What's new

They're after our Sonya

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Don't nerf Sonya. Honestly, you shouldn't nerf PERFECTION and SUCCESS. For players like me who can't be bothered learning dreary combos, she's ideal. She has a great arse nal. All those powerful moves! The grace! The class! The iconic Ronda vocals! Leave my Sonya alone.

#SonyaSuccessful #SuccessyaBlade
I'm here for this.

mrapchem

Noob
Coming from the perspective of someone that does not play Sonya, she is not in need of some of the drastic changes that have been suggested in this thread.

The only adjustment that she should get is for her projectile to either have slower start-up or more recovery, so that she's not so much of a threat from afar.

She's clearly designed to be scary up close, and given the fact that her only launching string starts high and is unsafe on block, it only makes sense that she would be heavily rewarded if she lands it. Her range isn't the greatest and she isn't safe on her 50/50 mix at all. Once people - including myself - learn to start consistently blocking this character along with keeping her at bay in the neutral, she will cease to be such a frightening opponent.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
sure they are .... but it's only fair if they tone down and nerf too some others fellows characters that are OP as well (if not more) ..... heard that , Erron Black and Geras ? ;) :p

A Sonya player who gives detailed info is honest enough to know that Sonya needs a nerf. Hard evidence shown in the video. Kudos to the youtuber who is straight to the point.

Sonya mains should be grateful that her air grab move is able to launch for a further kombo when amplified, which is something that can't be done when Sonya was first showcased during the reveal event in January (unless it was a Krushing Blow).
Lol the bias... if sonya couldn’t launch she would have no combo and she would literally be tragic. Why be grateful when we just simply wouldn’t play her? While you’re at it, take away errons launch then and noobs.

Coming from the perspective of someone that does not play Sonya, she is not in need of some of the drastic changes that have been suggested in this thread.

The only adjustment that she should get is for her projectile to either have slower start-up or more recovery, so that she's not so much of a threat from afar.

She's clearly designed to be scary up close, and given the fact that her only launching string starts high and is unsafe on block, it only makes sense that she would be heavily rewarded if she lands it. Her range isn't the greatest and she isn't safe on her 50/50 mix at all. Once people - including myself - learn to start consistently blocking this character along with keeping her at bay in the neutral, she will cease to be such a frightening opponent.
Perfectly said.

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
I'm a Jacqui main... so if they nerf Sonya... then the people will start looking for the next high damage characters to be nerfed like Baraka & Jacqui...

Therefore, leave Sonya alone. :)

Lol the bias... if sonya couldn’t launch she would have no combo and she would literally be tragic. Why be grateful when we just simply wouldn’t play her? While you’re at it, take away errons launch then and noobs.
Sonya has

1) Insane damage output. Don't deny it. If you had watched the video, then you would see that Sonya can deal up to 33% in a single combo without even using the launcher, METERLESS. With her launcher, she can deal even more damage. I don't think that kind of damage output is fair to other characters, who right now cannot even reach 33% even when spending a bar of meter. Same goes for erron and geras. The damage scaling should be greater, at least for these three characters. The evidence is already there.

2) Mix-ups (OVERHEADs and LOWs in her kombo strings + Leg Breaker LOW kombo ender), her energy ring zoning (fast startup, fast projectile speed, can even be cast mid-air, Krushing Blow), and lastly abundance of special moves (projectiles, air grab that launches when amplified, Ass Whoopin' kombo ender). And these are all from just DEFAULT Sonya.

3) Through variations she can get even more options, including more tech for her energy rings and an OVERHEAD turret drop in one variation, or another Anti-Air Grab as well as standing/crouching Parries in her other variation.

This is why Sonya is highly favored in tournaments. She may not have the mobility of dash attacks or teleportation, she has the damage, reliable zoning with her rings and turret drop, mix-ups and abundance of special moves for a wide range of gameplay style. Her kit has almost everything. Therefore, at least one change will do:

1) increase the damage scaling for Sonya's combos. Simple changes like 30 to 20, some 50 to 30, will defnitely do. Applies to Geras and erron as well.

2) remove the launcher tech (the aquaman treatment from injustice2) Make it only launch when its a krushing blow. Without it, Sonya is still a dangerous threat up close with her kombos, mix-ups and parries, and also a threat from afar with her energy rings and turret drop as well.

3) NRS can at least have the courtesy to modify the variations of characters such that they can contest with Sony more fairly in terms of damage and utility. But this change would be highly improbable, since players are already learning how to play against respective variations of characters, and changing them would mean players have to start all over again.

Finally, stop trying to always divert the attention of nerfing to other characters, we are talking about Sonya here. Don't worry, the other characters (eg. Geras) have their own discussion threads, and will definitely be tweaked as well together with Sonya.

To anyone else, please watch the video first before commenting. Don't go defending Sonya by trying to divert attention to other characters who are also in need of a nerf like Geras/Erron.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

How are you going to learn to start consistently blocking 50/50s bud... you just blew my mind. Teach me and I’ll be Evo champ no problem this year

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
But if it makes you guys feel better, I would much rather just have the lower tier significantly buffed than drastically nerfing sonya.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Are people still downplaying Sonya because her combo starter is a high? LOL. Use F3 and F4, her safe advancing mids. Don’t give me that bullshit it doesn’t lauch for combo argument, lots of characters rely on mids that don’t launch. F4 is MAD underrated and underused in the neutral. You should always input the 1+3 2222 after, as it does huge damage. And it doesn’t come out on block, keeping her safe. you can also use F4 leg grab MB if they block high a lot, and get 300+ DMG. F3 hops over lows and low pokes, people shouldn’t complain about her struggling in the poking war. Y’all play her like her only string are her B1 strings.

There is absolutely NO reason for her projectile to be as strong as it is. it should have recovery and startup increased. Her damage could be toned down a little too, especially her meterless damage.

Her energy rings cancel should be toned down too, and don’t give me the “its hard to do so keep it” argument, execution should NEVER warrant an OP move (Kabal did this in MK9 and it was horrible for the game even though it was high execution.

This is all coming from someone who mains Sonya and plays her RELEGIOUSLY.

Sonya has

1) Insane damage output. Don't deny it. If you had watched the video, then you would see that Sonya can deal up to 33% in a single combo without even using the launcher, METERLESS. With her launcher, she can deal even more damage. I don't think that kind of damage output is fair to other characters, who right now cannot even reach 33% even when spending a bar of meter. Same goes for erron and geras. The damage scaling should be greater, at least for these three characters. The evidence is already there.

2) Mix-ups (OVERHEADs and LOWs in her kombo strings + Leg Breaker LOW kombo ender), her energy ring zoning (fast startup, fast projectile speed, can even be cast mid-air, Krushing Blow), and lastly abundance of special moves (projectiles, air grab that launches when amplified, Ass Whoopin' kombo ender). And these are all from just DEFAULT Sonya.

3) Through variations she can get even more options, including more tech for her energy rings and an OVERHEAD turret drop in one variation, or another Anti-Air Grab as well as standing/crouching Parries in her other variation.

This is why Sonya is highly favored in tournaments. She may not have the mobility of dash attacks or teleportation, she has the damage, reliable zoning with her rings and turret drop, mix-ups and abundance of special moves for a wide range of gameplay style. Her kit has almost everything. Therefore, at least one change will do:

1) increase the damage scaling for Sonya's combos. Simple changes like 30 to 20, some 50 to 30, will defnitely do. Applies to Geras and erron as well.

2) remove the launcher tech (the aquaman treatment from injustice2) Make it only launch when its a krushing blow. Without it, Sonya is still a dangerous threat up close with her kombos, mix-ups and parries, and also a threat from afar with her energy rings and turret drop as well.

3) NRS can at least have the courtesy to modify the variations of characters such that they can contest with Sony more fairly in terms of damage and utility. But this change would be highly improbable, since players are already learning how to play against respective variations of characters, and changing them would mean players have to start all over again.

Finally, stop trying to always divert the attention of nerfing to other characters, we are talking about Sonya here. Don't worry, the other characters (eg. Geras) have their own discussion threads, and will definitely be tweaked as well together with Sonya.

To anyone else, please watch the video first before commenting. Don't go defending Sonya by trying to divert attention to other characters who are also in need of a nerf like Geras/Erron.
Sorry I just don’t agree. Removing her launcher would kill this character, she’s meant to be in your face comboing.
Her low energy ring cancel takes skill, barley ever used in regular matches.
Only thing should be nerfed is her projectile zoning imo. Needs more recovery.

Sorry I just don’t agree. Removing her launcher would kill this character, she’s meant to be in your face comboing.
Her low energy ring cancel takes skill, barley ever used in regular matches.
Only thing should be nerfed is her projectile zoning imo. Needs more recovery.
You are right, perhaps a complete change to Sonya's air launcher would be too much. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of NRS nerfing this aspect, since NRS did it to Aquaman in IJ2 (who had one of the highest dmg potential at the time), and given that Sonya is also one of the most damaging characters in Mk11.

If Sonya is meant to be a rushdown character, then her current projectiles has to be nerfed then, perhaps with more recovery like you mentioned, or maybe her amplified energy ring becoming a high (like kitana/liu kang), or even increasing the start-up of her projectiles. Not too drastic, but it will do.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
You are right, perhaps a complete change to Sonya's air launcher would be too much. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of NRS nerfing this aspect, since NRS did it to Aquaman in IJ2 (who had one of the highest dmg potential at the time), and given that Sonya is also one of the most damaging characters in Mk11.

If Sonya is meant to be a rushdown character, then her current projectiles has to be nerfed then, perhaps with more recovery like you mentioned, or maybe her amplified energy ring becoming a high (like kitana/liu kang), or even increasing the start-up of her projectiles. Not too drastic, but it will do.

Yeah and then they gave it back to him because someone finally realized, aqua man literally only has trident rush now.

She should get the black adam treatment with damage reduction and projectile nerf. That's it. I don't want a deadshot is useless disaster all over again.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Nerf her projectile and scale her damage back because she does way too much damage in a game where barely hitting 30% for BnBs are the norm

wired

Noob
I honestly just think the amount of damage she does is alarming
As a Sonya player, this is totally true and the biggest change I'd suggest. There are rounds I'm getting outplayed for a large portion of it, then get a stray hit and take off half their life with a combo ending in fatal blow. I can't blame any opponent for being salty.

I dont know how sonya works , i only know that she can 50/50 into combo and if that happens twice , im dead. If u have a 50/50 character that can combo off of it , make it so that he needs to guess 4-5 times to kill someone. not 2-3.(long story short , reduce dmg )

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I dont know how sonya works , i only know that she can 50/50 into combo and if that happens twice , im dead. If u have a 50/50 character that can combo off of it , make it so that he needs to guess 4-5 times to kill someone. not 2-3.(long story short , reduce dmg )
Among other things. It makes no sense that a character this scary up close has one of the best zonings in the game either.