What's new

This gem from the Mary Sue about Sonya Blade 'Fanboys'

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Consider this: if you think you are somehow intellectually superior to those people, why should you need to observe their inferiority in order to reinforce that feeling of superiority in yourself? You just are.

On the other hand if you do need that feeling, you likely aren't.

It's a pretty stubborn cognitive bias to perceive someone, whom you disagree with fundamentally, as in some capacity lesser than you are.

I personally think you should stop behaving like that but it's just my personal opinion.
Oh I know, believe me, I majored in psych and if anything I'm harsher on myself because of it and I analyze everything I do. Maybe I just read the articles because I'm trying to understand why they think that way and I can't wrap my head around why. Maybe if I read enough I'll be able to pinpoint the reason, of course, I've come up with a few, but then again maybe I just want to change their minds by trying to debunk their claims because I've been there before and it made me regress as a person, not grow.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Oh yeah, because we are oh-so-smart.

We TYM users have a tendency to be better MK players and more loyal to the franchise than our YT counterpart, but we aren't any smarter.
No, but if anything being loyal and loving the franchise means our concerns or praise has some weight.

kevkopdx

Noob
Yep, but they cited ONE comment that blamed feminism but for a journalist...did they even bother coming here to see people's opinions?
Not sure if coming here would help with threads about bringing back the g strings and giant bouncy breasts of mk9 lol

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Oh I know, believe me, I majored in psych and if anything I'm harsher on myself because of it and I analyze everything I do. Maybe I just read the articles because I'm trying to understand why they think that way and I can't wrap my head around why. Maybe if I read enough I'll be able to pinpoint the reason, of course, I've come up with a few, but then again maybe I just want to change their minds by trying to debunk their claims because I've been there before and it made me regress as a person, not grow.
The most painful truth of understanding fragments of the human mind is when you realise that not only is your own condition uncurable without developing a willingness to accept it as is, but there is literally nothing you can do to help people unless they want you to help them help themselves.
This stems from the same issue. Which is basically that we tend to either stick our heads in the sand about issues, or assess them through some manner of filter.
It's literally the hardest thing to do in psychotherapy, to see clearly about mental problems.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Not sure if coming here would help with threads about bringing back the g strings and giant bouncy breasts of mk9 lol
Imagine the article they would write, after many hours of therapy. "WE NEED TO OUTLAW THE FEMALE FORM!"

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
The most painful truth of understanding fragments of the human mind is when you realise that not only is your own condition uncurable without developing a willingness to accept it as is, but there is literally nothing you can do to help people unless they want you to help them help themselves.
This stems from the same issue. Which is basically that we tend to either stick our heads in the sand about issues, or assess them through some manner of filter.
It's literally the hardest thing to do in psychotherapy, to see clearly about mental problems.
That is so very true. We can't see the logic behind something when we use anything else but facts, like our emotions for example, that can change rapidly and can also be untrue or delusional. I used to fight with depression and anxiety daily and I never realized I was depressed until I was out of that state of mind and it's crazy what we let ourselves suffer through just because of resentment and self-hatred. In a way, I know that maybe I feel like I want to save everyone because I've been there and now I know better, and the rational part of knows I can't, but I still want to believe that people want to change and the reality is - like you said - they won't change and can't change unless they decide they want to on their own. That's exactly what happened to me.

I love conversations like this, marry me. (It's not a question, it's a request).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
That is so very true. We can't see the logic behind something when we use something that is not logical, like our emotions who can change rapidly and can also be untrue or delusional. I used to fight with depression and anxiety daily and I never realized I was depressed until I was out of that state of mind and it's crazy what we let ourselves suffer through just because of resentment and self-hatred. In a way, I know that maybe I feel like I want to save everyone because I've been there and now I know better, and the rational part of knows I can't, but I still want to believe that people want to change and the reality is - like you said - they won't change and can't change unless they decide they want to on their own. That's exactly what happened to me.

I love conversations like this, marry me. (It's not a question, it's a request).
And here I thought you Cassie players had no soul.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That is so very true. We can't see the logic behind something when we use anything else but facts, like our emotions for example, that can change rapidly and can also be untrue or delusional. I used to fight with depression and anxiety daily and I never realized I was depressed until I was out of that state of mind and it's crazy what we let ourselves suffer through just because of resentment and self-hatred. In a way, I know that maybe I feel like I want to save everyone because I've been there and now I know better, and the rational part of knows I can't, but I still want to believe that people want to change and the reality is - like you said - they won't change and can't change unless they decide they want to on their own. That's exactly what happened to me.

It's such a commonly parroted thing that acknowledging a problem is the first step towards solving it and we often don't appreciate just how true it is.
Depression is nothing but the fear of the unacknowledged. In therapy we often have to beat around the bushes for months on end because the subject won't acknowledge or express something as simple as "I'm afraid to tell my spouse I hate that they never do the dishes" because it's linked to irrational aversion. It's literally fascinating to what lengths the human mind will build bypasses over simple issues just so that one can avoid one's insecurities.

As for marrying you, I'm not entirely opposed to becoming a canadian citizen but I need to get to know you a bit better first.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
It's such a commonly parroted thing that acknowledging a problem is the first step towards solving it and we often don't appreciate just how true it is.
Depression is nothing but the fear of the unacknowledged. In therapy we often have to beat around the bushes for months on end because the subject won't acknowledge or express something as simple as "I'm afraid to tell my spouse I hate that they never do the dishes" because it's linked to irrational aversion. It's literally fascinating to what lengths the human mind will build bypasses over simple issues just so that one can avoid one's insecurities.

As for marrying you, I'm not entirely opposed to becoming a canadian citizen but I need to get to know you a bit better first.
I was just thinking that the other day, it's such a cheesy thing to say but it's absolutely true. If you don't realize that you have a problem, then why would you change in the first place? I agree, depression is the culmination of avoiding all the small issues we let become bigger and bigger instead of cutting them off at the roots when they first appear. The human mind is extremely interesting and complex, and being able to help people achieve healing of the pieces that didn't fit quite right is such a privilege.

Sounds good to me. :cool:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I was just thinking that the other day, it's such a cheesy thing to say but it's absolutely true. If you don't realize that you have a problem, then why would you change in the first place? I agree, depression is the culmination of avoiding all the small issues we let become bigger and bigger instead of cutting them off at the roots when they first appear. The human mind is extremely interesting and complex, and being able to help people achieve healing of the pieces that didn't fit quite right is such a privilege.

Sounds good to me. :cool:
Find me on Steam, happy to continue this conversation without clogging the forum.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Find me on Steam, happy to continue this conversation without clogging the forum.
Aw, but I'm allergic to minding my own business. :(

If he is, I'll let you soul steal Cass if you let me nut punch him.
Add me on Steam and we'll see who gets to steal souls / punch nuts the most when MK11 comes out. If Shang gets a roaster spot at lest, otherwise I'll be crying in a corner.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Add me on Steam and we'll see who gets to steal souls / punch nuts the most when MK11 comes out. If Shang gets a roaster spot at lest, otherwise I'll be crying in a corner.
Last time I tried that you trashtalked me. What's the guarantee that you aren't a salty fuck anymore? :D

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

I will :D I play on PS4 though but I can add you on there once the game is out.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I was talking to Vslayer. I don't even remember having a discussion with you though, what happened?
It was at the start of mkx, I fought your shinnok with a day 1 cassie and you didn't like 212 nutpunch into f3nutpunch. Eventually you managed to 3-0 me and when I asked if you wanted to play again you said "not with you" and then some other stuff. I don't hold a grudge, I just don't like to fight people who get emotional over winning or losing.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
It was at the start of mkx, I fought your shinnok with a day 1 cassie and you didn't like 212 nutpunch into f3nutpunch. Eventually you managed to 3-0 me and when I asked if you wanted to play again you said "not with you" and then some other stuff. I don't hold a grudge, I just don't like to fight people who get emotional over winning or losing.
That really doesn't sound like me, are you sure you aren't mistaking me for someone else?

Anyway if it was me, and the event transpired as you said, I apologize. I must have had a bad day or something. I dislike "getting emotional", as you say, over games myself.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That really doesn't sound like me, are you sure you aren't mistaking me for someone else?

Anyway if it was me, and the event transpired as you said, I apologize. I must have had a bad day or something. I dislike "getting emotional", as you say, over games myself.
No big deal. I'll send you a request and we can play sometime :)