What's new

This should be a topic, how to lab properly

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
Hey everyone, so im labbing a lot more than i used to in MKX and i wanted to create this for anyone who is confused on how to do it. Im asking for anyone to comment and help people in all ranges of skill to become better.

I know a lot of what to do but just want to make sure im using my time wisely. Ill ask the basic question to start it off. What exactly, in its entirey, should be covered when labbing? I usually find a certain pressure situation and see how myself and the opponent can escape but sometimes i dont know how certain characters apply pressure. How would i do this without knowing and like i asked before what else should be covered as well as frame data maybe spacing etc.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
1. When picking up a character you want to familiarise yourself with everything the character can do; use every button, see the range and at least understand but preferably learn the frame data of the character.

2. When dealing with a certain situation, set up the opposing character by recording the move you are trying to learn to deal with and set yourself up to counter it - but ALWAYS make sure to record different variations where applicable so that you can react properly. Practicing in a controlled environment can lead to still not being able to deal with the attack because you are too used to the rhythm of how the recorded opponent does it.

3. If you don't know how a character works, pick up that character as if you were going to play it. Top players often just learn the entire roster on their own level, which leads to better understanding and a higher level of play in the game entirely. It is a common misunderstanding that you only need to know and play one character in a fighting game's current iteration. Truth is that the more you know in the game, the better you'll be able to fight. "Upsets" happen when somebody brings a gun to a fist fight so to speak, when you pull out a character that nobody used or bothered with and end up beating everyone with it. This is less likely to happen in injustice 2, but it might happen to YOU if you aren't up to date.

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
@GLoRToR great advice! Ive been trying to learn everyone like you said so its an easier and less stressful way of forcing myself to remember but felt i suffered from single player and felt like i lost my touch when online. Any tips for that?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
When picking up a character you want to
@GLoRToR great advice! Ive been trying to learn everyone like you said so its an easier and less stressful way of forcing myself to remember but felt i suffered from single player and felt like i lost my touch when online. Any tips for that?
Get rekt. Find the strongest player and die trying.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
- If there's sonething you don't know how to deal with, record the character doing it and try to see your options but also explore if that character has options to counter yours just so you know what to expect.

- When trying to learn set-ups always test them with tech roll on, but also test it with it off after just to see what you can do in borh situations OR if you have an option to cover both (also test delayed wake-up options)

- When you're testing set-ups, make sure to record them and try blocking them yourself. I've lost count on how many potential set-ups I have found in this game after watching the "cross-up" indicator coming out on top of the screen but once I tried blocking them myself they turned out to not be cross-ups at all.
And in general, it's always good to try testing the set-ups against yourself since you're a human at the enf of the day and you'll be able to see how hard it is to get out and all that.

- This one is known for everyone but I'll put it out there just in case... to know the hit/block advantage of something set AI to jump, perform the string/move you wanna test and once it hits/gets blocked neutral jump yourself, depending on how faster one of the characters jumps means that one has the advantage. Also works to know how + something is on knockdown.

- To see how fast a dash is just do set AI to jump, perform any normal/string on hit, then dash in/away and neutral jump, then depending on how + that move qas and how early your character jumps you'll be able to tell how fast it is. For example, if you did a move that was +16 on hit and both characters jumped at the same time after the dash, then your dash is 16 frames.

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
If you set the opponent to jump and auto block and they block instead of jumping after getting hit/blocking you know it jails.
Ok so i main batman and an example of that would be his MB batarang on block right? Ive tested it against catwoman but had her set to backdash cause I struggled keeping pressure with that damn backdash lol

Yeah you should be able to do something like 223-mbstraight batarang-dash-112 and they shouldn't be able to jump out if you set the opponent to autoblock and jump if you time it right they shouldn't jump until after the 112.