What's new

Match-up Discussion Tips against Cyrax

Tito

Noob
I'm knew on this game(bought on Steam), I'm starting to get the strategia against some chars, but one which I don't see any exit is Cyrax(except punishing the Teleport). But I would like to attack him, just don't know how to do it.

I've searched on this forum but didn't find any against-Cyrax thread.

If any one can give me some tips I would be appreciate, altough I think the best answer will be "change characeter" :p

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Zone him out. Upknee when he jumps. Punish the teleport. Do not use noobs teleport on him. Save meter for breakers. Get the life lead and turtle.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I recommend studying the frame data of both characters if you haven't already. The way I play it is I never go on the offensive unless I make a read he's going to do a bomb/net, jump the bomb and combo his ass while sending him full-screen once again. You also have to be on POINT when punishing all of his net or bomb attempts with your teleslam. What you do after the teleslam is all on you. I tend to back up and block low incase he does his rag doll shit or his fairy leap, if he does his fairy leap I aa him with a 2, 12, 12~teleslam/tackle/slide. I punish teleports with 212~slide.
If you really want to go on the offensive you just have to play solid footsies and get a good read on when he likes to throw out nets. You also want to manage your meter so you can break his stupid ass resets.

Wemfs

just curious as to what people mean when they say meaty....
I think it means the move has special properties that allow it to avoid or take damage like an armor move kinda. I'm not exactly sure either.

just curious as to what people mean when they say meaty....
I think it means the move has special properties that allow it to avoid or take damage like an armor move kinda. I'm not exactly sure either.
One definition of a "meaty attack" is using a move (typically with long active frames) on an opponent that is getting up.
If the meaty attack hits them / is blocked as they are getting up, the move should be more positive / safer than normal, for it hits the opponent later during the active frames, rather than the beginning of them. (The block/hit stun on the opponent should still be the same)

Of course, you should always be wary of wakeup attacks that can stuff your attempt at a meaty.

Wemfs

A "meaty attack" is using a move with long active frames on an opponent that is getting up.
If the meaty attack hits them / is blocked as they are getting up, the move should be more positive / safer than normal, for it hits the opponent later during the active frames, rather than the beginning of them. (The block/hit stun on the opponent should still be the same)

Of course, you should always be wary of wakeup attacks that can stuff your attempt at a meaty.

Ah I get it now. One time against a Sonya player I did a F33~Ex Portal as she woke up with an EX Cartwheel and it didn't even hit me. My character continued on like she didn't wake up with anything at all. It was really weird. I don't think Noob's F33 has meaty properties though, but idk.

Ah I get it now. One time against a Sonya player I did a F33~Ex Portal as she woke up with an EX Cartwheel and it didn't even hit me. My character continued on like she didn't wake up with anything at all. It was really weird. I don't think Noob's F33 has meaty properties though, but idk.
Probably some floaty/aerial hitbox properties.
Reptile's EX Elbow Dash goes through Jax's Elbow Smash, for Reppy's Dash doesn't hit aerial opponents. That could be a similar situation.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
so wait, how does it make it safer if the block stun doesnt change any? wouldn't it have to for it to be safer? less negative on block and all that, since isn't that dependant on how fast they recover? i'm still confused, gimme an example of a meaty. would something that stuffs wakeups be concidered a meaty attack?

Wemfs

Probably some floaty/aerial hitbox properties.
Reptile's EX Elbow Dash goes through Jax's Elbow Smash, for Reppy's Dash doesn't hit aerial opponents. That could be a similar situation.
Hmmmmmm... interesting. Thanks a lot for clearing this up, Alien.

so wait, how does it make it safer if the block stun doesnt change any? wouldn't it have to for it to be safer? less negative on block and all that, since isn't that dependant on how fast they recover? i'm still confused, gimme an example of a meaty. would something that stuffs wakeups be concidered a meaty attack?
Let's try an example on Noob's F+4, hypothetically-speaking:
Thirty duration frames in total. On frame ten, active frames start. (Ten startup frames)
20 frames of hit stun on the opponent.
This makes F4 neutral on hit.

Noob does a meaty F4 and it hits the opponent on duration frame fifteen as the opponent gets up without blocking.
There are still 20 frames of hit stun on F4, but since Noob connected F4 on active frame fifteen, F4 is +5 on hit.

Hmmmmmm... interesting. Thanks a lot for clearing this up, Alien.
No problem!
can u label some meaty's in mk9?
Technically, most attacks can be meaty attacks. Problems that make plenty of attacks unusuable as meaties are the hitboxes and active frames, compared to the opponent's possible wakeup attack range and mobility.
(Cyrax's EX Donkey Kick can nullify most, if not all, attempts at a meaty from Noob)

I don't really know of any decent meaty attacks in MK9, aside from the D4s of plenty of characters. Usefulness of meaty attacks are likely dependent on match-ups.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
can u label some meaty's in mk9?
Don't take what I am about to say as fact, because I am not sure what a meatie is exactly either.
I believe one of the most used meaties in MK9 is kabals F4. It has a lot of range and active frames, so depending on the range you use it from its advantage can change. Same with a Jump Kick, if you hit it really low you are at a lot of advantage.

Axel_Redd

wouldn't kung lao's f3 be a meaty attack? since it has a large amount of active frames and can blow up certain wake ups? so exactly how much advantage can u get off of f3 if say u catch the opponent towards the end of its active frames?

wouldn't kung lao's f3 be a meaty attack? since it has a large amount of active frames and can blow up certain wake ups? so exactly how much advantage can u get off of f3 if say u catch the opponent towards the end of its active frames?
You'd have to know how many active frames it has.
Greatly positive on hit, I presume.

Axel_Redd

If it is positive on hit, it would have greater advantage as a meaty.

Anyway....Tito, you must always keep at least two bars of meter to use a breaker against Cyrax.
alright then, attacks with shorter durations are harder to use as meaty's right?