What's new

"Time to Die" A Goro Retrospective

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
For nine generations, which, from our knowledge, is the longest reigning streak of victories in the history of the tournament, one single champion reigned. One being remained unbeaten in Mortal Kombat for 450 years. All who opposed him, beginning with the legendary Great Kung Lao (who himself defeated Shang Tsung), met with a swift and certain death. Second only to Shao Kahn himself, none were more feared than this legendary warrior.

A General of the Armies of Outworld, eight feet tall, with four arms of terror, born to the royal Draco house of Shokan as prince and heir to King Gorbak, eight feet tall, with four arms of terror…..they named him Goro.

Punchwalk, mother******.

And today the boys over at the Lost pay homage to this proud combatant, trained to fight, to conquer, to rule….Goro!

It would also be remiss of me to point out that Goro has the single best track on the original Immortals (aka Lords of Acid) Mortal Kombat album. It is, as the kids say, fire.

Shad and Razor take us on a journey from noble kingdom of Shokan, clear up that confusion with the cobalt mines, Goro’s classic incarnation who lost literally a single fight in half a millennium, kicking the shit out of Art Lean, Goro’s all too short glorious golden peak when he formed the Shokan-Edenian Alliance with Kitana, the character assassinated that was his resurrection, the criminal misuse of the Big ManBeast in MK2011 (even if Shad is the kinda heretic who prefers Kintaro) to the dichotomy between the incredibly hype reveal of Goro for MKX…

...and the appalling use of Goro in the game itself where he appears as a possibly non canon sub boss

His badassness is directly proportional to how he was used in MKX

I gotta say, I adore Goro and question the sanity/character of anyone who doesn't. He just FEELS MK. Unless you’re the type of kitty-loving heretic like @Shad I consider it an article of faith that Goro is the greatest sub boss in the history of fighting games, not only MK. Very few feelings in Arcade Ladders match the fear of seeing your characters portrait go up to Goro’s in MK1. He felt genuinely unkillable, unbeatable, otherworldly….until you worked out the exploits but they were necessary dammit!

Da King.

Goro has been a mainstay of the franchise since the very beginning, from his days as crude stop motion to his top 5 character model in MKX and has become one of the single most recognisable characters in the entire franchise. It’s unlikely we’ll see him again in MK11, although let’s not rule out DLC, but either way we’ll always have the memories big fella. The painful, painful memories.

Pictured: the memories.

As always, check back to TYM everyday for all the latest news on Mortal Kombat, Injustice and everything NRS….in particular, the one and only upcoming Mortal Kombat 11.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I just finished listening to this earlier today. It's always cool to hear these retrospectives. ^^