What's new

Throw tech advantage

Landonio

n00b
After a tech a jump back/ neutral jump are your best option other than blocking. Jacqui is the only character with an advantage after a tech because of her Amp throw tech.

Let me explain something for the umpteenth time. Throws will always be 50/50 as long as their isnt 1 tech button. MK has 2 different inputs to tech the corresponding throw, which makes it a 50/50. If there were one way to tech both throws then it wouldn’t be. Get over it.
You only addressed one point.

One frame of advantage isn't the end of the world.

Also why are you upset.

You only addressed one point.

One frame of advantage isn't the end of the world.

Also why are you upset.
I’ve already addressed them in previous posts. Just go read them.

It’s not...it’s practically the same, so why cry about it already being neutral?

I’m not upset, but stating the obvious is annoying. Throws are 50/50 we’ve known since MK9.

Not sure I agree. If I was playing against someone who did nothing but block, and I went for the grab to try and open them up and I got punished for it, I'd be pretty unhappy.

I'd honestly just be happy if throws weren't 50/50s. Not necessarily by combining the the tech buttons, but at least give me some way to tell which button I need to press.

Not sure I agree. If I was playing against someone who did nothing but block, and I went for the grab to try and open them up and I got punished for it, I'd be pretty unhappy.

I'd honestly just be happy if throws weren't 50/50s. Not necessarily by combining the the tech buttons, but at least give me some way to tell which button I need to press.
Throw would still be 50/50 even if forward/ back throw had unique animations. It would still be 10f throw.

People land throws very rarely outside of tick setups and certain situations. Being familiar with situations make your throw teching ability much better.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You shouldn't be teching in this game tbh.

It is no reward vs all risk. You're better off just eating the throw and living to fight another oki.

loading up a characters throw tech KB is just not something you ever want to do.

Landonio

n00b
I’ve already addressed them in previous posts. Just go read them.

It’s not...it’s practically the same, so why cry about it already being neutral?

I’m not upset, but stating the obvious is annoying. Throws are 50/50 we’ve known since MK9.
I'm not "crying" about anything. I'm merely pointing out the fact that given how strong throws are in this game, that ONE SINGLE FRAME OF ADVANTAGE as a reward for teching a throw, while still taking damage, isn't really a big deal.

But honestly I don't really care that much. Game has bigger issues than throws.

Throw would still be 50/50 even if forward/ back throw had unique animations. It would still be 10f throw.

People land throws very rarely outside of tick setups and certain situations. Being familiar with situations make your throw teching ability much better.
I mean, as long as we're in wishlist territory, then give me some appropriate window to be able to react. I don't personally care much about the actual implementation of how it would no longer be a 50/50, I just don't see the point in it being a guess. If I'm blocking you, you grab and I correctly react, today I don't even get a reward for that other than not taking as much damage and getting the right to keep doing what I've been doing. It's not like if this wasn't a 50/50 I could somehow abuse it. Unless I make some sort of offensive move, I'm just going to lose a war of attrition and since I don't get advantage, teching the throw doesn't inherently set me up to better be able to go on the offensive. I still don't think teching the throw should give me an advantage, but at least don't make me guess because the rewards for being lucky aren't really proportionate to the punishment for being unlucky.

I mean, as long as we're in wishlist territory, then give me some appropriate window to be able to react. I don't personally care much about the actual implementation of how it would no longer be a 50/50, I just don't see the point in it being a guess. If I'm blocking you, you grab and I correctly react, today I don't even get a reward for that other than not taking as much damage and getting the right to keep doing what I've been doing. It's not like if this wasn't a 50/50 I could somehow abuse it. Unless I make some sort of offensive move, I'm just going to lose a war of attrition and since I don't get advantage, teching the throw doesn't inherently set me up to better be able to go on the offensive. I still don't think teching the throw should give me an advantage, but at least don't make me guess because the rewards for being lucky aren't really proportionate to the punishment for being unlucky.
Throw has its own meta game. Being aware of screen positioning, tick throw setups, which throws KB, oki after throws, etc. all play a part in how strong throws are against you.

Scenario 1: Liu Kang vs Jade. He has her close to the corner. B/throw gives good oki, but gives away position advantage. F/ throw knocks her away, but she’ll be cornered. Which throw is LK more likely to go for?

A) b/throw
B) f/throw

Throw has its own meta game. Being aware of screen positioning, tick throw setups, which throws KB, oki after throws, etc. all play a part in how strong throws are against you.

Scenario 1: Liu Kang vs Jade. He has her close to the corner. B/throw gives good oki, but gives away position advantage. F/ throw knocks her away, but she’ll be cornered. Which throw is LK more likely to go for?

A) b/throw
B) f/throw
The problem is that connecting either throw rewards you, so it can easily devolve into a "they think I think that they think I'm going to do xyz". As the person who's throwing, maybe I choose the suboptimal throw because they're going to react to the obvious one. This type of mind game is recursive to the point that it does just become a 50/50 again.

I agree that there's more to it than just blindly pressing one of the face buttons, but I just don't feel that it's a mind game that adds much to the experience.

The problem is that connecting either throw rewards you, so it can easily devolve into a "they think I think that they think I'm going to do xyz". As the person who's throwing, maybe I choose the suboptimal throw because they're going to react to the obvious one. This type of mind game is recursive to the point that it does just become a 50/50 again.

I agree that there's more to it than just blindly pressing one of the face buttons, but I just don't feel that it's a mind game that adds much to the experience.
What you’re describing is called “yomi”. Basically making reads on what you think your opponent is thinking. In that situation I’d just neutral crouch and punish the throw attempt.

Position advantage is much better than 140 damage. If he did the b/throw in that scenario he just gave Jade the entire screen to run away/zone.

If she techs the throw, it’s no skin off LK because it’s a neutral situation & she’s still close to being cornered.

You should check out the fighting philosophy section. It will make you better at the throw game.

You shouldn't be teching in this game tbh.

It is no reward vs all risk. You're better off just eating the throw and living to fight another oki.

loading up a characters throw tech KB is just not something you ever want to do.
I agree with this lol. I usually go for the hard read and neutral crouch. They’ll stop throwing after a full combo punish.

What you’re describing is called “yomi”. Basically making reads on what you think your opponent is thinking. In that situation I’d just neutral crouch and punish the throw attempt.

Position advantage is much better than 140 damage. If he did the b/throw in that scenario he just gave Jade the entire screen to run away/zone.

If she techs the throw, it’s no skin off LK because it’s a neutral situation & she’s still close to being cornered.

You should check out the fighting philosophy section. It will make you better at the throw game.
Yeah, that's a good point. To be fair, I'm not an advanced player so I'm sure part of the reason I don't see the throw game as interesting is because for people around my skill level, it is a 50/50. Thanks for the suggestion, I need to spend some time working on this and mulling it over.