What's new

Breakthrough Time to step up your game. Self shielding

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
So this started out as me fooling around with the ship on Fortress of Solitude to figuring out different ways to self shielding mid combo while continuing the combo, yes, there are way to do it and end with lvl 3 in their face miles before their WU

0 bars
Difficulty: High. Chance to do in match: Low.
standing next to opponent, probe u3xxtrait dash u3xxprobe/CC/vacuum/mine
as far as I know this is the only 0 bar and has to be u3 (6f) to be fast enough

1 bar
Difficulty: Medium. Chance to do in match: Mid to Low
After a set up i.e b13xxMBdb2 b3 ji2 b2 use MB probe,
*b2* MBprobe immediate b2xxtrait dash 112CC/d1vacuum/u3CC (whatever)
*b2* MBprobe delay slightly b1xxtrait dash 112CC/d1vacuum/ (whatever!!)

2 bar
Difficulty Medium. Chance to do in match: Mid to Low
Again after one of those setups do d1 or 1 xxMB db2 into whatever your heart desires while remaining shielded (what uuuup)
*b2* MB probe b1xxtrait dash d1xxMBvacuum b3 ji2 b2 BGB dd3b (always shielded on BGB setup!)
*b2* MB probe b2xxtrait dash 1xxMBvacuum b3 ji2 b2xxdd3 all the setups still work

Problems:
different opponents different wake ups
tech rolling
dropping the combo

This is huge tech and a big fuck you to the opponent if you pull it off, while not easy, worth it.

Anyways that's what I got with it but I'm sure you guys can do more
Galactic Geek
LtLuthor
@fromundamon
ShadowBeatz
uhfutzafooken
Thead
imblackjames
GGA pimpimjim
rev0lver

RYX

BIG PUSHER
this is actually a really interesting concept. shame it's so difficult to pull off but if more consistent and reliable methods are found, this might turn out to be incredibly useful

good stuff

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Dude, I love this. I'm always one to put myself at risk for the sake of swagger, and you'd be surprised how often b2 connects after a knockdown, especially a b2 knockdown.

Good luck on landing that first one though XD.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Dude, I love this. I'm always one to put myself at risk for the sake of swagger, and you'd be surprised how often b2 connects after a knockdown, especially a b2 knockdown.

Good luck on landing that first one though XD.
Yea I know pulling off a weird combo is such a good feeling, what I like about this though is if they block it, fuck it you have shielded up with the cover of 2 probes

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
aahah oh damn! This is full of style :D

Going to try this at home!

when you have *b2* is it the ender used after a said combo, correct? I mean ... j2 b2 MB Probe.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Even though its impractical as feck (not really anymore since I went ahead and did the mine reduex....)

And theres a few routes you can take out of this one too.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Oh Doomy! Dat be sexeh!

Traiting up while continuing a combo is really great to get the next setup.

Loving this character <3

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Oh yeah no doubt. I'm going to try to figure something similar for the reduex version, but a combo you could do out of that would be like...
113xxtrait b.3 j.3 11xxex vacuum b.2 u.3 into b.13 set-up for the fast stand.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
aahah oh damn! This is full of style :D

Going to try this at home!

when you have *b2* is it the ender used after a said combo, correct? I mean ... j2 b2 MB Probe.
yea it means after that combo,
Even though its impractical as feck (not really anymore since I went ahead and did the mine reduex....)

And theres a few routes you can take out of this one too.
Yes this is exactly what I wanted getting in peoples heads to come up with their own, nice work Doom!
I'm gunna keep trying, see what other combos can be traited into

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Awesome! Sadly only just now seeing this, but good stuff. I was looking for more safe ways to set up actually.

I'll mess with this and post some of the ones I have (Mostly with mine and/or interactibles) later this week.

1 bar
Difficulty: Medium. Chance to do in match: Mid to Low
After a set up i.e b13xxMBdb2 b3 ji2 b2 use MB probe,
*b2* MBprobe immediate b2xxtrait dash 112CC/d1vacuum/u3CC (whatever)
*b2* MBprobe delay slightly b1xxtrait dash 112CC/d1vacuum/ (whatever!!)

This is so dirty in the corner....

Chances to do this are pretty high if you put out the MB probes after a corner combo. Such as:

f2, 11, 11, u3 xx MB Probes

Once MB Probes are out, the opponent must block another 50/50. Mb Probes are +124 on hit, so any attempt to mash out will give Lex a full combo, even if the opponent puts Lex is 30 frames of hitstun (so long as Lex is not knocked-down).

So after (f2, 11, 11, u3 xx MB Probes)

Lex player can do:

low starter- b1 xx Trait dash, (MB probes hit) 11, u3 xx Lex Probe
overhead starter- f2 xx Trait dash, (MB probes hit), 11, u3 xx Lex Probe

That's level 2 shields MID-COMBO, which is continued into a probe setup. The enemy has to get up with both a probe and a level-2 traited-up Lex.

And with the the probe out and shields on, Lex gets a meterless vortex because he can use:
d3 (probe hit) 11, 11, u3 xx Lex Probe instead of a b12 MB grav-pull which eats up meter.

Level 2 and probe in the corner means you can 50/50 them until shields are gone, and so long as you end with a probe, its meterless. So its totally with the initial meter spent on the MB probes.

Assuming the initial MB probes come out after the end of a previous corner combo- like f2, 11, 11, u3 xx MB Probes- here's video of the mid-combo trait followups for low starter (b1) and overhead starter (f2).

I also included the meterless low-starter d3-probe hit combos you can get once your shielded and have probes out.

Timing is a bit tricky until you get used to it- but once you do, level 2 trait is enough to last for 2 full combos, or at least will give you consecutive 50/50's until one hits, because they can't do shit until Lex's trait wears off.

Sorry for the third post in like 10 minutes lol, but there's so many gimmicks Lex can get off traiting-up mid combo and ending with probes- meaning you have a probe out and level 2 shields on AT THE SAME TIME.

I initially threw out an idea for a combo using:
b1/b2 xx Upward Lance Charge (probe hit) Lance Blast Release (full combo, meterless if in corner)

I had to throw it out because if the opponent blocked the b1/b2, it would be unsafe because they could duck under the upward lance blast, and even after blocking the probe hit they could full combo punish Lex for it. If the initial mix up b1/b2 hit-confirmed, it would be a full combo, but if it missed a mindgame occurred where the enemy had to guess if the Lex player would release at Level 2 or Level 3. The video shows what happens if they try to punish but the Lex player does an interrupt. It was still a bit more gimicky than actual tech because of that thought

If, as in the previous post, Lex does something that manages to get a probe AND shields out, not only is it completely-safe, because shields will protect Lex, but Lex can confirm into either a full combo or a lance blast.

So assuming a successful startup:

b1 xx Trait Dash, (MB probes hit), 11, 11, u3 xx Lex Probe
f2 xx Trait Dash, (MB probes hit), 11, u3 xx Lex Probe

Lex can then do a:

(low) b1 xx Upward Lance Blast Charge
(overhead) b2 xx Upward Lance Blast Charge

If the initial b1/b2 50/50 connects, you release the Upward Lance Blast at Level 2 which allows you to full combo into 11, 11, u3 xx Lex Probe. The probe hit chains the initial b1/b2 into the level 2 upward blast, so its a single combo.

If the initial b1/b2 50/50 is blocked, because you have shields, the opponent either has to try and mash out- shields will absorb the hit, and they'll get Lance Blasted into a full combo, OR they will have to wait and Lex can go into a Level 3 unblockable for guaranteed damage: you'll knock the enemy down and when they get up, you will STILL have trait on, so go for more 50/50's.