What's new

Question Tips/Hints/Easyish Combos for a first timer

RossSaiohken

Edward of the Storm Lands.
Hey guys.

I'll be entering my first ever tournament this weekend (tomorrow infact) and I am shitting myself. The tournament is fairly small, its only 16 players, double elimination but I feel that if I can win this, it will boost my 'rep' purely because I'll be a first timer who wins a tournament.

The problem is: I'm not particularly good.

Don't get me wrong, I've won my fair share of matches both online and off but I can never seem to beat those who know a couple of decent strings, mainly because I don't know any.

From the characters I've played (which is nearly all of them), I've found that Black Adam is the one I'm best with. And lets face it, who doesn't love his swagtastic stance and epic dive kick.

So, what I'm basically asking is: are there any hints/tips/easyish combos I can be taught in order to improve my game?

Also, as a final question: how the hell do I beat Superman with BA? All that happens is he jumps, uses lasers and I just die.

Thanks in advance!

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
When Superman jumps you can jump too and do a late Dive Kick to close the distance. One thing I like doing is canceling blocked combos into his Trait to gain frame advantage. For example:

1, 1, 3 xx Trait xx Throw (I think that's guaranteed).

Also, against zoners such as Death Stroke, Sinestro, Green Arrow, etc., Dive Kick is priceless for closing the distance and initiating your own offense. Black Magic into Lighting Strike is also a very useful tool in BA's arsenal. And finally, another one of my staple BA tactics is D1 xx Lightning Hands. That almost always works and it's plus frames on block (I believe), and there is a very easy way to do it:

d1, f

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Your trait comes out more often than you think, don't be afraid to use it in your block strings and your set ups.

Try to get into the habit of doing hit confirmable things like 22B1, you can either go into lightning zap thing, and make it a safe blockstring, or on hit, you can dash forward, 11, black magic, B23U and an ender of your choice.

Try to use your pokes for maximum effect, by this I mean, D1 into lightning zap thing. Its safe and on reaction, you can make it full screen 19%. Against someone like batman who has holes in his strings, its pretty useful. I like to do it like this: D1,F1 in quick succession, comes out nicely.

Poke your opponent with D3s every now and then, black adam, if you know the matchup is all about overhead starters with his B2, so most people block high. So, give them the odd nudge.

Don't be afraid to meterburn your far bootstomp if you make an opponents projectile wiff. Like, when I face aquaman, I sometimes see him try to get me with his from the deep, if I'm in the air when this happens, far boot stomp MB, and go into dash straight away, 11, black magi, B23U ender of your choice.

Trait into throw i s a good way to get damage.

Wake up lightning cage is pretty great, its fully invincible, so if someone is giving you pressure in the corner and on your wake up game, its an option, and meterburning it can lead to some huge damage. MB lightning cage, B3, J2 (Or J3 for 2% more but tougher timing), B23U ender of your choice is a way of doing it. Alternatively, if the B3 is too hard, you can do MB lightning cage, 11, black magic, B23U ender of your choice.

Dont rely on it TOO much, it can be baited and punished.

Don't be afraid to check your opponent with meterburning lightning, that shit does lots of chip and hits multiple times, if your opponent relies on armor like a bane or a doomsday with trait, it will slow them down.

Doing a forward throw makes Black Adam taunt your opponent with cool lines like "I will crush you!", making them more salty, and probably more mistakes.

RossSaiohken

Edward of the Storm Lands.
When Superman jumps you can jump too and do a late Dive Kick to close the distance. One thing I like doing is canceling blocked combos into his Trait to gain frame advantage. For example:

1, 1, 3 xx Trait xx Throw (I think that's guaranteed).

Also, against zoners such as Death Stroke, Sinestro, Green Arrow, etc., Dive Kick is priceless for closing the distance and initiating your own offense. Black Magic into Lighting Strike is also a very useful tool in BA's arsenal. And finally, another one of my staple BA tactics is D1 xx Lightning Hands. That almost always works and it's plus frames on block (I believe), and there is a very easy way to do it:

d1, f
Cheers for the tips. I use the Dive Kick to close distance against anyone really and can then do some damage when I'm close. I just always struggle to take what I've learnt in practice mode into the real world. I can never seem to keep a combo going.

Your trait comes out more often than you think, don't be afraid to use it in your block strings and your set ups.

Try to get into the habit of doing hit confirmable things like 22B1, you can either go into lightning zap thing, and make it a safe blockstring, or on hit, you can dash forward, 11, black magic, B23U and an ender of your choice.

Try to use your pokes for maximum effect, by this I mean, D1 into lightning zap thing. Its safe and on reaction, you can make it full screen 19%. Against someone like batman who has holes in his strings, its pretty useful. I like to do it like this: D1,F1 in quick succession, comes out nicely.

Poke your opponent with D3s every now and then, black adam, if you know the matchup is all about overhead starters with his B2, so most people block high. So, give them the odd nudge.

Don't be afraid to meterburn your far bootstomp if you make an opponents projectile wiff. Like, when I face aquaman, I sometimes see him try to get me with his from the deep, if I'm in the air when this happens, far boot stomp MB, and go into dash straight away, 11, black magi, B23U ender of your choice.

Trait into throw i s a good way to get damage.

Wake up lightning cage is pretty great, its fully invincible, so if someone is giving you pressure in the corner and on your wake up game, its an option, and meterburning it can lead to some huge damage. MB lightning cage, B3, J2 (Or J3 for 2% more but tougher timing), B23U ender of your choice is a way of doing it. Alternatively, if the B3 is too hard, you can do MB lightning cage, 11, black magic, B23U ender of your choice.

Dont rely on it TOO much, it can be baited and punished.

Don't be afraid to check your opponent with meterburning lightning, that shit does lots of chip and hits multiple times, if your opponent relies on armor like a bane or a doomsday with trait, it will slow them down.

Doing a forward throw makes Black Adam taunt your opponent with cool lines like "I will crush you!", making them more salty, and probably more mistakes.
Thanks for all this too. What I started doing was MB far boot stomp and then following up with MB lighting strike (the one that hits their feet, can't remember its proper name) which nets me over 20% damage. But then leaves me away from them. I'll try to follow my MB boot stomp with more useful and damaging stuff.

I started using my trait a hell of a lot more as well once I realised they were unblockable. They have often won some matches simply because both me and my opponent have been low health and I've cheaply walked into them with trait activated.

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Walking into them with trait active isn't cheap (other than the free damage HaHa), it's part o9' the game lad!

If any of the mid-high level players has a mic and XBL, please hit me up. I need work on my BA (and overall game).
Tanks!