What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Since Liu, Kung Lao and Jax were on this week, I'm gonna guess that this week's Kombat Kast will be a showcase for zoners. Cetrion pretty much seems like a given, and I'm gonna guess that Kitana will be on there as well, and possibly Noob.
That's a good point actually, didn't think of that but makes sense. I swear after that Liu/Lao/Jax demo some of us almost threw in the white flag, but this next Kast might run on Rushdown Tears Electricity. A new power-source being tested by NRS.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
That's a good point actually, didn't think of that but makes sense. I swear after that Liu/Lao/Jax demo some of us almost threw in the white flag, but this next Kast might run on Rushdown Tears Electricity. A new power-source being tested by NRS.
It should be that way for you guys. Even as someone who primarily focuses on rushdown, I've got no issues with zoners, you guys should get a showcase of your own.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Sup scrubs. Erron Black was demonstrated on today’s KK and was confirmed “ the thinking man’s zoner.” Unlike all your guys’ characters. My zoning inherently takes more skills than any of yours.

Therefore I suggest a new thread called the “thinking man’s zoning academy” is created and only Erron players allowed and none of your braindead character’s zoning allowed lul

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Kollector has pretty unconventional zoning in his base kit by NRS standards but he will definitely be playing a space control/keep away game style. I'm home.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Spammer fools likes you ruin it for thinking zoner’s like us.
Zoning Masters and Thinking Zoners must not fight! Rush down fools are the enemy!

In all seriousness, Cetrion appears to have the most zoning potential, but I am learning the game with Noob. Did EX teleport not pop up for a combo? Is the shadow slide full screen?

KRYS9984

Noob
Zoning Masters and Thinking Zoners must not fight! Rush down fools are the enemy!

In all seriousness, Cetrion appears to have the most zoning potential, but I am learning the game with Noob. Did EX teleport not pop up for a combo? Is the shadow slide full screen?
The regular and amplified version did not launch in the basic tool kit which leads me to believe that it might be gear.

It also appears that his low sliding shadow is gear but travel a shorter distance than full screen (possibly half).

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069

Who knows what to believe. You can only trust the base specials. Not even the beta presets are competitive variations.

I hope they skip the slot system, which feels more like a party mode random special fiesta anyway, for competitive. Focus on creating “complete” characters with a vision instead of trying to fill a quota of special moves. Otherwise I’ll see you in casual matches bro lul

Last edited:

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
cant wait to use some Death Wish / Charles Bronson , Erron Black Variation to DEMOLISH some scrubs

ARMY OF ONE

Oh and NightWolf DLC to make this pic comes true

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I don't get why some are hating on legit zoners? I'm not a zoner at all but I have used a few characters in that playstyle: Mileena, Kenshi mainly but I'm a rushdown player.

Zoning isn't spamming, the scrubs we see online using 2 or 3 projectiles all match are nothing close to zoners. Zoning is space control meaning using your moves to control your opponent and these characters usually don't have good close up tools which forces them to be creative. It can be done with normals that that push opponent midscreen/full screen or combos cut off that send the opponent away, yes projectiles are a huge tool used in zoning but they are based off reads. All of the projectiles have workarounds which allow rushdown characters to avoid them and get in.

REYTHEGREAT

Cetrion has potential to be a good diner but her start up on all her zoning related moves are really bad. I can see her having a lot of bad match ups. I could be wrong.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong

It seems like EX Teleport and the move seen in Noob's reveal trailer aren't the same. I'm sure the Noob Saiboys have already been over this in their thread, but the animations are completely different: EX Teleport has Noob go through the portal with the opponent multiple times (like MK9), whereas the pop up portal move had the opponent going through the portal multiple times by their lonesome while Noob waited to pounce.

Guessing the pop-up will be a variation move, either a new move that potentially replaces teleport or simply an option that upgrades teleport's amplify.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I just remembered that they said one of Cetrion's zone buffs is wind and it pushes people out of it, that could be crazy good as a zoning tool, depening on the actual function of it.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I just remembered that they said one of Cetrion's zone buffs is wind and it pushes people out of it, that could be crazy good as a zoning tool, depening on the actual function of it.
I do not recall them showcasing it at all, just mentioned...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Guessing the pop-up will be a variation move, either a new move that potentially replaces teleport or simply an option that upgrades teleport's amplify.
Yeah. Good prediction. I am also wondering if the shadow dive kick is a base special move.

Erron black has a ranged fatal and ground traps. That's really cool, if his slide anti airs again he is going to be pretty well rounded zoning. Plus he can cancel out other zoning possibly.

Cetrion looks crazy but who knows what will be usable. She definitely looks like a projectile powerhouse on the video.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah. Good prediction. I am also wondering if the shadow dive kick is a base special move.
Nah, it was added to the "classic variation". The Base specials were-

-Regular Tele
-Clone Run Tackle
-AA Up Clone

The "classic" variation 16Bit created added the Low Slide Clone which went about half screen distance before it fades, the Ghost Ball which removes one each of opponents Special and Defense meter while also being an unblockable move, and the DiveKick clone. Hopefully this ends up an actual variation because that sounds pretty solid on paper.