What's new

Tips on best custom moves for Johnny?

I've only spent an hour or two labbing it out with Johnny in practice mode, and it seems my gameplan with him revolves almost exclusively around his default moves. Some quick thoughts about them, though ...

Pissed off seems kind of useful as a combo ender as it adds nice damage, but at the same time, you lose the restand from nutpunch. The modified projectiles seem way inferior to the standard one, but if you can add them on top of it (did not test this yet) I suppose they could prove situationally ... usable. Not sure about the modified anti-air, but it's nice that it can be enhanced to make it safe. Not sure if there's any point to do it outside of combos, though, in which case ex forceball makes you not only safe but even plus, but I could see some potential uses. Throw shades unfortunately seems like a strict joke or taunt-type of move which is rather unsurprising given that Cage has turned into something akin to Mortal Kombat's Dan. And say cheese ... it honestly seems like a downgrade from nutpunch, even though it has longer reach, and costs two slots.

The two stunt double moves are interesting and I would like to find a way to utilize them efficiently, but they both seem to be held back from being viable in different ways. Clothesline is extremely slow on startup, and to follow up after it you need to be really close to the opponent. So close that they will hit you out of the animation, resulting in an unfavorable trade at best. Stunt double has slightly less recovery but can easily be avoided with advancing strings or perhaps even walking forward. I'm thinking your best bet for clothesline is after a knockdown or perhaps at the end of a combo when you have huge plus frames, but at most Johnny gets like 30 + frames whereas the startup on this one is around 60 (can't remember exactly). Stunt double's ex version looks interesting, though, due to its stun property.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Of all his custom moves, Say Cheese feels like it'd offer the most practical change if buffed properly. Unbreakable damage is no joke in this game, and with the KB attached to it, he'd get access to some NASTY damage that you'd just have to hold.

I don't know what changes can be made to Stunt Double to make it more viable. Faster start up, I suppose, but it still feels gimmicky at best. His other moves all don't feel as significant in terms of changing him fundamentally. Pissed Off is nice for damage, and when combined with Rising Star, allows for some nasty corner combos, and his forceballs are useless, but beyond that, it'd be the same the Johnny that we have in Shock Jock, but with less utility.

I think our tourney variations give us access nearly all of his best moves right now, and if Showstopper receives proper buffs, maybe replace Shades with Pissed Off, he'd feel much more complete than he does now.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Pissed off is the successor of fisticuffs' speedbag at least visually, would have been nice to have it in a variation. However, if they add a third one, I think the stunt double move has more chances.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
The high fireball is really bad, but it doesn't replace the regular one, so it has some uses. It can make people who jump a lot be a bit more weary and remain grounded more often, but the risk/reward is not great. It is pretty good to mix with your regular fireball when you are fullscreen, as at that range it will hit neutral ducking opponents. The bad thing is that if the opponent is two steps closer than that, then it won't. If it had a lower arch, or if the low arched fireball didn't replace the regular, they could maybe be good in some match ups, but right now I don't think they add too much.

The Shadow Uppercut gives you some flashy corner combos, bit that is pretty much it. No competent player will get hit by the ex, and your strings are already safe, so there is not much reason to do it. Well, actually sometimes it will side switch on block. If there is a way to do it consistently it could actually be really good.