What's new

Through the mind of a Noob Saibot player

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Hello TYM !

its been ages since i posted here, after playing Noob Saibot exclusively for one week now, i have decided to come here and share my thoughts with all my fellow wraiths!

this thread will be divided into: Overview - Game plan - Tips and Tricks

Lets begin shall we ?

PS: using Dark Sabbath variation

- Overview

First of all, i want all of you to let go of MK9 Noob Saibot iteration and change your mindset towards his archetype. Forget the word "Zoner" and replace it with "Footsies and space control". He feels so much different in MK11 although he was promoted to be a pure zoner prior to release.

Now, one might ask, where does he shine then?
The answer is simple: good normal, good spacing and above average damage!
if you enjoy whiff punishing, poking, and being on point with your anti airs then this character is for you!

Lets go over his most vital and important normals:

- Standing 1: 7f. fast (high, +4 on hit, -2 on block)

- Back 1: 9f, very solid poke (mid, +6 on hit, -5 on block)

- Down 1: 7f, very good poke in stealing turns and interrupting pressure (mid, +9 on hit, -4 on block)

- Back 2: 12f, fast and good range (mid, knocks down on hit, -5 on block)

- Forward 2: 9f, good advancing normal (high, +8 on hit, -1 on block)

- Down 2: 10f, good anti air button, (high, -13 on hit, -23 on block)

- Back 3: 15f, long range and fast (low, -5 on hit, -16 on block)

- Down 3: 9f, fast and lowers Noob hurbox (low, +10 on hit, -5 on block)

- Standing 4: 13f, good punisher and good range (high, +9 on hit, 0 on block)

- Back 4: 13f, fast low with good knockdown (low, +22 on hit, -7 on block)

- Down 4: 9f, solid low up close (low, +19 on hit, -5 on block)

- Game plan

with solid fundamentals and good understanding of his normals you will be able to shine, be patient and dont jump unless its a read on a projectile, use your mid advancing pokes, dance with the opponent at mid range back and forth and try to make them whiff a big normal or get impatient by doing something risky. sometimes its a good thing to back out and see how your opponent react.

-
Tips and Tricks

- Forget about "running man" and consider your main projectile "spirit ball" since it has a faster start up but be considerate its a high.

- S4 into tele is a solid punisher for strings that are -13 on block with little push back since your b1 and s1 will whiff

- After a blocked d1 take a small step back and do b1, you would be surprised how much this works since people tend to press d1 after they block d1

- B3 into tele is a low with a very long range, use it to punish unsafe strings that push you far away

- Use b3 into spirit ball in neutral

- After landing a d4, your b2 becomes uninterruptible

- After landing either d1 or d3, your b1 becomes uninterruptible

- Use b1 1+3 in close ranges, if it connects you have all the time to cancel into ex tele for full combo, if its blocked, its safe since it pushes them so far away

- If you end combos in tele you are +18, meaning your b3 into spirit ball or b2, all uninterruptible

- If you end combos with b1 1+3 into spirit ball, you are +5, your b3 becomes 10f from half screen, and your b2 becomes a 7f mid that will beat anything they do except against 6f d1 characters

- After landing 212 do a neutral jump into ex air sickle to land behind them and launch them if they press anything or do a back jump to land in front, its -9 so use it sparingly

- B3 into tele combos anywhere, take some risks sometimes!

- Use hop 2 or 3 from time to time since they are overheads so it can make them stand block in the future

- S1 is a great 7f anti air, use it and convert into b1 1+3 !

- F3 is a great 10f anti air for jumps you are expecting into b1 1+3

- Noob has a great damage for one bar:

- Midscreen

113, ex tele, dash fast into f3, micro dash into b1 1+3, spirit ball/tele

- Anti air

s1 or f3. dash. b1 1+3 into ex tele, b1 1+3, spirit ball/tele

- Corner

have not trained yet XD

This brings me to my closing thoughts, after trying almost everyone in the cast and studying their frame data, i realized his frame data is very good and above average, so we have to approach him with a different mindset for this game.

i know most of these points are known, but i was hoping it would make a great informative read for all the lurkers :)

thanks a lot everyone for sticking to the shadows!

Enjoy !

Last edited:
Nice write up, thanks for putting it together!!
I am still familiarizing myself with the terminology. What does S4 stand for? (stand?)

Relearning MK and picking up Noob this is really helpful. Using b1 1+3 string to punish d1 is great because you even get the krushing blow from it.

Nutz

Noob
Having only one overhead string gave me some doubts but your write up gives me a solid foundation to build upon for an effective neutral game.
Thanks a lot man!

ColdSpine

Having only one overhead string gave me some doubts but your write up gives me a solid foundation to build upon for an effective neutral game.
Thanks a lot man!
He has a hop overhead just like everyone and its a good option, remember to use it!

You are welcome buddy!

NickOneTime

Bling Bling
How do you cancel B3 or S4 to tele? For some reason cancelling to any other special is easy but I can't cancel to tele.
Take this with a grain of salt because I just started messing with this character like an hour ago, but I was thinking something similar until I figured out you can just do down up and then KEEP HOLDING UP, like super early into the button you're trying to cancel anything into teleport. The buffer window will have it cancel ASAP ezpz. Also works with finicky stuff like b3 xx shadowball.

This defenitely made his combo enders with tele and such so much easier. I'd imagine the input window option still has to be set to "long" for this to work reliably

Nutz

Noob
Relearning MK and picking up Noob this is really helpful. Using b1 1+3 string to punish d1 is great because you even get the krushing blow from it.
For a second I was so confused. I was thinking "b1 1+3 ?! there's no crushing blow there!" and then my dumbass realized you can b1>1+3>2.

Amazing write-up. Noob is a character that can be played super, super safe, which fits my mentality/playstyle to a tee. A lot of the footsie options(like walk back b1 after blocked d1) I would've never thought to do. My only problem with Noob is im still really inconsistent on the f3 dash combos.

ColdSpine

Amazing write-up. Noob is a character that can be played super, super safe, which fits my mentality/playstyle to a tee. A lot of the footsie options(like walk back b1 after blocked d1) I would've never thought to do. My only problem with Noob is im still really inconsistent on the f3 dash combos.
After the ex tele pop up do a dash and hit them at the highest point with f3, then do the rest like this , f, f, b1 + 13 into whatever

think of the last part as a one input

i land it 100% of the time

Good luck!

If anyone is using custom with sickle snag and shadow portals, i found this yesterday. Circumstantial, but if you have it down and can do it on reaction, you'll probably get a lot of salt I imagine.

Anyways, opponent needs to be stand blocking, your fatal blow active with two offensive meter

B3 1+3 kb, 113 amp tele, 113 amp sickle snag, b1 1+3, fatal blow

Somewhere around 66% if i recall correctly. You need to dash/walk after kb and spec cancels, and have pretty good execution with your timing.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Can you actually cancel b3 or st. 4 into tele with Dark Sabbath? I've been playing Noob exclusively and I haven't been able to do either.

I'd never actually use b3~tele. It'll be mighty hard to hit confirm that. b3~spirit ball works fine for me.

St. 4~tele might be useful though. Even though f2 more easily punishes anything that st. 4 does, f221~tele doesn't connect.

Dante

Noob
B3 tele is confirmable after very specific situations.
Ex. F22 on block then backdash and see if they press a button while you press b3. If they do, you commit to tele and since b3 has no hurtbox if it hits from afar you are good

B3 ghostball is actually secretly terrible. When ppl learn (and they most certainly will) to recognise ghostball animation they gonna fuck it and punish for full combo

ColdSpine

Can you actually cancel b3 or st. 4 into tele with Dark Sabbath? I've been playing Noob exclusively and I haven't been able to do either.

I'd never actually use b3~tele. It'll be mighty hard to hit confirm that. b3~spirit ball works fine for me.

St. 4~tele might be useful though. Even though f2 more easily punishes anything that st. 4 does, f221~tele doesn't connect.
i use b3 into tele for long range punishes like scorpion’s chains move. St4 into tele has more damage than f22 maybe? cant remember, but yeah good stuff most of his moves are cancellable