What's new

THIS is how you do hitboxes

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
SFV's hitboxes are not tied to the character animations. I just saw this posted over at Eventhubs, and I think it's an incredibly smart design decision by Capcom.

Gif of it in action here:
http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2016/jan/18/dantarions-game-street-fighter-5-hitboxes/

This eliminates a lot of the weirdness that happens when hitboxes are tied to the character, like projectiles hitting a crouching character only in certain parts of their breathing animation.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
SFV's hitboxes are not tied to the character animations. I just saw this posted over at Eventhubs, and I think it's an incredibly smart design decision by Capcom.

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2016/jan/18/dantarions-game-street-fighter-5-hitboxes/

This eliminates a lot of the weirdness that happens when hitboxes are tied to the character, like projectiles hitting a crouching character only in certain parts of their breathing animation.
If only we could figure out a way to enable this on MKX PC

Skkra

meh. I like the whole breathing animation aspect. Adds a sense liveliness to the game.
I gueeeeeess? It really just adds inconsistency, which is not what you want in a competitive game. If I can neutral duck a projectile, I don't want to randomly get hit 20% of the time because I happen to be at the high point of my character's breathing animation.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
meh. I like the whole breathing animation aspect. Adds a sense liveliness to the game.
I mean look at Zangief he's moving and what not, but the hitbox isn't changing.

So NRS can still do the breathing animations but they shouldn't move the character's hitbox.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Ryu_vs_Zan.gif

Breathing animation and breathing hitboxes are two different things. Having a hitbox sway to follow breathing/idle seems to me like a remnant of the full 3D era of MK, which apparently NRS failed to realize they're not making anymore. 3D characters, 2D hitboxes, yeah?

Reactions: d3v

Error404

Noob
I gueeeeeess? It really just adds inconsistency, which is not what you want in a competitive game. If I can neutral duck a projectile, I don't want to randomly get hit 20% of the time because I happen to be at the high point of my character's breathing animation.
This has literally never happened to me once with any character regardless of hitbox size.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
What's super weird is that in MK9 training mode you had the option to show the hit area display. It's not as elaborate as hitboxes but it showed what parts of a character is using to attack.

They got rid of that since Injustice

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Killer Instinct called.

They said, "welcome to the party, SFV."

At least with making them visible. It seems like there was some manipulation to display them. KI has a wonderful function to display the hit and hurtboxes on moves in very clear fashion. It's quite helpful for learning a move's coverage.

Skkra

Killer Instinct called.

At least with making them visible. It seems like there was some manipulation to display them. KI has a wonderful function to display the hit and hurtboxes on moves in very clear fashion. It's quite helpful for learning a move's coverage.
I completely agree. SFV is not the first game to do this. I'm just saying that thank god they ARE doing it this way. It removes a lot of wonky stuff that can happen.

trufenix

bye felicia
The brand new game Capcom made while getting paid to rereleasing the same 7 year old one for the fifth time has engine improvements?! Holy shit.

It is really surprising NRS is so resistant to make changes and improvements to their own games.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Killer Instinct called.

This is the first thing I thought about while reading the OP. People seriously don't realize how much KI put all the OGs on blast.

Last edited: