What's new

Thoughts on what KingHippo say in this twitter post about the shady sponsors in the FGC?

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Being a top player doesn't automatically make one an expert in all things.

At the same time certain top players need to remember that they do have a level of responsibility to their fan base. Don't go around promoting bullshit, toxic, gatekeeping attitudes for starters - that literally helps nobody.

And don't encourage them into ponzy get rich/pyramid schemes either. If you "didn't know" ok cool we all make mistakes, learn from it and relay that to your fan base. If you did know and you still did it, you're an asshole.

I'm a strong advocate of people doing their own independent research / knowledge seeking, and having the confidence and self belief to come to their own conclusions and formulate their own opinions

This doesn't just apply to FGs or games, but for your whole life too.

My $0.02

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Wow I have no idea what’s going on here but I’m dying to know more. I know echo fox, like a lot of others, started scaling back investment but I can’t imagine people are mad about that... I mean they’re the ones that are taking the risks to make FGC a thing. Regarding the ESE coin crap, all I know about is a pump-and-dump scheme on its initial presale, but anybody buying a brand new coin when there are thousands out there knows the risks. I don’t blame high profile players taking sponsorships for risky things, live and learn.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
To make a very long story short, ESE is E-Sports Ecosystem, a cryptocurrency that was founded by Lap Chi Duong, a Calgary-based TO who is the president and founder of Canada Cup. ESE was heavily pushed as the next big thing in making tournaments and players not have to lose so much cash going to events and was pushed heavily, being a main sponsorship at Evo and having players like Justin Wong, SherryJenix, Neo, Coach Steve, etc. rock the tag and be sponsored by them.

Go to their website, and take a look for yourselves!

http://www.esportsecosystem.com/

Oh...

Suffice to say, I'm pretty tired of these pretty obviously whack business ventures pumping and dumping into the FGC, hemorrhaging cash, then quietly restructuring or folding with a completely different plan. ESE started off bad when they opened up pre-sale and then closed it almost immediately because of a "significant investment," which is code word in blockchain circles for someone buying up a ton of it just to make it look important so there is demand, and then once people invest, they dump out and make some cash while having an ultimately worthless product. Luckily, this kind of thing stopped working because crypto is a hellscape with no regulation, so the trick isn't new.

Now the common defense is that "Oh, these guys just wanted to make money, what's the harm?" Well, when almost every major sponsor, including Echo Fox, spends thousands of dollars in an FGC investment while having no clue what they're doing and end up bowing out after like a year, this makes every other sponsor with something between their shoulders go "Yeugh..." because they can't figure out how to make any goddamn money either because they don't know any better. So they stay away.

I don't necessarily want a bunch of corporate money to become the standard, but if people are gonna make any money consistently that's how it's gonna be, and yet there is no quality control, so crappy sponsors like this run wild. It's so frustrating. Further reading from me on the subject:

https://themsfightingwordsblog.wordpress.com/2018/10/27/money-for-nothing-fgc-e-sports-is-in-desperate-need-of-serious-people/

https://themsfightingwordsblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/loose-screws-its-not-wrong-to-question-fgc-events-people/

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Suffice to say, I'm pretty tired of these pretty obviously whack business ventures pumping and dumping into the FGC, hemorrhaging cash, then quietly restructuring or folding with a completely different plan.
Is this something that happens often?
This sounds like something a person would say if this happened often.