What's new

This gem from the Mary Sue about Sonya Blade 'Fanboys'

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Link to article: https://www.themarysue.com/sonya-blade-mk11-new-look/

Friends, dearly beloved stick and pad fighters alike, we are gathered here today to laugh at the stupidity of this generation and what could only be the culmination of years of malnutrition in the form of veganism and probably one too many feminist conference.

In the article, they praise Sonya for being a badass 51 year old, when her model has no indication she's that old. I mean for her age, she's lookin' FINE, but that's not the issue here what people don't like is that there's something off about the face. She looks a little...too well kept ya know? Polished and shiny. Some even like the freaking change and honestly, it's starting to grow on me. With that classic costume and those sunglasses - damn son.

But hey, 'fanboys' voicing their opinion on a female player model automatically means it's because they had every intention to fap to it. it's impossible that these fanboys may also be fangirls, or that, God forbid, we just want the characters we've grown with to look freaking awesome.

TL;DR: ignoring idiots works, but it's also really fun to laugh at them.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Maybe she's born with it... Maybe it's Maybelline...
... Wait, do they make creams?
They do, and she's most definitely born with it - too bad she didn't pass on that sick jawline to Cassie this time around. D:

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I don't see the issue with the article. Plenty of people have complained that Sonya isn't sexy and gorgeous like they want her to be, and so they are blaming SJWism and are saying it's because of Chicago. This was a response to those people. The women literally cited examples of what she was talking about.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Damn, people, did you saw Nicole Kidman in Aquaman ? Nicole is 51 old and surely kick some major asses on that movie ! Maybe in MK universe, makes no difference this, maybe there, on that game reality, people get old slower, and a 51 old people has energy and health equal of a 31 old person, IDK !!

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I don't see the issue with the article. Plenty of people have complained that Sonya isn't sexy and gorgeous like they want her to be, and so they are blaming SJWism and are saying it's because of Chicago. This was a response to those people. The women literally cited examples of what she was talking about.
Yep, but they cited ONE comment that blamed feminism but for a journalist...did they even bother coming here to see people's opinions? Youtube comments are a gold mine for idiots and trolls the fact that they based their argument on that is ridiculous.

I read the article. I think it actually makes some good points. Fanboys blaming femenists for Sonya not looking sexy enough are idiots.
I agree, some people are dumb, but they don't make up the majority of players and fans of the franchise. This article makes it seem that way.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Damn, people, did you saw Nicole Kidman in Aquaman ? Nicole is 51 old and surely kick some major asses on that movie ! Maybe in MK universe, makes no difference this, maybe there, on that game reality, people get old slower, and a 51 old people has energy and health equal of a 31 old person, IDK !!
Yeah, Kidman looked good, but that face in the flashback was definitely touched up. But hey I don't care either way, I like how Sonya looks right now.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yep, but they cited ONE comment that blamed feminism but for a journalist...did they even bother coming here to see people's opinions? Youtube comments are a gold mine for idiots and trolls the fact that they based their argument on that is ridiculous.

I didn't really read the article that way, sounded like it was more a response to specific set of complaints they saw. It's probably not a majority opinion, but on the other hand I've already seen multiple threads on TYM complaining about the lack of sexiness, lack of revealing costumes, and faces for Sonya, Cassie, and Skarlet. These fanboys certainly exist in the TYM community as well.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I don't know man, I don't like SJWs but linking them to veganism is too much of a stereotype.
It was only for joking purposes.

I read the article. It's very well written and I agree with what it says.
I wonder what the problem here is?

Oh.

Oh.
The problem is a real journalist would do actual research, not write a whole article based on one YouTube comment. if they want the real scoop, they should come here not freaking YT comments.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
The problem is a real journalist would do actual research, not write a whole article based on one YouTube comment. if they want the real scoop, they should come here not freaking YT comments.
Actually, writer's from The Mary Sue not only write informative articles, but also articles that convey the author's opinion, which one might call opinion journalism or advocacy journalism.

From the 'About' page on their website:
"We pride ourselves on being an inclusive, feminist community of people who not only love what they love but care about others who love it and have an intense passion for those who create it."

If you read the comments that inspired Princess Weekes' article, you could understand why she would be rightfully upset:
"What the heck!!! Sonya Blade looks like a transexual and Scarlet looks like an effeminate boy. Female characters are becoming more and more masculine not only in their manners, but now also in their looks. I bet some feminist scumbags are behind this as usual."

"The women don't look hot and sexy anymore… Thanks feminism."

And we've all seen this gem:
https://twitter.com/realDNAgent/status/1085993995380146176

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Actually, writer's from The Mary Sue not only write informative articles, but also articles that convey the author's opinion, which one might call opinion journalism or advocacy journalism.

From the 'About' page on their website:
"We pride ourselves on being an inclusive, feminist community of people who not only love what they love but care about others who love it and have an intense passion for those who create it."

If you read the comments that inspired Princess Weekes' article, you could understand why she would be rightfully upset:
"What the heck!!! Sonya Blade looks like a transexual and Scarlet looks like an effeminate boy. Female characters are becoming more and more masculine not only in their manners, but now also in their looks. I bet some feminist scumbags are behind this as usual."

"The women don't look hot and sexy anymore… Thanks feminism."

And we've all seen this gem:
https://twitter.com/realDNAgent/status/1085993995380146176
You say informative, all I see is one-sided arguments blowings things way out of proportion. Sure, some people jump the gun and scream feminism a bit too quick these days and I've seen it happen to things like Captain Marvel and it's annoying, but what's also freaking ridiculous is when they ALWAYS bring out the 'because you can't fap to it' argument. I'm sorry, but most people probably don't, we just want our fave characters to look great. Some people will go overboard sure, some people are idiots we know this, but The Mary Sue is infamous for always showing one side of the story, whatever their well-written front page says. And that's not journalism, it's just a disgruntled person's opinion.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Somebody explain to me what feminism has to do with a soldier looking like a soldier?
I mean, historically she's been dressed as a 80s fitness queen (MK1), a 90s fitness queen (MK3) and then as various levels of military fetish stripper hoochie.

I do not advocate desexualisation, I prefer fantasy characters to be attractive and sexy instead of looking like everyday people.

But we need to accept that the main direction MK is taking since MKX is gritty, dark realism. I really dislike the way Skarlet looks in the previews.

Note that there is going to be high amounts of customisation. Using the Injustice 2 engine and assets to churn out a game of high quality, they are giving us something great. The ability to dress your Sonya as possibly any of the above.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
To me there isn’t anything wrong with the article. While it is kinda unnecessary because most sensible people wouldn’t disagree, it feels like preaching to the choir. I think Sonya looks good and young Sonya looks really pretty

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Somebody explain to me what feminism has to do with a soldier looking like a soldier?
I mean, historically she's been dressed as a 80s fitness queen (MK1), a 90s fitness queen (MK3) and then as various levels of military fetish stripper hoochie.

I do not advocate desexualisation, I prefer fantasy characters to be attractive and sexy instead of looking like everyday people.

But we need to accept that the main direction MK is taking since MKX is gritty, dark realism. I really dislike the way Skarlet looks in the previews.

Note that there is going to be high amounts of customisation. Using the Injustice 2 engine and assets to churn out a game of high quality, they are giving us something great. The ability to dress your Sonya as possibly any of the above.
Remember the satanic panic for DnD in the 80's and early 90's? In 2019 it's the feminist panic and they blame everything on that, even when it's not the case. I get it, feminism ruined a lot of things and made us jittery like Krav Maga black belts, but ignoring the trolls is probably for the best. The Mary Sue though, they never ignore them and then they blow an idiot's comment way out of proportion and generalizes it to the entire community and it's just as dumb as the ignorant person's comment.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
feminism ruined a lot of things
To be fair, it's not feminism that's the problem. It's people who think feminism means something it's not, on both sides.

The main pillar feminism was built on was that women should have equal rights to men. Not that women should be treated better and men should be squashed into the ground. That's, sadly, what people have associated it with now though, because there are some "feminists" who have muddied what the ideology is all about, which in turn has turned people against it.

I don't mean to turn this into a political discussion (too late, I know, sorry), I just think don't like what people have turned this term into. Because in its core, it has nothing to do with what people associate it with today.