What's new

Throw escapes - the no BS guide.

Trevor

Noob
Note: if you want the tech immediately then skip to 6:22, but there is context before that.

I have been asked by people how I manage to throw tech somewhat efficiently in MK11. Given that there uis no option selectting in this game, you are always dealign with a 50/50, but this is the exercise I used to learn to do it. You know you are good at throw teching when you get thrown but you see the escape failed message. This means you are simply guessing wrong, but doing the right tech. This pratice drill made me a way better player that is able to avoid lots of damage. With that said, I would like hearing your own practice drills for this particular skill.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
5 minutes in and still no technique :(

Exercise starts at 7:28.

Record opponent doing 4 different timings of throws (walk forward 1 second and throw, walk forward 2 second and throw, etc). Set playback to random. React to throws. Profit.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
5 minutes in and still no technique :(

Exercise starts at 7:28.
Thanks for pointing the time out, but I would suggest most people check from at least 6:22 to get a better idea of how this is done. I did add the timestamp to the video on a sticky, but I feel most of what i say before the actual exercise is kind of important. The initial fight is proof of the value of the exercise too. I know some people are always in a hurry, I will also add it to the video itself.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for pointing the time out, but I would suggest most people check from at least 6:22 to get a better idea of how this is done. I did add the timestamp to the video on a sticky, but I feel most of what i say before the actual exercise is kind of important. The initial fight is proof of the value of the exercise too. I know some people are always in a hurry, I will also add it to the video itself.
I'd recommend putting the initial part at the end (or cutting it completely). If someone is already watching your video, they probably don't need to be further sold on the importance of throw-teching. This really could have been a very helpful 45-second clip, and would certainly reach more people than a 10-minute video that doesn't really start until more than 7 minutes in.

Trevor

Noob
Just added the timestamps to the actuall video. Easy to skip.I also wanted to explain my layout, so 45 seconds would not cut it for that purpose, but thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
I'd recommend putting the initial part at the end (or cutting it completely). If someone is already watching your video, they probably don't need to be further sold on the importance of throw-teching. This really could have been a very helpful 45-second clip, and would certainly reach more people than a 10-minute video that doesn't really start until more than 7 minutes in.
yeah but what I am selling is the value of my technique ;)

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
yeah but what I am selling is the value of my technique ;)
That's great for getting people to view your video. But you've already got that lol. I'm here. Stop selling and give me the content I was promised. You watch the channels that fail and the channels that succeed, and you can see it's just tiny things like this that add up to a positive or negative experience for your viewers. If I hadn't known you from TYM, I would have totally ignored the video and just looked in the comments to see if anyone summarized it.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I wish the game would tell you by how many frames you're missing the break. I'm an online warrior so I always practice with Online Delay turned on. I'm in training mode practicing throw breaks, and I literally cannot break a throw if I'm blocking when it starts up. I have to release block in anticipation of the throw, or the break doesn't come out. At that point, I'm better off just neutral-crouching for a punish. I can break 100% of the time if I don't have to release block. But in 15 minutes of practicing with Online Delay enabled, I have yet to land a single throw break after releasing the Block button.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I wish the game would tell you by how many frames you're missing the break. I'm an online warrior so I always practice with Online Delay turned on. I'm in training mode practicing throw breaks, and I literally cannot break a throw if I'm blocking when it starts up. I have to release block in anticipation of the throw, or the break doesn't come out. At that point, I'm better off just neutral-crouching for a punish. I can break 100% of the time if I don't have to release block. But in 15 minutes of practicing with Online Delay enabled, I have yet to land a single throw break after releasing the Block button.
It took me awhile, but I can do it. We're both in the over 30 crowd right? So we've got the OS going for us at least.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It took me awhile, but I can do it. We're both in the over 30 crowd right? So we've got the OS going for us at least.
I've gotten it once or twice. I just recorded some footage so I can try to see how many frames it's taking me to react. However, the window for breaks is so tight online that I doubt I'll ever purposefully break a throw on reaction. If anything, it will be a read, in which case neutral ducking will completely avoid the 50/50 and land a punish instead of a break. Right now, I'm not even looking at the animation. I'm looking at the opponent's button log and I'm breaking as soon as I see the Throw button is pressed, and I still can't do it lol.

[edit] I'm starting to get it, but still think neutral ducking is more viable. What I'm finding is you can't release block and then break, you have to release block and press the breaker button simultaneously. I have my ring finger on block and middle finger on 2, so if I want to break a forward throw, I can kind of roll my hand so my middle finger presses 2 just as my ring finger comes ff block, and that seems to be pretty consistent.

[more edits] It looks like you don't even have to release block until the end. So, while holding block, you can tech and then release block, and that too seems to make it more consistent. That means you only have to worry about breaking, initially, and can worry about releasing block a little later.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
Don't need a 10 minute guide for that...
That is a bit of a simplistic reply when the video showcases much more than that basic knowledge everyone knows. it's the actual exercise that helped me become good a tech throws with proof of its efficiency. The video has timestamps for those who don't want to see all of the content. Many of my followers have complained before that they get no context so it's hard to please everyone. Robocop did provide some constructive criticism whish is most welcome.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
I wanted to ask, how many of you use arcade stick for this game? I'm guessing a minority, but I have another older video that shows the perfect layout for mk11 for the arcade stick and it has many views, so there has to be somewhat of a community for this particular controller.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I'm an actual keyboard warrior myself, which I pretty firmly believe is the best peripheral for Mortal Kombat if you learn to use it. It's like a hitbox, but magnitudes more customizable.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I wanted to ask, how many of you use arcade stick for this game? I'm guessing a minority, but I have another older video that shows the perfect layout for mk11 for the arcade stick and it has many views, so there has to be somewhat of a community for this particular controller.
I play on Hitbox. My layout is:

1 2 Blk Stance
3 4 Amp Throw

This let's me FB with my pinky and ring finger on the top-right buttons.