What's new

Tips on the Canary Gameplan for a Noob?

Hi Team! I'm a Bane noob looking to expand my horizons and also become a Canary noob! I'm new to I2 as well and hoping that my execution, understanding of gameplay mechanics, etc is good enough to become semi-decent with the Scream Queen.

I've gone through some awesome Canary guides and videos but was wondering if anyone has any bread and butter tips for Canary's game plan? She's obviously very different to Bane (who is great to play offensively behind the protection of venom armour and a new 7 frame jab) but every time I play online I feel a bit overwhelmed with options and don't really have a sense of how she should be played.

From what I gather she's a great rush down character with some great mix ups off her 21 and 23 and an OK footsies game. She's also got some great normals in the b12, 33 and d3 and big damage if you connect for combos.

So should I be primarily spamming her j2 like Batman to get in? Or trying to control space and poking to start a 112 combo or a 23/1 combo? Play defensively to try and get a trait combo? Any noob tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Team! I'm a Bane noob looking to expand my horizons and also become a Canary noob! I'm new to I2 as well and hoping that my execution, understanding of gameplay mechanics, etc is good enough to become semi-decent with the Scream Queen.

I've gone through some awesome Canary guides and videos but was wondering if anyone has any bread and butter tips for Canary's game plan? She's obviously very different to Bane (who is great to play offensively behind the protection of venom armour and a new 7 frame jab) but every time I play online I feel a bit overwhelmed with options and don't really have a sense of how she should be played.

From what I gather she's a great rush down character with some great mix ups off her 21 and 23 and an OK footsies game. She's also got some great normals in the b12, 33 and d3 and big damage if you connect for combos.

So should I be primarily spamming her j2 like Batman to get in? Or trying to control space and poking to start a 112 combo or a 23/1 combo? Play defensively to try and get a trait combo? Any noob tips would be greatly appreciated!
Game plan= get in and rush then the hell down!
Don't sit on your traits once your in, the unlock big damage. Use level 3 as a way in in certain mu
Her best neutral buttons are B1, B2 and F2 bit her nutral is her hardest part to master
Play patently to get in, once in become a nut
Use DF3 to get in

9_Lives

Noob
Yeah just get in and mix. Against certain characters you want to figure out good times to mb roll, always save a bar for mix. I look at it like ba players were prepatch like "sure I don't get more than 15% back, but subtracting another 45 makes it worth".

Someone put it better than I did in the canary guide thread, but your health is an expendable resource used to get in. Once in you usually will win with mix and her new plus pressure. If you can try to resist the urge to jump to get in, but her canary drop can make her harder to anti air when you do.

Last thing sorry, if you're having a hard time getting in, try holding on to trait until lvl 3. They'll fear jumping, backdash, and even throwing projectiles because of the possibility of full combo, and that respect will make your approach a lot less complicated. Hope that helps sorry for rant lol.

Thanks for the replies team! A lot of awesome advice already! So two questions then:

1. What's your best way to get in?

Aside from MB rolling, sounds like the best way is to use df3 (which is giving me mixed results), canary drop (including cancelling from a jump in/back) or using a j2? I read somewhere that you need to be super patient so that's probably the biggest thing I need to learn rather than rushing head-first into a zoner!

2. Once you're in, what are the best options for mixing or rushing?

So what do you guys do once you've managed to close the distance? 21/23 is a great mix but starts off a slow normal and her 11 string seems very short ranged. Do you keep poking with b1 or d3 and try to pressure them on oki? And what are her best mixes? Aside from 21/23, what do you guys use to really make life tough for a blocking opponent?

Thanks again for the tips guys - really appreciate it!

ryublaze

Noob
Use b12 and b2 to stop people from walking back. Then when they start blocking low you can go in with f2 or jump in/dash up 2u1/23. When you jump in you can mix up j2 with db2 because if they try to anti-air they will get hit by db2, and they will also have to guess between in front or behind db2. I wouldn't advise doing this too much because db2 can be punished. Random lvl2 and lvl3 trait in neutral is also good for how much range they have.

In general, you want to use lvl2 trait at the start of your combo so that it'll build back by the end of the combo and to keep your low starter safe. With lvl2 trait you can mix with 2 delayed u1 and 23. If they start backdashing after 2 then do a non-delayed 21 (this can be fuzzied but will hit people who backdash or who don't know the fuzzy). Whenever you get lvl3 don't always use it right away because most people will start blocking. Use that time to get in since they are afraid of getting hit by random lvl3.

If you don't have either lvl2 or lvl3 then play it safe with 33 pressure. After 33 you can check with d1 or throw if they respect the d1. You can also do df3 into low or MB overhead if you want to safely mix without trait. Depending on the situation, you can also just turtle and db3 away until you get lvl3.

For riskier options you can do 2u1/23 into bf2 (or 2u1 db2 in the corner since it will still combo). Throwing out instant air db2 or random string into db2 is another risky option but leads to big damage into standing reset if you have lvl3.

On knockdown you can either go for a j2 to avoid certain wakeups or dash up and mix with 2u1/23. Make sure to time 2u1/23 so that even if they delay wakeup they'll still get caught.

Use b12 and b2 to stop people from walking back. Then when they start blocking low you can go in with f2 or jump in/dash up 2u1/23. When you jump in you can mix up j2 with db2 because if they try to anti-air they will get hit by db2, and they will also have to guess between in front or behind db2. I wouldn't advise doing this too much because db2 can be punished. Random lvl2 and lvl3 trait in neutral is also good for how much range they have.

In general, you want to use lvl2 trait at the start of your combo so that it'll build back by the end of the combo and to keep your low starter safe. With lvl2 trait you can mix with 2 delayed u1 and 23. If they start backdashing after 2 then do a non-delayed 21 (this can be fuzzied but will hit people who backdash or who don't know the fuzzy). Whenever you get lvl3 don't always use it right away because most people will start blocking. Use that time to get in since they are afraid of getting hit by random lvl3.

If you don't have either lvl2 or lvl3 then play it safe with 33 pressure. After 33 you can check with d1 or throw if they respect the d1. You can also do df3 into low or MB overhead if you want to safely mix without trait. Depending on the situation, you can also just turtle and db3 away until you get lvl3.

For riskier options you can do 2u1/23 into bf2 (or 2u1 db2 in the corner since it will still combo). Throwing out instant air db2 or random string into db2 is another risky option but leads to big damage into standing reset if you have lvl3.

On knockdown you can either go for a j2 to avoid certain wakeups or dash up and mix with 2u1/23. Make sure to time 2u1/23 so that even if they delay wakeup they'll still get caught.
Hey Raptor! Thanks for the tips!! Do you have a YouTube channel as well? Love all of your I2 vids! The Canary combo one made me want to pick up the character

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
@MarBravo9 if I were you I'd also watch the set Sonic Fox played against Theo at Defend the North.

He has very good command of the neutral, and it'll be a good primer on how to get things going with BC.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Patience... I feel like developing patience is the key to this character. She will DELETE a health bar off a combo and a reset, which she gets pretty easily, so it's just a matter of playing patiently and waiting for your moment.

@MarBravo9 if I were you I'd also watch the set Sonic Fox played against Theo at Defend the North.

He has very good command of the neutral, and it'll be a good primer on how to get things going with BC.
Thanks CrimsonShadow! That was an insane set! I'm always scared of the Superman MU and it's weird to see a Canary dominate like that!

I've been having a bit more luck with Canary thanks to a lot of the tips on this thread but I think the one thing I need is to be perfect on all of the combo opportunities. I can never connect a b3 off a level 3 cry and hit a b3 less than half the time from a MB canary drop. Your opponents definitely learn not to fear the level 3 trait if the best you can do is dash in for a sweep :)

Any extra tips on hitting those b3's after a combo starter? The execution in I2 seems more precise than the other games I'm used to where you can mash an input during the combo starter to queue it up.

Thanks again team!

Off
Thanks CrimsonShadow! That was an insane set! I'm always scared of the Superman MU and it's weird to see a Canary dominate like that!

I've been having a bit more luck with Canary thanks to a lot of the tips on this thread but I think the one thing I need is to be perfect on all of the combo opportunities. I can never connect a b3 off a level 3 cry and hit a b3 less than half the time from a MB canary drop. Your opponents definitely learn not to fear the level 3 trait if the best you can do is dash in for a sweep :)

Any extra tips on hitting those b3's after a combo starter? The execution in I2 seems more precise than the other games I'm used to where you can mash an input during the combo starter to queue it up.

Thanks again team!
Off of the lvel 3 cry, just do df3. Leaves you in the perfect range for the b3 and builds some bar while you're at it.
For the canary drop, just practice. Cliche but practice makes perfect

Thanks @JackeySpratty! Still hitting it inconsistently but more often than I was before. Seems a lot easier if you hit them with the trait close to a corner from midscreen so you don't need to chase! I've also noticed in some of ranked vids that people seem to also hit the b3 off a double dash In (which I can never get!) so it's definitely practice that gets you there!

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Hey Raptor! Thanks for the tips!! Do you have a YouTube channel as well? Love all of your I2 vids! The Canary combo one made me want to pick up the character

Yes he does. He has gameplay of him using her on his channel. Id recommend watching his it's the closest to how she usually should be played in most situations.

iFrankenStein

Wakanda Forever!!
yo ra

Yo raptor this is super helpfull! I have beaten lots of my friends playing BC, I use a lot of your tech, yet Im finding really hard to beat one of them that play SG, is really hard for me to scape her pressure or just jump at her bc, he will do d2 wich has an incredible hitbox and I always get hitted on jumps in, or even 2u1 or 23 after ending my combos with 33 handspring, any tips (I saw one of your vids playing Theo and took some notes) another Question is her front·back handspring invincible frame on wake up?

So sorry for my crapy english bro, it is not my first lenguage

regards