What's new

Breakthrough Throw Back Thursday - Infant Kabal

REO

Undead
Who here remembers this video? Oldie but goodie. My Kabal play from this video is almost a night and day difference from it one year in. It's funny to watch back and see how far my Kabal developed from the infant days. This was also my first ever "grass root" major I traveled out of my state for MK9 and the first time I played on a big stream like Team Spooky. Memories. :eek:

What was the real reason you decided to switch to cyber sub in that tournament? Is it true that Tom begged you not to use Kabal in fear it would make MK9 look bad?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I remember the hype was bigger in chat than on stream for that match. The non MK community was rooting for Jwong pretty unanimously, and it blew up once you beat him.

Reactions: REO

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Man, this tournament was so fun. And had some pretty funny shenanigans, such as the sink incident.

Reactions: REO

REO

Undead
What was the real reason you decided to switch to cyber sub in that tournament? Is it true that Tom begged you not to use Kabal in fear it would make MK9 look bad?
I didn't want to use Kabal because we discovered f+3,2~NDC was a block infinite on every character but Kung Lao (he could just frame spin out of it because specials come out of block easier) at that tournament. The day before we played top eight I was playing Tom in casuals and he couldn't poke out of the nomad dash cancel reps I was doing, so we tested it and it was confirmed to be a block infinite. (sucks MK9 training wasn't good enough to warrant the testing prior to this event). Anyway, just about everyone knew about it at that tournament as a fair warning once we told players so I stopped playing Kabal and worked on my alts.

Man the pushback on Kung Lao spin is crazy in that vid. Was that a prepatch thing?
Yes. Spin was really hard to punish if you weren't making a read and were on point. EN spin was essentially safe on block. Tele 3~2~tele, repeat was an infinite. He had 70% corner BNB combos using over three dive kicks. Low hat was safe against 98% of the cast up close and +30 on hit. He had over 60% X-Ray combos mid-screen, etc. etc.