What's new

Throw Teching.. why???

Maybe I’m missing something, as I didn’t play MKX or 9 all that much,

But why in the world is throw tech directionally based? Tick throws in fighting games are always strong and instead they’ve just added a coin flip to it?

Coming from different fighters, if someone walks up to me and presses throw, and I also press throw simultaneously... should it not tech???? I just feels so abnormal and unnecessary. Especially at a lower level.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Tekken also has throw techs where you must guess front or back. There's even an added layer to throw techs when it comes to some character's specific throws. Sometimes you break with 1. Sometimes you break with 2. Sometimes you break with 1+2. The way throws are teched in MK11 aren't unheard of.

BS3OOO

Noob
Yeah it's been in the last few games, but for some reason they seem way more prevalent in this game.

Coming from different fighters, if someone walks up to me and presses throw, and I also press throw simultaneously... should it not tech????
You can semi reliably tech on reaction if you're anticipating a throw. In Street Fighter and Killer Instinct for example you need to 100% make a read and can't react to the animation so that's why its different. Like in KI throws are 4 frames with a 8ish(?) Frame tech window. Here its a 10 frame startup and10ish(?) frame tech window and often a characters only mixup.

The way I've dealt with this is I identify all the situations where my opponemt is very likely to throw (say, a successful jump in on block), decide from there what direction they will probably want to throw me (always towards the corner. If in the middle then guess) then specifically look for that first grab key frame animation in hit the fuck outa that tech button when I see it.

Yeah it's been in the last few games, but for some reason they seem way more prevalent in this game.
I like it. As stated above other games like Tekken employ this. It adds a guessing factor to it. Fighting games are like digital chess. Mono -a- Mono

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Tekken also has throw techs where you must guess front or back. There's even an added layer to throw techs when it comes to some character's specific throws. Sometimes you break with 1. Sometimes you break with 2. Sometimes you break with 1+2. The way throws are teched in MK11 aren't unheard of.
Tekken throws aren't guesses. You can visably see what throw your opponent is going for based on which of their hands reaches first

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Actually, Soul calibur has this mechanic, not tekken. In tekken u can see what throw is coming from the hands.

Tekken does have unique throw animations for forward and back throw.

The more nous one needs to throw tech, the better (IMO). If anything, the throw-normals should also be unblockable (as they were in MKX) and be techable for balance. It looks abjectly stupid for Kahn to have his back-breaker "blocked" by a static guarding opponent, and even when they're in a vulnerable crouched stance... Admittedly, as do many of NRS's games' 'intertesting' animation quirks and inconsistencies:

...To those not accustomed to leaving their fighting game brain at the door, before approaching this developer's wares. :rolleyes:

The notion that blindly mashing buttons should reward players with something technical (*underlined for semantic relationship), defies the very concept being promoted: the deliberate, conscious, calculated, technical and well-executed countering of an opponent's (in this case) throw. Splaying one's simian paws all over a gamepad, or mashing a joystick console like an epileptic chimpanzee in the throes of a grand mal seizure, should not be rewarded with a throw-break.

Now, whether or not throws are too easy to use/abuse in MK11, is another story entirely. Given the developer's god hand for an IP iteration, I'd have standing and crouching variants for all throws; I'd make the damage output different for all chars., based on char. archetype and the throw being executed; and I'd adjust the window for teching, in order to balance the stronger throws with the weaker ones... I'd also either disallow the throwing of larger combatants who clearly/logically should not be thrown by smaller ones -or- design throws specific to chars. with large carriage disparities -- example: like throwing "Earthquake" worked in the early Samurai Shodown games.

Of course, none of any of this will ever be implemented into an NRS game, nor will any of the love/hate for their throw mechanics ever be heeded by the developers to any meaningful degree... I mean, they even inexplicably removed the rather enjoyable ability to catch juggled opponents with throws, that was present in MKX! :rolleyes:

So... rant on, Tarkata fodder. Rant on!

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I just wish there was an option to throw tech with throw button. for some reason my brain can't comprehend using face buttons. it's been frustrating

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
....I HATE....I DESPISE....I LOATHE how throw breaks work in this game! How is a front punch/kick button NOT gonna counter a front throw!? Instead, they made it awkward by teching a front throw with a back punch/kick button. If it had been the other way around, teching wouldnt be such a headache. THATS why throws are so strong in this game.

....I HATE....I DESPISE....I LOATHE how throw breaks work in this game! How is a front punch/kick button NOT gonna counter a front throw!? Instead, they made it awkward by teching a front throw with a back punch/kick button. If it had been the other way around, teching wouldnt be such a headache. THATS why throws are so strong in this game.
This so much! I thought I had the timing wrong until I finally went and labbed it and realized it was reversed!

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I like it. As stated above other games like Tekken employ this. It adds a guessing factor to it. Fighting games are like digital chess. Mono -a- Mono
You can tell by what they lead with and the animation in tekken they lead the throw with both hands it’s a 1+2 break no guessing involved.