What's new

Question - Brawler tips on how to prevent zoning

sars

Noob
Hello every body, I am new to the game and this community but you guys have helped me out more then you know. Everytime I'm online and I start doing good people start spamming and zoning me and I can't get away. I havnt played fighting games much so I know I'm not that great. I spent way to much time in practice the past couple of days, I know a couple combos I can hit 25 percent of the time online but I can't helped but get destroyed the minute someone starts zoning me. I try to jump over and I get AA so I'm really just stuck. I want to get good and I don't expect to over night but I just want to see what you guys do once someone starts zoning you. I am using the brawler variation by the way.

Thanks

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Cassie cage brawler
I don't play Cassie so I can't give you very specific info. But the worst thing you can do while being zoned is become impatient. You have to take your time and get whatever small punishes in that you can. I know Cassie has a pretty fast projectile, use that to slow them down and get some damage in during openings. Also keep in mind that you can duck under most projectiles without taking any kind of damage as long as you don't block. Also I think Cassie has armor on her EX Cage kick thing. I could be wrong though. But you could use that to blow through a fireball and hit them and bring yourself in close. Cassie has one of the harder times against zoners because she has nothing to close the gap safely with, whereas most fighters have a TP or some kind of move that lets them fly over a projectile like a dive kick or Sonya's Arc Kick. I don't think Cassie has anything like that, other than the Cage kick, which if it has armor on the EX version than that's your best bet. If it doesn't, then you just need to be patient and back them into the corner and shoot your gun whenever there's an opening.

sars

Noob
I don't play Cassie so I can't give you very specific info. But the worst thing you can do while being zoned is become impatient. You have to take your time and get whatever small punishes in that you can. I know Cassie has a pretty fast projectile, use that to slow them down and get some damage in during openings. Also keep in mind that you can duck under most projectiles without taking any kind of damage as long as you don't block. Also I think Cassie has armor on her EX Cage kick thing. I could be wrong though. But you could use that to blow through a fireball and hit them and bring yourself in close. Cassie has one of the harder times against zoners because she has nothing to close the gap safely with, whereas most fighters have a TP or some kind of move that lets them fly over a projectile like a dive kick or Sonya's Arc Kick. I don't think Cassie has anything like that, other than the Cage kick, which if it has armor on the EX version than that's your best bet. If it doesn't, then you just need to be patient and back them into the corner and shoot your gun whenever there's an opening.
Thanks I always blocked when I was ducking, I didn't know it was making me get hit. I didn't even think to EX the kick. Thanks for the help.

VOR

Noob
Most common thread on tym. Learn how to move properly, play footsies, when to run, walk, dash properly, be patient, and wreck fools when you get in.

Try a back 1 to move forward more easily whithout having to dash (this move is pretty quick and covers a nice distance), but don't forget to block one last time once you get too close to a cornered zoner. Because that's when they'll get desperate and lauch the meters they've build up. Once they're are done, punish them hard with cassie's mix-ups and don't make them second guess the fact that they were right to try to zone the fuck out of you.

sars

Noob
Thanks guys I have got a lot better at preventing zoning. I still drop a bunch of combos but that will come with time. I am no longer getting stuck by projectiles atleast.

Rorshock

Noob
You might want to try using Spec Ops against certain zoners (like Grandmaster Sub or Kitana). Once you call a missile down it's coming down and nothing can stop it, which forces the zoner to block. This gives you an opportunity to run in.

b1 is Cassie's main advancing normal and is super useful for getting in once you get to about midscreen or so. b124 is a relatively safe string that will force the zoner to block as well.

Once you're in, Spec Ops's missiles allow you to stay in because of the stellar oki game they provide.

I don't personally play brawler so I don't have brawler specific tips, but I'd say inch your way under projectiles by ducking, and then try to go for b124 to advance to your opponent once they're in range.