What's new

This is why Skarlet's parry should be at least 1 frame faster

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

It's so bad.

The reason why this should be a base move and keep the gaps would be an interesting mechanic to play around with, a character that can mask her gaps and counter it, but it's just a butchered concept.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Too cheap to be on every starting string. That’s like being able to cancel all normals/strings into a safe option. That would be forcing the opponent to respect the parry in any gap situation. Flawless block would be a useless advance mechanic going up against her. That’s the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while. Snk had did something similar in kof 14 with Vanessa she could sway after every normal and make any string that was unsafe safe to block. Good thing they patched it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Too cheap to be on every starting string. That’s like being able to cancel all normals/strings into a safe option. That would be forcing the opponent to respect the parry in any gap situation. Flawless block would be a useless advance mechanic going up against her. That’s the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while. Snk had did something similar in kof 14 with Vanessa she could sway after every normal and make any string that was unsafe safe to block. Good thing they patched it.
Skarlet has 1 steing with no gap, 1, her staggers are all slow and parry isn't even base move, kitana, lao and anyone with a 9f or faster block attack renders her parry useless.

Skarlet looks like a character that is supposed to have gaps and counter ppl so she isn't flb often, but this idea is incomplete because these characters dgaf about parry.

Anf comparing skarlet to vanessa is insane, skarlet plays this game with no mid faster than 13f, lots of recovery on d1 and jabs, and by definition everyone she blocks a d1 is always +3 against her.

The only one with a scary option is liu kang.

I wouldn't mind this being 8f and base move

It's so bad.

The reason why this should be a base move and keep the gaps would be an interesting mechanic to play around with, a character that can mask her gaps and counter it, but it's just a butchered concept.
It's so bad? Isn't it 9 frames for start up and holdable ? Jade's starts up is 12 frames ........cry me a river.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Skarlet has 1 steing with no gap, 1, her staggers are all slow and parry isn't even base move, kitana, lao and anyone with a 9f or faster block attack renders her parry useless.

Skarlet looks like a character that is supposed to have gaps and counter ppl so she isn't flb often, but this idea is incomplete because these characters dgaf about parry.

Anf comparing skarlet to vanessa is insane, skarlet plays this game with no mid faster than 13f, lots of recovery on d1 and jabs, and by definition everyone she blocks a d1 is always +3 against her.

The only one with a scary option is liu kang.

I wouldn't mind this being 8f and base move
The comparison between those two was to make a point that the option to make any of her gaps safe and “unpunishable” from being hit with flawless block is cheap.
Being able to parry a flawless block kills the advancement of that mechanic it’s bad enough you can do it off that one normal at the end of the video.
Don’t you think they made the start up that slow because you can hold the parry and even cancel it unlike sonyas where it’s fast but she can’t cancel nor hold the parry. It’s even more unsafe than skarlets. I’m sure the idea of it is to make her better but like I stated that’s too cheap and kills the point of a game mechanic

DeftMonk

Noob
The comparison between those two was to make a point that the option to make any of her gaps safe and “unpunishable” from being hit with flawless block is cheap.
Being able to parry a flawless block kills the advancement of that mechanic it’s bad enough you can do it off that one normal at the end of the video.
Don’t you think they made the start up that slow because you can hold the parry and even cancel it unlike sonyas where it’s fast but she can’t cancel nor hold the parry. It’s even more unsafe than skarlets. I’m sure the idea of it is to make her better but like I stated that’s too cheap and kills the point of a game mechanic
How is this making some move unpunishAble? It just adds a mind game where both options have counters rather than “guess what? Lul eat this fb”

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Do you know Kabal exists in this game right?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It's so bad? Isn't it 9 frames for start up and holdable ? Jade's starts up is 12 frames ........cry me a river.
Jade doesn't have a gap on every string option, and certainly has a better d1 and a mid faster than 13f. Which is something Skarlet doesn't have.
It doesn't mean she should, but she should excel at least at her parry, by 1 frame, so she can check for pressure and option selects without having to poke or grab, her gameplan lacks diversity.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
How is this making some move unpunishAble? It just adds a mind game where both options have counters rather than “guess what? Lul eat this fb”
It stops you from connecting your flawless block attack through a gap which was shown at the last clip of the video. That breaks the flawless block attack and makes it a useless advance mechanic which suppose to help a character bypass pressure. If the opponent is on the offensive side putting pressure on you with skarlet and you decide to flawless block through a gap in her string and she has the option to parry what was meant to stop her from keeping pressure on you how is that not cheap. You literally are forced to waste meter and eat a punish for trying to stop skarlet. That breaks the point of that mechanic.

I mean...I could just pick up Kabal and make it a useless mechanic by default.
So you’re telling me that kabal can punish any characters flawless block attack in the game? I despise that character and I’ll never choose him so it’ll be news to me. My hate for him got worse when I figured out he was one of my mains worse match ups.

Jade doesn't have a gap on every string option, and certainly has a better d1 and a mid faster than 13f. Which is something Skarlet doesn't have.
It doesn't mean she should, but she should excel at least at her parry, by 1 frame, so she can check for pressure and option selects without having to poke or grab, her gameplan lacks diversity.
Well Jade only has one good string let's be real.... and there is a gap on that. Back 1 2 or forward 4 1 are death. Forward 343 has horrible range. Her d1 is fast but has poor range. I think Jade's game plan lacks diversity........ I hope her parry gets buffed but I certainly won't hold my breath .

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It stops you from connecting your flawless block attack through a gap which was shown at the last clip of the video. That breaks the flawless block attack and makes it a useless advance mechanic which suppose to help a character bypass pressure. If the opponent is on the offensive side putting pressure on you with skarlet and you decide to flawless block through a gap in her string and she has the option to parry what was meant to stop her from keeping pressure on you how is that not cheap. You literally are forced to waste meter and eat a punish for trying to stop skarlet. That breaks the point of that mechanic.
No it doesn't, because she has to make a read for it, and if you don't flb and attack low or jump on parry she still loses, even if you don't do anything canceling to parry makes her lose her turn, and the recovery is just as punishable as any other reversal.

So you’re telling me that kabal can punish any characters flawless block attack in the game? I despise that character and I’ll never choose him so it’ll be news to me. My hate for him got worse when I figured out he was one of my mains worse match ups.
No he is telling you that Kabal doesn't have gaps so you cannot flawless block him, kabal by default renders the flb mechanic useless.

You would still be able to flb skarlet, the gaps would still be predictable and easy to flb, but her mind game with the gaps would be a much more interesting one to explore

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well Jade only has one good string let's be real.... and there is a gap on that. Back 1 2 or forward 4 1 are death. Forward 343 has horrible range. Her d1 is fast but has poor range. I think Jade's game plan lacks diversity........ I hope her parry gets buffed but I certainly won't hold my breath .
Skarlet has only 44 and starts high.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I agree that Skarlet needs help. Not convinced though that making her parry faster is the right buff.

Hope I'm not being dense here, but what does this demo have to do with Skarlet's gaps? Lao is FLB attacking after the first hit of each string, not the hit following a gap. The fact that Skarlet can't parry the u2 doesn't have anything to do with whether there is a gap after the first hit. Heck, you could put the great gapless Kabal in this same situation and Lao would still be able to FLB u2 the first hit on some of his strings.

But ok, if you look at this demo for what it is, I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. As noted, any character can be FLB punished on the first hit of some of their strings, gaps or no. It happens, but requires a hard read and is easily beaten by being unpredictable or using good spacing. Skarlet's long reach is one of her strengths; at max range of some of these hits (like the b1), Lao's FLB u2 whiffs. She doesn't absolutely need the parry in this situation.

Lastly, the startup of the parry is obviously important, but I'm not sure it's the most important factor. For example, Joker and Robocop also have 9-frame parries and they're both able to parry an 8-frame FLB u2 on several of their strings. Even Kotal with his 10-frame parry can beat the FLB u2 on more of his strings than Skarlet can.

I spent a while playing with it, and I'm honestly not sure what the key factor is. I would have guessed it's related to the button's recovery frames, cancel advantage, and the block stun it imparts, but I'm not sure. For example, Robocop can parry Lao's FLB u2 off his standing 2, even though Robo's s2 has a longer recovery than Skarlet's s2 (19 vs. 18), less cancel adv on block (11 vs. 16), and worse block adv (-4 vs. 0). I think it may have to do with how much block stun is enforced before the u2 can come out; you can definitely see differences on different buttons. I'm thinking of it as "block stun cancel frames" for lack of a better term.

Anyway, my point is that I'd rather see NRS buff Skarlet's buttons to give some of them longer enforced block stun (fewer cancel frames) than see them speed up her parry. I think a faster parry could be too strong a buff, given that she can also hold it and it has very quick recovery.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I agree that Skarlet needs help. Not convinced though that making her parry faster is the right buff.

Hope I'm not being dense here, but what does this demo have to do with Skarlet's gaps? Lao is FLB attacking after the first hit of each string, not the hit following a gap. The fact that Skarlet can't parry the u2 doesn't have anything to do with whether there is a gap after the first hit. Heck, you could put the great gapless Kabal in this same situation and Lao would still be able to FLB u2 the first hit on some of his strings.

But ok, if you look at this demo for what it is, I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. As noted, any character can be FLB punished on the first hit of some of their strings, gaps or no. It happens, but requires a hard read and is easily beaten by being unpredictable or using good spacing. Skarlet's long reach is one of her strengths; at max range of some of these hits (like the b1), Lao's FLB u2 whiffs. She doesn't absolutely need the parry in this situation.

Lastly, the startup of the parry is obviously important, but I'm not sure it's the most important factor. For example, Joker and Robocop also have 9-frame parries and they're both able to parry an 8-frame FLB u2 on several of their strings. Even Kotal with his 10-frame parry can beat the FLB u2 on more of his strings than Skarlet can.

I spent a while playing with it, and I'm honestly not sure what the key factor is. I would have guessed it's related to the button's recovery frames, cancel advantage, and the block stun it imparts, but I'm not sure. For example, Robocop can parry Lao's FLB u2 off his standing 2, even though Robo's s2 has a longer recovery than Skarlet's s2 (19 vs. 18), less cancel adv on block (11 vs. 16), and worse block adv (-4 vs. 0). I think it may have to do with how much block stun is enforced before the u2 can come out; you can definitely see differences on different buttons. I'm thinking of it as "block stun cancel frames" for lack of a better term.

Anyway, my point is that I'd rather see NRS buff Skarlet's buttons to give some of them longer enforced block stun (fewer cancel frames) than see them speed up her parry. I think a faster parry could be too strong a buff, given that she can also hold it and it has very quick recovery.
Skarlet can parry any u2 slower than 9f from any gap, and equal 9f u2 from a jab canceled into parry.

Making her parry 1f faster, allows you stagger into jab parry and even prevent u2 that are 8f, even if you do not make her parry everything, making the parry 1f faster allows her to blow up 90% of the cast without buffing buttons alone on her gaps, when you make a read.

And even if she can't parry 8f u2 from strings, she can still go around with staggers into jab parry which should do the trick.

That was the purpose of that video the only 9f u2 skarlet can't jab parry is erron because he uses a gun.

Reducing the cancel advantage might do the trick if done by 2 frames in some buttons and strings too yeah, agreed.