What's new

Question - Jax tips on running combos pleeeeease

I can't do it!!, I want to learn Jax so bad but after a over head kick I don't run in time, is there a way?? I feel the overhead punch launches the opponent so far and can't reach, any tips or video explaining this?

I can't do it!!, I want to learn Jax so bad but after a over head kick I don't run in time, is there a way?? I feel the overhead punch launches the opponent so far and can't reach, any tips or video explaining this?
Have you watched the Ultimate Pumped Up Guide in the Jax forums? @karaokelove shows in the combo section how run cancels are harder after after certain chains.

First of all, watch the guide, secondly practice on a female character to learn which ones are too hard to consider practical.

Honestly, I would make this the last combo you learn after your basic mid screen and corner combos. Jax's whole game plan is to push the opponent in the corner and mix them up with 40+% 50/50s. You shouldn't be concerned with damage mid screen, but rather pushing your opponent in the corner.

If you want damage, basic strings into gotcha extreme in Pumped Up will do around 20% meterless. He loses some damage in the corner compared to Wrestler, but Wrestler does less mid screen and has an untechable throw.

Last edited:
I need help with this too. I usually do b12 or 12 into MB Downward Dash Punch. I really would like to know when I should be inputting the Run Cancel because I can't seem to get it out consistently. Should I do it as the MB DDP is coming out or do I have a small window to input it after it comes out? Any tips would be appreciated.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
If you use the 12 string piano in the run into f21 and you should find this a consistent timing.

Underground: Thank you so much for your reply. I will go home and try to work on that and hopefully I can come back with some of my own input that can help others out.

Undeadjim: I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Can you please go into further detail? Which combo are you talking about and can you type out the entire string so I know what it should look like? Thanks and sorry if I'm being a dunce. I really want to get better so that is why I'm asking so many questions.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
When doing Jax's run cancel combos the difficulty is changed from a string to string basis and the gender of your opponent. The easiest string to confirm the midscreen from is 12 (if you hit someone with this in training mode they stay right next to you) because you hit the MB overhead dash punch closer meaning you have less a distance to run.

As for the timing that will come from muscle memory however to get a basic idea start by inputing the run after you see the MB flash. Now by piano if you don't know is a technique of hitting multiple buttons in a quick succession one after another so you would input :r:r:blkF:bp:fp all in one clean sequence like you're doing a combo string.

Let me know if you have any other questions man I don't mind answering.

Last edited:

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Pfft why would he take advice from you? You don't even main Jax, you main BoneSheeper
Did you like the part when I switched to Jax and proceeded to get bodied in a MU so ass I came out the other end covered in shit :16Bit

Nah for real though I enjoy playing a bunch but against the characters the top guys in the UK play no thank you very nice to meet you Mr BS:joker:

When doing Jax's run cancel combos the difficulty is changed from a string to string basis and the gender of your opponent. The easiest string to confirm the midscreen from is 12 (if you hit someone with this in training mode they stay right next to you) because you hit the MB overhead dash punch closer meaning you have less a distance to run.

As for the timing that will come from muscle memory however to get a basic idea start by inputing the run after you see the MB flash. Now by piano if you don't know is a technique of hitting multiple buttons in a quick succession one after another so you would input :r:r:blk:bp:fp all in one clean sequence like you're doing a combo string.

Let me know if you have any other questions man I don't mind answering.
Hey thanks so much for that. I didn't realize timing would be different depending on which starter you use. I have been messing with the b12 starter but I'm gonna try the 12 starter. Thanks for the tip and the piano thing. Now I'm kind of glad I insisted on learning A-List first and getting his run cancel down. It's gonna help me a lot with Jax's run cancel.

say wurt?
I don't mean Meter Burn gotcha grab. Pumped Up's gotcha is different and has a different name. I think it's enhanced gotcha, but it might be something else.

Edit: Now I think about it, it might be Gotcha Extreme. I'll update my original post.

Last edited:
Also, you can simplify the run input by hitting f,f+R2/RT instead of f,f,R2/RT. The tutorial lies to you on a number of issues.
Thanks for that tip. I have been using that but I'm still not getting this Jax run cancel thing. I know it's me and I know I'll get better with practice. I know if I can get Johnny Cage's run cancels down I will eventually get this one down too. I just gotta keep trying and practicing.

Thanks to all that have been trying to help me. Thank God for you guys otherwise I would have given up a long time ago and this game would just sit there and collect dust.

ATIWAB

Noob
I have a hard time getting a hang of this too, lots of hours wasted in practice and still never get the shit right. Luckily Jax has a ton of other tools and RC is ideal but not required for good damage.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
I have a hard time getting a hang of this too, lots of hours wasted in practice and still never get the shit right. Luckily Jax has a ton of other tools and RC is ideal but not required for good damage.
RC is ideal but not required for good damage.
I agree with that but you are missing out on a lot of potential meter build and mixups

Arzumis

Noob
With the new hotfix/ update it shouldn't be that hard honestly. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.

ATIWAB

Noob
With the new hotfix/ update it shouldn't be that hard honestly. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.
I can get it maybe 1 out of 6 tries on the 12 opener and pretty much never on anything else. I'm not really a Run Cancel kinda player, I main SR Takeda.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Don't blame your self,it is one of the toughest combo to connect in the game,just keep trying!

I'm just about to pick up Jax. I main Kitana but want a rush down pocket pick. I was in the jab just a short while. Do youi need the meter burn downward dash punch to run cancel mid screen or canit be normal? I haven't tried the ex version but I can't get it off a regular one. I watched Tryant at Yomi last night and I noticed he used the ex one every time which made me think it may have to be the ex one.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Watch Hitbox Tyrant's Jax on YouTube.

Then, practice, practice, practice...

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
There would be not many tricks this would be something that just takes time by there are things that speed up the process.

Rather than do it as fast as you can try delay as much as you can train your brain to be comfortable with running after a cancel and pressing a button soon after and work your way closer in time hitting them as you progress.

2nd tip would instead of doing 123 Rc 11, try a much harder one that is really hard like 3 instead of 1, so when you go back to 1 your brain will tricked into feeling it was easier than it actually was