What's new

Timberwolf's ultimate PDP Mortal Kombat TE fightstick mod (project log)

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I'd love one of these but I have a few concerns:

1) Aren't the buttons too close to the stick?
2) Are the buttons too close to each other?
3) Would it be better if the buttons were more straight?
4) Will having a button under the block button cause problems by getting in the way between 3 and 4 when playing MK?

I hope you realize these are noob questions and not criticisms! :)

I'd love one of these but I have a few concerns:

1) Aren't the buttons too close to the stick?
2) Are the buttons too close to each other?
3) Would it be better if the buttons were more straight?
4) Will having a button under the block button cause problems by getting in the way between 3 and 4 when playing MK?

I hope you realize these are noob questions and not criticisms! :)
1) The layout is based on the Madcatz Combat Panel (Madcatz' unofficial Mortal Kombat panel for the Madcatz TE) and the Vewlix layout (the standard layout for the Madcatz TE and SF4). On Japanese arcade sticks the buttons are actually even closer to the joystick than what I have on this layout. It might seem a bit different at first to people used to the standard PDP TE layout, however it's actually very functional-- in the end, it doesn't really make that much difference other than personal preference, and at any rate it's easy enough to adjust to.

2) The smaller distance between buttons is actually much better for gameplay since your hands do not have to reach as far to hit buttons, thus faster response time and more comfort.

3) From an ergonomics standpoint, the PDP stick isn't really that well laid out-- the square shape of the layout does not conform well to the human hand, and the distance between buttons is not very comfortable for many people, which is what Madcatz adressed when they designed the Combat Panel.

4) Not at all. I tested my "street combat" layout quite thoroughly before commiting to cut it out, and I never accidentally found myself hitting the A-button when I didn't want to. Even if this was a concern, the great thing about the PDP case is that it is so easy to open, it would be rather quick and painless to install 3 button hole blockers if I was say, at a tournament and I wanted to make absolutely sure that only the buttons I was going to be using would be able to get hit, whether that would be blocking the non-Mortal Kombat buttons for an MK match or blocking the non-Street Fighter buttons for a SSFIV match.

Overall I feel like it is the best possible fusion between the Japanese-style Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter layouts-- particularly when combined with Japanese buttons. For people who prefer a more old-school feel the original layout will do fine, but for people who want a mix of the old-school Happ feel and the ability to play both SF and MK smoothly, I would recommend an 8-button "mesh" layout like the one below, which actually does the opposite of the "street combat" layout by having Street Fighter on the left side and MK on the right side. It's less ergonomic but it definitely feels more oldschool than the Japanese-style ergonomic layouts.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference and what the individual user likes, however the general prevailing opinion is that more geometric layouts are preferable for Happ parts to get the classic oldschool feel, and the more ergonomic layouts are better for Japanese parts since it maximizes functionality and comfort.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Thanks for all the info, I don't have much experience with different sticks but some reason I do like my buttons spaced out as I have my whole hand covering the buttons (thumb for 3 and tag, index for 1, middle for block, ring for 2, and the side of my pinky for 4) and I'd hate to lose that, although I do see the logic behind it as it is more like a keyboard, but I'm thinking of the spaced out layout like its a piano if that makes any sense. I would like to try something different for my next stick, but the mesh layout looks really cool especially since I can assign one button for tag and one for throw.

@Timberwolf: A quick bump to the top. Any updates on those panels when they will be available? Impressive work and really like the art design as well.

Update time!

All the electronics are done, and for all intents and purposes the stick is finished! :bigsmile:

With a little more determination I probably could have arranged my PCBs and wirework in such a way that the plexiglass shell would have still fit, but since I was planning on leaving it off anyway I figured "why bother," and aimed to keep things more conviniently located than space efficient. Also, it's nice to be able to switch between the square and octo gates whenever I want! I've got a MC Cthulhu PCB, a generic Chinese common-ground Xbox 360 circuit board, and an Imp 2.0 switch to automatically switch between Xbox 360 and PS3 mode when it's plugged into either system.

The really nice thing about MC Cthulhu is how many friggin' consoles it supports! Here are the cords I've made for it so far (starting from the top, and then left to right): PS3/X360/PC, PS1/PS2, Game Cube, Dreamcast, SNES, and NES. The MC Cthulhu also supports Xbox 1, Sega Saturn, and TurboGrafx 16, but since I don't have any of those systems yet (and I don't have access to any), I'm not going to bother making cables for those until I do.

I've also made a video that shows some of the ins and outs of the stick with some footage of me playing MK9 and SSF4 on it (I'm still rather scrubby having spent most of my summer with no PS3, lol).

MannyG said:
Bump: Are you taking any orders yet, or are you still working on designs, Wolf?
Things have been a bit crazy around here since we've been doing reorganizing and redecorating at my house, so I wasn't able to start production as quickly as I like. Due to my school schedule I'll probably have to wait until October to actually fill any orders (since that's when I come back from school for a week), so I will probably be taking orders sometime in September. I wish I could've gotten started on production this summer, but getting the house fixed had to take priority. :boohoo:

tito887

Noob
what will it cost to reproduce?

I know I"ll eventually be buying an arcade stick. I'm not certain what I'll decide on. My plan is to buy a cheap one that can be passed back and forth when friends are over. Then eventually buying a custom stick from a place like Arcade in a Box. I really don't have the time to learn how to build one. It sounds like this was something you enjoyed to do but it took several hours of your time to complete. Let's get it all laid out. What would it cost you including/excluding the pdp arcade stick to reproduce? That's the first question. The second question. Are you still of the opinion that something like this could be built at a cheaper price then what arcade in a box could do?

Overall, I wouldn't say it was necessarily cheaper than an Arcade-In-A-Box stick, but it has more bang for the buck since you aren't going to get an MC Cthulhu with in an Arcade-In-A-Box stick, and I got a custom layout which I'm pretty sure isn't a service that AIAB offers, as well as the hinging mechanism which has proven to be a huge plus so far. In total I think I spent about $130 for the parts and materials I used to build and wire up my custom panel, but that's because I went all-out. There are cheaper alternatives to many of the parts I used, but I wanted this to be the "ultimate" PDP stick mod so I pretty much threw in everything but the kitchen sink.

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
Just curious to know if you had any updates or future projects you were working on. I recently had my classic pdp stick dual modded but I'm still very interested in this mod of mods. XD

Acid Hand

The Acid Hand
Cool mod. I have a question, and do not know too much about modifying sticks but I hope someone can help:

I opened my PDP fightstick and found that the start/select/PS buttons do not have wires going from them to any quick disconnects (like the punch/kick buttons do). The start/select/PS buttons are right in front of the board, so when you'd press them they directly touch the corresponding area on the board.

If I want new start/select/PS buttons instead of the original PDP ones, how can I do this?

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
I know this thread is hella old but i need some help. Well before I do, I must say that your mod is amazing which gives me hope that you might be the one who can help me with my problem.

I also have the old mk9 pdp Stick which actually is in a good condition ( Button and leverwise)

The problem I have is that the USB connector on the back of the Stick is unfortunately broken so I am not able to connect the USB cable anymore. It really is my favorite stick and I would be really happy if you could give me some tipps on what to do to fix it.

Do I have to buy a new PCB or is there any other solution to fix this problem?