What's new

Third Variation - Jade

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
With Boon's tweet that the plan is still in place to give each character a third variation, I wanted to start a discussion on what Jade's third variation may end up being.

What we have so far
Emerald Defender
: focused on zoning entirely, ED uses nothing but extra projectiles.
  • (Air) Razor-Rang
  • Upward Razor-Rang
  • Edenian Spark
Jaded: a stagger pressure variation where all the bonus abilities are combined into Pole Vault for a lot of options off the one move.
  • Pole Vault
  • Pole Vault Cancel
  • Amplify Blazing Nitro Kick
Assuming that there will be no overlapping abilities between variations, that leaves Jade with 4 remaining options for the final variation.
  • Delia's Dance (low attack)
  • Divine Forces (reflect - replaces Glow)
  • Vanishing Winds (low attack, teleports on enhance)
  • Deadly Assassin (extra combo strings, enhances sweep)
So we have two variations with entirely different game plan focuses. What else is there for Jade to focus on? In my opinion, her third focus will be her staff. The combination of Delia's Dance, Vanishing Winds, and Deadly Assassin practically makes itself. What do you all think?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Deadly Assassin is a lock. Three of the coolest strings this character has aren't in tournament mode.

I kind want to see what the reflect(Divine Forces) is about. It's one of those moves where in the beta(where I played a lot of kustoms with Jade) I was never going to lose glow for a projectile reflect, but if it's in a tournament variation then maybe it can work. Anyone use that one alot? I also wonder about her having the teleport and glow in the same loadout, would that be too good? Delia's Dance is awesome. So my pick would be:
  • Deadly Assassin
  • Delia's Dance
  • Divine Forces
Call it Pole Dancer

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Divine Forces, in its current state, is VERY bad. It's very slow on startup so reflecting things on reaction is difficult unless you're literally full screen away. On top of this, it replaces Glow which is terrible.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Agreed on locked in Deadly Assassin. If Jaded is rushdown/close range and ED is full zoning, then a Deadly Ass. variation would be her midrange focused variation.

I'm calling:
  1. Deadly Assassin
  2. Delia's Dance
  3. Divide Forces
Divine Forces is trash, but we aren't getting a metered teleport and glow in one build lol.

Also they all begin with D. We can say this is DDD Jade. Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited:
Deadly Assassin is good but not amazing. Once the learn the B2 extended combo its very easy to hit her during the gap. The double sweep is nice. 432 combo is ok.......322D1 combo is just ok also......both start with a high so......
Delia's Dance I hate......I would much rather have Spark and be able to use up close AND at a distance
Divine Forces........ Garbage......Double projectiles hit her and some projectiles like Shao just fly away and don't hit the opponent at all. Glow is way better.
Vanishing winds.......Total garbage......terrible range and you have to use meter to get the slow teleport that brings you up close? Jade is BAD up close....why would you want to lose meter and place yourself right next to them? I would rather have spark then this as well.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Deadly Assassin is good but not amazing. Once the learn the B2 extended combo its very easy to hit her during the gap. The double sweep is nice. 432 combo is ok.......322D1 combo is just ok also......both start with a high so......
Delia's Dance I hate......I would much rather have Spark and be able to use up close AND at a distance
Divine Forces........ Garbage......Double projectiles hit her and some projectiles like Shao just fly away and don't hit the opponent at all. Glow is way better.
Vanishing winds.......Total garbage......terrible range and you have to use meter to get the slow teleport that brings you up close? Jade is BAD up close....why would you want to lose meter and place yourself right next to them? I would rather have spark then this as well.
Then.. just play Emerald Defender? Boon confirmed that a third variation is coming and these 4 moves are the only ones not represented yet.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She'll get Deadly Assassin and two useless unrelated things that will ensure that Deadly Assassin stands as much of a chance as the other two variations, or a bit less.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Deadly Assassin is why I fell in love with Jade during the beta. It NEEDS to be in her third variation and Delia Dance is actually very underrated as a safe low option.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
If we're choosing abilities she's not using in a variation yet, I'd like for the third one to use Deadly Assassin, Delia's Dance and Vanishing Winds.

Overall though, I think Deadly Alliance should be completely scrapped as an ability and just be in her general moveset, as without it she's losing too much to be worth not having, imo.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
My suggestion has always been: Delia's dance, vanishing winds and Deadly Assassin if there is to be a third variation with moves not currently in effect. Delia's dance gives Jade safe, high damaging chip for a bar.

People mentioning glow with vanishing winds would be too strong, but here's the tea on vanishing winds: She can only teleport with a bar of meter, she often can be hit out of it in its current form. It leads to no damage on hit, just a knockdown.

Delia's dance is -13 without amp, but -7 with amplify so there's legitimate investment there.

Deadly Assassin strings would become super potent when combined with Delia's dance and Vanishing winds.

That set compliments the way Jade would like to play the most I think of what is left as it gives her ranged harassment safely and amplifies her counter zoning so she can be aggressive but also be a spacing and counter zoning monster.

Her reflect I hope never gets in a variation as it seems to be inferior to glow in almost every way.

Crimea

Noob
Dead ass + reflect + either DD or VW (they are too similar upclose)

Who's gonna trade air razor-rangs and glow for this? At least remove huge gaps in dead.ass.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Dead ass + reflect + either DD or VW (they are too similar upclose)

Who's gonna trade air razor-rangs and glow for this? At least remove huge gaps in dead.ass.
No one, but I doubt NRS would release third variations without balance changes to those new variation moves.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
My suggestion has always been: Delia's dance, vanishing winds and Deadly Assassin if there is to be a third variation with moves not currently in effect. Delia's dance gives Jade safe, high damaging chip for a bar.

People mentioning glow with vanishing winds would be too strong, but here's the tea on vanishing winds: She can only teleport with a bar of meter, she often can be hit out of it in its current form. It leads to no damage on hit, just a knockdown.

Delia's dance is -13 without amp, but -7 with amplify so there's legitimate investment there.

Deadly Assassin strings would become super potent when combined with Delia's dance and Vanishing winds.

That set compliments the way Jade would like to play the most I think of what is left as it gives her ranged harassment safely and amplifies her counter zoning so she can be aggressive but also be a spacing and counter zoning monster.

Her reflect I hope never gets in a variation as it seems to be inferior to glow in almost every way.
I love how even a pressure move is negative as all hell lmfao
Why does nrs hate jade

Monarchos159

BALANCED
Yeah I'm thinking some of these other abilities will get changes/nerfs/buffs before getting added to a tournament variation to keep them in line. i cant see any combination of the remaining abilities being anywhere near as good as emerald or jaded as is.

but with NRS, you never really know i guess.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Yeah I'm thinking some of these other abilities will get changes/nerfs/buffs before getting added to a tournament variation to keep them in line. i cant see any combination of the remaining abilities being anywhere near as good as emerald or jaded as is.

but with NRS, you never really know i guess.
And if something is not as "good" as Jaded is, you know we're talking Kano level lol

Parasurama

Dragon
With Boon's tweet that the plan is still in place to give each character a third variation, I wanted to start a discussion on what Jade's third variation may end up being.

What we have so far
Emerald Defender
: focused on zoning entirely, ED uses nothing but extra projectiles.
  • (Air) Razor-Rang
  • Upward Razor-Rang
  • Edenian Spark
Jaded: a stagger pressure variation where all the bonus abilities are combined into Pole Vault for a lot of options off the one move.
  • Pole Vault
  • Pole Vault Cancel
  • Amplify Blazing Nitro Kick
Assuming that there will be no overlapping abilities between variations, that leaves Jade with 4 remaining options for the final variation.
  • Delia's Dance (low attack)
  • Divine Forces (reflect - replaces Glow)
  • Vanishing Winds (low attack, teleports on enhance)
  • Deadly Assassin (extra combo strings, enhances sweep)
So we have two variations with entirely different game plan focuses. What else is there for Jade to focus on? In my opinion, her third focus will be her staff. The combination of Delia's Dance, Vanishing Winds, and Deadly Assassin practically makes itself. What do you all think?
I want the teleport variation.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm not even gonna get into this conversation with you cause all you do is complain about this character and it's exahusting to deal with.

I will say this. I think Jaded is fine is at the proper point of balance.
You're right.
Jade is fine.
She's the same fine as Liu, Erron, Geras, Jacqui, Sonya etc.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
@GLoRToR outta curiosity what are your stats with Jade?
In efforts to get better I snoop on high KL/ranked players kombat charts who play characters I use and there's some real bad ass jades out there man.
I do think she could use some adjustment but I don't downplay her as much as you

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@GLoRToR outta curiosity what are your stats with Jade?
In efforts to get better I snoop on high KL/ranked players kombat charts who play characters I use and there's some real bad ass jades out there man.
I do think she could use some adjustment but I don't downplay her as much as you
I'm a scrub, I'm bad, and that's why I think Jade has shit frame data. I'm actually wrong about everything I say. Always.