What's new

They're after our Sonya

Wigy

There it is...
Also people saying she has no mids so it's fine.

The lack of mids is the trade for her mix. Still doesn't account for the zoning and stupid damage

He has decent pokes and there are characters that have waaay less strong tools and worse pokes (frost)

Parasurama

Dragon
Nerf the zoning, why does she have one of the best projectiles, best mix, ok footsies, very good damage???? Nerf zoning. Keep a rushdown Queen.

Dedlock

Noob
All she needs is a damage reduction imo. That overhead combo should top off at 28%
I agree with this damage scaling on b1,2,3. Thats it, let her keep the gifts she's been given in this game. For the first time in mk history her energy rings are actually very cool and deadly.

If they do hit her hard with the nerfing then they've got to speed her up B2,3 and give her another launcher preferably bringing her back her khartwheel. Also her leg grab should be brought back as a command grab.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I agree with this damage scaling on b1,2,3. Thats it, let her keep the gifts she's been given in this game. For the first time in mk history her energy rings are actually very cool and deadly.

If they do hit her hard with the nerfing then they've got to speed her up B2,3 and give her another launcher preferably bringing her back her khartwheel. Also her leg grab should be brought back as a command grab.
Lol Stop.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

I think you’re confused, you’re talking about buffs. Even without rings at all, she’d still be a top tier character.

Rings should be an occasional full screen check or AMP cancel, but shouldn’t lock out true zoners. Adjust her damage, add more recovery to rings. Her risk/ reward seems fine otherwise.

I've come across alot of posts rabidly demanding Sonya get nerfed.

Specifically targeting her damage output, her overhead low mix up and her energy rings.

I'm dreading netherrealm guts her in the next patch because thats their answer for everything.

Hopefully the dont nerf her , I dont feel like she's overpowered/ broken in this game. Her strings are very predictable. Just one combo that launches. She has no variety in strings , lacking good normals and her jump is very awkward no dive kick.

If they do nerf her then they have to give us her military stance overhead khartwheel back to insert it into her strings and give us more options.
Agreed she doesn’t need a nerf and no one can even energy ring combo, if so it takes skill. Unlike scorpion and Geras’ damage.

Sonya has no movement or advance mobility she needs her damage and works for it. Her strings are predictable and punishable hugely mid screen.

Edit that posts because it reads so differently lol.

Though that's not the reason why it's difficult for zoners to zone Sonya, it's just one of the many multiple reasons why it's stupid. Her godlike offense (which is expected of Sonya anyway) shouldn't be supplemented with the best projectile in the game. That's how you create imbalance.
If you gut her projectile then give her divekick back as her projectile is her only way of literally getting in on some characters as she can pressure while walking.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If you gut her projectile then give her divekick back as her projectile is her only way of literally getting in on some characters as she can pressure while walking.
No, she has one of the best wave dashes in the game to get in, and no the best mixup+damage character doesn't need the best projectile in the game. Jacqui doesn't even HAVE a projectile, with an equally high level offense and is top 5-ish..

Some of you guys sound fraudulent, and just want an uber top tier.

No, she has one of the best wave dashes in the game to get in, and no the best mixup+damage character doesn't need the best projectile in the game. Jacqui doesn't even HAVE a projectile, with an equally high level offense and is top 5-ish..

Some of you guys sound fraudulent, and just want an uber top tier.
Jaqui can launch with a special and has movement ability which goes half way across the screen, she does not need a projectile...

Sonya only launch is a high starter which she can be poked out of and blocked for an easy punish. Her low starter is inconsistent, especially with casuals and I’m not even sure we saw it in the tournament.

Also is wavedash even intended ? It’ll probs be fixed somehow if not. Even so, wave dashing again takes ‘skill’. She is not brain dead and there are far easier characters who get stupid damage.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Jaqui can launch with a special and has movement ability which goes half way across the screen, she does not need a projectile...

Sonya only launch is a high starter which she can be poked out of and blocked for an easy punish. Her low starter is inconsistent, especially with casuals and I’m not even sure we saw it in the tournament.

Also is wavedash even intended ? It’ll probs be fixed somehow if not.
Sonya can also launch with a special, midscreen, for 40%, and has a KB that takes 30% alone if they are hit blocking high. She also has 50% damage in the corner off of BOTH 50/50s. With wall carry that goes from midscreen to corner in ONE combo. Her ring cancel is easy to do, it took all of ten minutes and I haven't played her in two weeks. I can post a video right now doing it 10x in a row. She can jail her high string from D3, forcing you to hold it midscreen, which again is one of the best D3s in the game. Have you played other characters and compared tools? Do you really want to minimize Sonya's offense in this game? Because it's Top 3, at worst.

But to a few of you, that top 3 offense shouldn't be touched, and she should also keep the best projectile in the game, because if not she'll be "ruined". Other character forums would die to be as ruined as Sonya would be.

Sonya can also launch with a special, midscreen, for 40%, and has a KB that takes 30% alone if they are hit blocking high. She also has 50% damage in the corner off of BOTH 50/50s. With wall carry that goes from midscreen to corner in ONE combo. Her ring cancel is easy to do, it took all of ten minutes and I haven't played her in two weeks. I can post a video right now doing it 10x in a row. She can jail her high string from D3, forcing you to hold it midscreen, which again is one of the best D3s in the game. Have you played other characters and compared tools? Do you really want to minimize Sonya's offense in this game? Because it's Top 3, at worst.

But to a few of you, that top 3 offense shouldn't be touched, and she should also keep the best projectile in the game, because if not she'll be "ruined". Other character forums would die to be as ruined as Sonya would be.
No Sonya has ever ring cancelled successfully against me online yet and still I didn’t see it used once in the tournament. Sonya special launch only launches after she gets them airborne and she has only one string to do that.

I’ve played many of the characters and I never said she’s bad, she’s strong and I could see minor nerfs. I just don’t agree with her being the most op in the game or ‘brain dead’ as people claim, there’s stronger imo and easier characters to use.

It’s also dumb when people say top tier rush down as she has no rush down moves except a wave dash which will probs be patched and other characters can do it too whilst being a hell lot safer.

Down 2

Noob
Top tier damage
Top tier rushdown
Top tier zoning

Can't wait to see the nerfs :)
After playing more and more against Sonya im starting to feel this 100%. She has no weaknesses and excels at every part of the game. Little things like her walk back speed and wonky female hurtbox just really irritate me when she does everything else so well.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
No Sonya has ever ring cancelled successfully against me online yet and still I didn’t see it used once in the tournament. Sonya special launch only launches after she gets them airborne and she has only one string to do that.

I’ve played many of the characters and I never said she’s bad, she’s strong and I could see minor nerfs. I just don’t agree with her being the most op in the game or ‘brain dead’ as people claim, there’s stronger imo and easier characters to use.

It’s also dumb when people say top tier rush down as she has no rush down moves except a wave dash which will probs be patched and other characters can do it too whilst being a hell lot safer.
Cooscos hit the ring cancel twice if I remember correct. I play Deg fairly often who is probably a Top 10 Sonya user, for long sets and he hits the ring cancels any time he lands the low in the corner. If you're playing Sonya players who aren't capable of doing it that's another story, but shouldn't be regarded in a conversation of balance.

Who are all these "stronger than Sonya" characters though???? Geras? Erron Black LOL. I mean if all we can say is "Geras is better" that's an issue in itself no? No rational person is looking at her toolset saying it's balanced in comparison to the cast. Hell Sonic placed her at #1 in the game ahead of Geras. Reality has to hit at some point. You can't remove everything, but the insane damage, the KB damage, the best projectile in the game, the Godlike buttons and frames, SOMEthing has to give to align the Character to the rest of the game. Otherwise Combo Breaker with high representation and winning the Finals is just the start.

As far as the Wavedashing, it's MK9-esque so I'm inclined to believe it will stay. People tend to be in support of it and are applying it more and more.

I dunno man. This sounds like the Quan Chi MKX "he needs it" people, or the "MMH only has one person winning he isn't that strong" crew lol. She doesn't need to be the best at everything to compete, it just makes it easier and dumber in the context of the overall game.

Cooscos hit the ring cancel twice if I remember correct. I play Deg fairly often who is probably a Top 10 Sonya user, for long sets and he hits the ring cancels any time he lands the low in the corner. If you're playing Sonya players who aren't capable of doing it that's another story, but shouldn't be regarded in a conversation of balance.

Who are all these "stronger than Sonya" characters though???? Geras? Erron Black LOL. I mean if all we can say is "Geras is better" that's an issue in itself no? No rational person is looking at her toolset saying it's balanced in comparison to the cast. Hell Sonic placed her at #1 in the game ahead of Geras. Reality has to hit at some point. You can't remove everything, but the insane damage, the KB damage, the best projectile in the game, the Godlike buttons and frames, SOMEthing has to give to align the Character to the rest of the game. Otherwise Combo Breaker with high representation and winning the Finals is just the start.

As far as the Wavedashing, it's MK9-esque so I'm inclined to believe it will stay. People tend to be in support of it and are applying it more and more.

I dunno man. This sounds like the Quan Chi MKX "he needs it" people, or the "MMH only has one person winning he isn't that strong" crew lol. She doesn't need to be the best at everything to compete, it just makes it easier and dumber in the context of the overall game.
I said she could do with a nerf but no where near the level people are exaggerating imo. She’s still unsafe on her launch and wave dashing and cancelling is only used by skilled players. I’d much rather they take her cancel and nerf her projectile. But people would still complain because noone even uses her ring cancel online. People just love to moan about it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I said she could do with a nerf but no where near the level people are exaggerating imo. She’s still unsafe on her launch and wave dashing and cancelling is only used by skilled players. I’d much rather they take her cancel and nerf her projectile. But people would still complain because noone even uses her ring cancel online. People just love to moan about it.
What would be your suggestions on how to handle a nerf?

What would be your suggestions on how to handle a nerf?
I think her projectiles could do with a nerf and her ring cancel shouldn’t be a thing imo, though it takes skill to do. I would rather they get nerfed than her mid screen damage. As her combo isn’t the easiest to even start as it’s a high. After those nerfs i don’t see her being the strongest in the game. As I don’t see it now anyway. Maybe because I play her so much I know how to fight her. But I’ve versed a lot of Sonya on ranked and because of how unsafe she is, I’ve never struggled like I have Geras , scorpion tele cancel etc.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think her projectiles could do with a nerf and her ring cancel shouldn’t be a thing imo, though it takes skill to do. I would rather they get nerfed than her mid screen damage. As her combo isn’t the easiest to even start as it’s a high. After those nerfs i don’t see her being the strongest in the game. As I don’t see it now anyway. Maybe because I play her so much I know how to fight her. But I’ve versed a lot of Sonya on ranked and because of how unsafe she is, I’ve never struggled like I have Geras , scorpion tele cancel etc.
Lol the irony in suggesting the same thing. My changes to her would be--

-If you compare other characters projectiles, I almost feel hers is a glitch. I mean it has about zero recovery, almost pre-patch Deadshot levels of shooting away. I would say something like Frost's projectile startup/recovery is more fitting. An anti-zoning check rather than godlike zoning utility.

-Slight damage nerf for corner damage, keep the ring cancel for 50/50s in the corner. 50% damage for both options is MKX not MK11. Make one 35% and the other 40% since you have to guess on the 50/50.

That's it. All I would change. No way butchering the character, just making her a little less stupid. She'd still easily be top 10, top 5 even, just not "let me go play Sonya to win" levels of good.

A Sonya player who gives detailed info is honest enough to know that Sonya needs a nerf. Hard evidence shown in the video. Kudos to the youtuber who is straight to the point.

Sonya mains should be grateful that her air grab move is able to launch for a further kombo when amplified, which is something that can't be done when Sonya was first showcased during the reveal event in January (unless it was a Krushing Blow).

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Don't nerf Sonya. Honestly, you shouldn't nerf PERFECTION and SUCCESS. For players like me who can't be bothered learning dreary combos, she's ideal. She has a great arse nal. All those powerful moves! The grace! The class! The iconic Ronda vocals! Leave my Sonya alone.

#SonyaSuccessful #SuccessyaBlade