't know if that necessarily applies to end game ranks which I doubt because then we will keep having 35w-35L players climbing the Elder God rank which I'm pretty sure is not the purpose of this. It's an ELO wrapper skin basically. But until we have proof, speculating does nothing and having your title as such is misleading IMO.

Regarding your tips:
  1. Winning streak means nothing. The XP boost is for profile & gear as far as we know. I've been on multiple 5+ streaks and haven't noticed a difference rank wise. On Ps4 earllier today NinjaKilla had a 41-0 record yet had just barely cracked the new rank.
  2. Kinda hard to do on a FT2. Sandbagging is not always good, sometimes they go for disrespectful gimmicks because they analyze your skill level as someone who wouldn't know an answer to. Seems like an unnecessary risk.
  3. Good advice. It's easy to get tilted and if you smash the rematch button you risk starting with a hot head.
  4. Also good advice. This gives you an idea to what kind of buttons these people worked the most on, take some time to read and see how you can counter it.
  5. Doesn't need to be off meta. Plenty of top players on leaderboards atm are Erron, Liu, Cassie etc. They're top chars for a reason. Off meta is good for some gimmicks but sometimes fundamentals are key and top chars got that in spades.
  6. Good advice. Some people are cheesing their way to wins because those w/o the kombat pack cannot even practice against him in practice mode for a week.
  7. .................... next.
  8. Basically what I said in tip 2.
Right now it seems fun but that's because as long as you're in the same rank (Which more and more people will be) you don't lose points. It all comes down to how the system goes for higher tiers down the line. This is a good "How to get Champion" because you literally don't have to be good or even be average. Just that the more average you are the more grind you have because as I said there's no penalty if you lose against a same rank but gain 40pts on a win. Basically meaning people are just gaining points at no loss. Especially if you play in peak US hours. non-peak US hours is harder because there's less people meaning chances of getting lower rank players are higher... meaning you risk losing points and get 10pts and they're usually decent players as well. So basically, play during peak USA hours.

I'm getting my ass handed to me but this mode is hella fun. Dunno what it is but I get very low connection ratings way more often than in the old ranked and kasual systems.

Anyone knows how you can save replays for later watching? Sometimes I'm doing a set and didn't write my questions afterwards down, but after another 10 matches or so, the replays are deleted from my recent games list and I dunno where to find them.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I'm getting my ass handed to me but this mode is hella fun. Dunno what it is but I get very low connection ratings way more often than in the old ranked and kasual systems.

Anyone knows how you can save replays for later watching? Sometimes I'm doing a set and didn't write my questions afterwards down, but after another 10 matches or so, the replays are deleted from my recent games list and I dunno where to find them.
Go to the replays record, then go to the one you want to save, press options button (in ps4) and mark the replay as favourite. Then it will always remain at the top of the list, so it will not be removed as new records are added.

Last edited:

nicktho

Noob
So let me point out the OBVIOUS. EVERYONE is climbing the ladder and everyone will eventually be in the same rank. There is a "HOWEVER" here. Not everyone is going to climb the ladder at the same progression. For some their skill level will hold them back. For others it could be work, real life things so time is taken away. I'm writing this post/mini-guide for those who are struggling and want to climb faster.

The beautiful thing about Kombat League is that your fighting someone at the SAME if not lower/higher skill level hence another reason why the progression will take so long. And just for credibility:

So - Play bad on purpose, pick a low tier character and forfeit a set if I lose the first match? Ok, got it!

See you scrubs in Elder God.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
So - Play bad on purpose, pick a low tier character and forfeit a set if I lose the first match? Ok, got it!

See you scrubs in Elder God.
Play bad on purpose but still win. Not that hard to do. And "low tier" characters are great cause the current meta: Sonya, Geras, Scorp, and Erron. You'll have a higer chance running into player not knowing a matchup.

And yes I said forfeit ONLY if your going to lose 10 points. Dawg 10 points ant shit in this league ESPECIALLY in this meta.

Agilaz

It has begun
A tip for when you're in the higher ranks and you keep running into the same people:

Watch their replays every now and then. Especially the losses. See if you can find a pattern you can expose or what they tend to lose to. Yes, I know it's dirty. No, I don't care.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
A tip for when you're in the higher ranks and you keep running into the same people:

Watch their replays every now and then. Especially the losses. See if you can find a pattern you can expose or what they tend to lose to. Yes, I know it's dirty. No, I don't care.
That's not dirty. That's exactly what professional combat athletes do to prepare for matches (boxing, MMA, etc).

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
WOW @Agilaz that is probably the greatest input to climbing the ranks and your not wrong either. @Enexemander is right too. It might sound dirty but it's really not. Football, hockey, basketall a lot of sports do it. So do the pros in our community and also FGC pros in other communities have openly admit to scouting their opponent

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

wow that's...brilliant dude. It's not dirty man.

"Know thy enemy."

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Learn the Scorpion match up with your main. I’m between Master and Grand Master and I’m only average. I just know how to whip the urine ninja.