What's new

Throws

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Because it would eliminate the ability to bait throw escape attempts in order to punish them. It's also covering two options at once by being able to block at the same time unless pressing a button caused block to release. I dont know how well that would play out.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
100% is an exaggeration. What I mean is, I "know" it's coming, but even when I'm right and I guess correctly, it doesn't get teched. If you try to neutral duck against Jax, Kabal, Geras, Cassie, or others, then you're going to get what's coming to you.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I wouldn't mind if they were slightly easier to break, or otherwise toned down in some very small way. I don't know that they need any major adjustments. I've gotten a lot better at breaking them. First time I've been able to actually use breaks in a game, but the timing is still tough and a lot of days I'm just not sharp enough to do it.

I don't know about this "eating attacks" business. I'm familiar with the phenomenon, but I'm assuming it's more about perception than reality. I don't think "priority" is really a thing in the game. If the thing goes active first then it's what hits. You tie or you hit, and that's that. Just because it "looks" like you should be on time doesn't mean you are. Throw animations are pretty subtle compared to a lot of other moves, and being off by 3 or 4 frames isn't hard to do. If you are off by a few frames you might be watching 6 or 7 frames of the two of you play out the moment trying to get to the active frames. Maybe that move you totally thought you had time to do just has way more obvious startup.

The only actual solution is priority; which is basically advocating for what DOA does. Attacks totally stuff throws, but that's a core system concept and it has some serious implications. It also looks pretty weird too sometimes.

Sanjo

Noob
I have a very high throw break rate or at least attempt rate (sometimes I get mixed up). Are you guys guessing more than reacting to throws?

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
This game has forced me to really focus and my tech game has gotten so much better because of it. Proud of myself.

That being said...

Why do I lose health for teching a throw? It’s a 50/50, and the window is tight. I should be rewarded for teching god damnit, not punished.
This is one of the few things I agree with in this thread. Throws should not damage you after you tech them.

Otherwise, throws are fine as is for the most part. The throw tech window is fine and it's pretty reactable in most situations. Kanos throw in particular gives me trouble through.

Level up your reaction time fellas

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
My only criticism for MK11 throws is the way you have to tech them. Throw techs should be simple:

You throw me, I press throw within a certain amount of frames to tech. The 50/50 aspect is dumb. Press 1 or 2 to escape seems odd.

Other than that, throws serve their purpose in this game. You block all day, I'm coming in with my wrasslin' tights on and you will be thrown. Some players online have insane defensive abilities. I have to open them up with throws. Same goes for me if my defense is too strong. My opponent will attempt to throw me.

If you are being thrown too much, it means that you are blocking too much instead of mounting an offense. You may be waiting for your opponent to make a mistake by attempting to turtle them out. That could cost you if you are not careful. If you get thrown 4 times, almost half your life will be gone. Mix up some offense with your defense and throws won't be too much of an issue.

Sanjo

Noob
My only criticism for MK11 throws is the way you have to tech them. Throw techs should be simple:

You throw me, I press throw within a certain amount of frames to tech. The 50/50 aspect is dumb. Press 1 or 2 to escape seems odd.

Other than that, throws serve their purpose in this game. You block all day, I'm coming in with my wrasslin' tights on and you will be thrown. Some players online have insane defensive abilities. I have to open them up with throws. Same goes for me if my defense is too strong. My opponent will attempt to throw me.

If you are being thrown too much, it means that you are blocking too much instead of mounting an offense. You may be waiting for your opponent to make a mistake by attempting to turtle them out. That could cost you if you are not careful. If you get thrown 4 times, almost half your life will be gone. Mix up some offense with your defense and throws won't be too much of an issue.
The 50/50 between 1 and 2 is not dumb. On the contrary, I think it's very very good. The fact that you have to take into consideration your position on screen, the possibility of a kb, your opponent's tendencies etc... the mind game is real and I enjoy it even when I'm on the receiving end.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Throws aren't eating buttons

its a duckable mid

its active frames are that of a normal button press.

pokes and d2's don't "crush" because only a low profile would crush a mid.

Your d1 or d3 or d4 or whatever, is literally coming out late and getting "counter hit" by a throw.

That is LITERALLY what is happening.

Gaxkang

Banned
Just don't tech. Neutral crouch if you know a throw is coming for sure.

It's not a 50/50 if you get hit every time like I do because I'm old and don't have the reactions to tech:
Yeah I don't even bother trying to tech, if I do get a tech it's by accident. :p

I just try to duck. Online tho, that input might not always get there in time.

Gaxkang

Banned
Doesn’t it reward mashing, though? You get your poke blocked and just go into a throw with your negative frames. Opponent who is plus after blocking your poke tries to counter poke, but instead gets thrown. Depending on the frames, the throw will beat anything you do except jumping, neutral crouching, or using certain specials. And that’s with the thrower being negative...
Well the way the poking game is supposed to work (or should) is if you block a D1 for instance, you should be able to do something. Like a D1 back.

At least online it doesn't really work like that...leading to all sorts of unpleasantness.

if someone blocks my D1 I might try a throw just to see what happens. I might get rocked, or it might work.

If someone's playing Geras online, in my experience if their D1 is blocked, they feel comfy hitting it again or doing a throw. My input disappears into the void of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a second that is the window. Which means there is no window heh.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Throw is a 2 button input assigned to a hot key. You would have to commit to a throw animation if you were expecting a throw.

This is why I mentioned that people would be getting grabbed out of shimmy attempts if that was the case.
then the shimmies would change, similar to how i shimmy in injustice, i tend to walk forward and then neutral jump to bait and punish the throw.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Im 36 and I got the reactions, to tech throws. The problem is is else where: its a f@cking flip coin, and I can't tech, when I block.

Oh, and by the way, a abuse the shiit out of throws. It really makes me laugh. With a character that has strong mids, like Kuhbaul (f2), its easy to condition to block, then the rape starts.

Sanjo

Noob
Im 36 and I got the reactions, to tech throws. The problem is is else where: its a f@cking flip coin, and I can't tech, when I block.

Oh, and by the way, a abuse the shiit out of throws. It really makes me laugh. With a character that has strong mids, like Kuhbaul (f2), its easy to condition to block, then the rape starts.
I'm 37 and I tech them.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Throws had the same priority over buttons pressed in MKX, the thing is the throw tech window was way bigger in that game and in MK11 it was def smaller, they should make the teching window bigger for sure

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Ok, but go read the first post in this thread. Apparently some people do know it's coming 100% and still struggle
eh teching grabs in this game is easy. The only problem is when people start doing them randomly, you guess wrong on the tech and then eat 31% the following grab.
Teching grabs should be the safer reactionary option, it seems like no matter what you’re going to eat a full combo’s worth of damage just because grabs exist.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
People who complain about anything other than throws vacuuming long range pokes don't understand why they need to be this way or they're actually complaining about online.

Either way, this is exposing a lot of people.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
eh teching grabs in this game is easy. The only problem is when people start doing them randomly, you guess wrong on the tech and then eat 31% the following grab.
Teching grabs should be the safer reactionary option, it seems like no matter what you’re going to eat a full combo’s worth of damage just because grabs exist.
Except most Chars only have one kb. Tech that like the genius you are and avoid 31%.

Throws are obvious 90% of the time if you have the sense to keep screen positioning and kb sides in mind. 99,9% of tym doesn't so they're calling the wambulance

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
The 50/50 between 1 and 2 is not dumb. On the contrary, I think it's very very good. The fact that you have to take into consideration your position on screen, the possibility of a kb, your opponent's tendencies etc... the mind game is real and I enjoy it even when I'm on the receiving end.
Again, it's fine if you like it that way but it seems so unnatural to me. But perhaps it's just the way that I'm used to throw teching in most other games.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Except most Chars only have one kb. Tech that like the genius you are and avoid 31%.

Throws are obvious 90% of the time if you have the sense to keep screen positioning and kb sides in mind. 99,9% of tym doesn't so they're calling the wambulance
Wow.
You can't possibly ever conceive the possibility, that maybe players can start throwing you in the direction opposite to that of the obvious one? It's crazy, right?