What's new

Tips and strategy vs Kung Lao

Puchi

Noob
Hi I have really problems to play against a good Kung Lao. need to know some tips or strategies to fight kungs
my characters are:
- Lord Raiden
- Kung Lao
- Sektor

Ofensive or defensive? tips, etc thankss

Hi I have really problems to play against a good Kung Lao. need to know some tips or strategies to fight kungs
my characters are:
- Lord Raiden
- Kung Lao
- Sektor

Ofensive or defensive? tips, etc thankss
Play like the people that win against your lao?

Edit: A good lao's bad matchups is a noob lao imo. his spin is very good against his own pressure

Puchi

Noob
oookkkk... ._.
and whit raiden and sektor?... some strategy and tips please...refrain obvious answers please

Theme

Noob
Uppercut teleport. I cannot stress enough the importance of this. I main Lao as well and my friend always uppercut with any character. Bait spin and punish with BnB's. Best info I can give,because the spin gives a false sense of security, but is highly punishable. Walk up to him and block the spin wakeup (watch out for EX), and then punish accordingly. 40%+ will make him hesitate when it comes to spins.

Lulzlou

Noob
With Raiden
Distance helps. Force him to use projectiles and teleports. You have to read him really well to do this. Accept that you are much slower than he is.

Low hat or hat toss - Teleport behind him and either try to punish or create space

KL Teleport - On reaction this is hard tough. If YOU force him to teleport, stay crouched and either D1~shocker/VB, naked superman or uppercut.
D1 combo
d1~VB, dash f2 shocker, b31~superman - 27%
d1~shocker, b312~superman - 25%
Teleporting right before the kick comes out helps. You have to time it so the kick doesn't come out on the side you teleport.

Dive kicks - If you have the right spacing you can superman on reaction. Don't do it all the time though, you want your opponent to guess what you are going to do. If you read it, try to dash forward and block if he is just trying to whiff it. Your teleport helps a lot too.

Understanding Raiden's teleport
This is where a lot of Raiden players go wrong. When I first started playing competitively late decemeber, this was my problem. In a short time my level of play has jump A LOT since then. Not bragging in anyway, the NoVA players tell me this.

Random teleports should only be used if your opponent does not know the match up.
What you want to do with your teleports
Time your teleports against his moves. This is a huge problem with a lot of Raiden players. If you end up making him respect your teleports and he starts to play more defensively, that should mean you have the life lead. Keep your distance and you should be good.

A good way to practice this is going in practice and pick characters with advancing specials. Put them to do wake up attacks then knocked them down. Using sweeps give you less time to react but its probably the best way. NJP then dash back, should give you enough space to react if the sweep distance is too hard.

There is no comeback factor at all, you need to be confident and control the match.
This is from my experiences, sorry if it might be a bit off.

Edit: For got to add this
If he is respecting your teleport and waiting for you to make a mistake, a well placed D4 could help. D4 is 15 frames so thats why I said well placed. On block its 0.
On hit its +15. If you d4~tele and the d4 connects, you pretty much get a free grab. You could pressure after this but since KL is a lot faster, a grab would be better.

This is where a lot of players will disagree with me about. They think its useless. I haven't posted much there. When I was trying to learn, I got ignored so I'm not going to waste my time.

Puchi

Noob
wooou...thanks for the tips Lulzlou, Raiden is my main, i try to put on practice vs good Kungs....thanks a lot ;)
the teleport+3 is my nightmare when is fast

Lulzlou

Noob
No problem dude

telekick is definitely a pain. That is why I say teleport instead of blocking or trying to punish on reaction. Making the 3 whiff is a lot better than anything imo. It gives you more options.

Another note, if you find yourself close to KL and he is just blocking waiting for you to make a mistake, do 22b4. After the b4 hits, superman right over him. It gives puts you a good distance away from him.

I know SwiftTomHanks feels like the Sektor/Kung Lao matchup is in Sektor's favor.

My experiences with them has been that if you stay on the ground and you force them to chase you, they're in a bad way since Sektor does a good job countering his mobility. You can punish a regular teleport on reaction with an uppercut 100% of the time and it can be baited with missile.s If they try to roll or dive kick in they're walking right into some fire.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Haha, yea I do feel that Sektor has the tools to abuse Kung Lao.

One of the biggest things you need to take advantage of is punishing Kung Lao's low hat. From full screen if he throws one you can teleport uppercut on reaction. It's up to you if you want to iTU or normal TU. Do an iTU if you trust your execution over timing, do a normal TU if you trust your timing over your execution. Up close if he ends in low hat you can punish him with a 12b1 or a 21. To be sure you punish him I would recommend taking a 3% less combo and just start with 12b1.

Since Kung Lao doesn't have a safe wake up I would recommend ending every combo in an up missile trap and instead of jumping in on the opponent dash in and bait a spin. If you don't see it come out right away, most of the time you're free to pressure him with b21 or b34.

Train yourself to uppercut him every time you see a non EX teleport. You can get more with a d1, however it's all about the 100% consistency of Sektor's uppercut.If you see that he EX'es it, dash forward asap and if Kung Lao goes for any attack it won't auto correct and you can punish him for whiffing.

Kung Lao can also not punish flamethrower from any range that isn't extremely close, so don't be too worried to throw out flamethrowers more often than other characters.

You can also outzone Kung Lao with a mix of strait missiles and flamethrowers (to catch dive kicks). This will make most Kung Lao players way more teleport happy; granting a ton of free uppercuts.

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you want me to better articulate this information.

With Raiden
Distance helps. Force him to use projectiles and teleports. You have to read him really well to do this. Accept that you are much slower than he is.

Low hat or hat toss - Teleport behind him and either try to punish or create space

KL Teleport - On reaction this is hard tough. If YOU force him to teleport, stay crouched and either D1~shocker/VB, naked superman or uppercut.
D1 combo
d1~VB, dash f2 shocker, b31~superman - 27%
d1~shocker, b312~superman - 25%
Teleporting right before the kick comes out helps. You have to time it so the kick doesn't come out on the side you teleport.

Dive kicks - If you have the right spacing you can superman on reaction. Don't do it all the time though, you want your opponent to guess what you are going to do. If you read it, try to dash forward and block if he is just trying to whiff it. Your teleport helps a lot too.

Understanding Raiden's teleport
This is where a lot of Raiden players go wrong. When I first started playing competitively late decemeber, this was my problem. In a short time my level of play has jump A LOT since then. Not bragging in anyway, the NoVA players tell me this.

Random teleports should only be used if your opponent does not know the match up.
What you want to do with your teleports
Time your teleports against his moves. This is a huge problem with a lot of Raiden players. If you end up making him respect your teleports and he starts to play more defensively, that should mean you have the life lead. Keep your distance and you should be good.

A good way to practice this is going in practice and pick characters with advancing specials. Put them to do wake up attacks then knocked them down. Using sweeps give you less time to react but its probably the best way. NJP then dash back, should give you enough space to react if the sweep distance is too hard.

There is no comeback factor at all, you need to be confident and control the match.
This is from my experiences, sorry if it might be a bit off.

Edit: For got to add this
If he is respecting your teleport and waiting for you to make a mistake, a well placed D4 could help. D4 is 15 frames so thats why I said well placed. On block its 0.
On hit its +15. If you d4~tele and the d4 connects, you pretty much get a free grab. You could pressure after this but since KL is a lot faster, a grab would be better.

This is where a lot of players will disagree with me about. They think its useless. I haven't posted much there. When I was trying to learn, I got ignored so I'm not going to waste my time.
superman dive kicks on reaction... I would like to see you do that as dive kick is six frame if you dont count the jump frames which is 3 frames I think. Dive kick is a move you NEED to block to punish if it whiffs he doesnt need any time to recover after he lands.

you dont need to know the matchup to be able to fuck people up if they use random teleports...

cool SwiftTomHanks, nice tips for sektor. i gonna put all in practice. thanks
I reccomend kung lao mirrors and sektor , he might be a bad matchup for kung lao. Raiden vs kung lao is 5-5 according some people but I think its slightly in kung lao's favor because he can pretty much play his main game for the most part against raiden and the matchup turns really bad once kung lao has access to x ray.

Lulzlou

Noob
superman dive kicks on reaction... I would like to see you do that as dive kick is six frame if you dont count the jump frames which is 3 frames I think. Dive kick is a move you NEED to block to punish if it whiffs he doesnt need any time to recover after he lands.

you dont need to know the matchup to be able to fuck people up if they use random teleports...
Sorry I suck at explaining things. What I meant by all that is for the average KL player. In higher level matches, you obviously would adapt to it differently.

The dive kick,
That is only if you are controlling the match. I'm not talking about doing supermans on the instant air dive kicks. The superman option is only if you are a good distance away. A higher level KL should be approached differently.

The random teleports
I meant random teleports as in being clueless on what to do next. Basically teleporting for no damn reason.
A well placed teleport is better than a random one. If you only rely on random teleports, you'll start to get punished easily. You should always know what your next move is, that is why I said not to do random ones.
Which Raiden would win? A brainless teleporter vs kl or a raiden that knows his options with teleports against the match up vs KL. You can't go in a tournament expecting to win by random teleporting every single time. I wouldn't call PL a random teleporter. If you noticed, he knew what he was doing every single time.