What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Introduction

Ladies and gentlemen, I may be old, washed up, and grumpy, but zoning aficionados all over the world grant me the honor and privilege to create this historic and influential thread every two years. While Mortal Kombat 11 is set to be released on the 23rd of April, in the meantime please use this thread to discuss the new gameplay mechanics and characters reveals.

Zoning Potential in Mortal Kombat 11

Early impressions of Mortal Kombat 11 suggest that the pace of the game is similar to Mortal Kombat 9's, which benefits zoning. Even better, the running mechanic has been removed so your opponents is unable to crouch your projectile and run across the screen to close the distance easily. However, some people argue that the revamped meter system no longer favors zoning characters. Speaking of the meter system, there are two bars for offense and defense respectively.

The meter generates automatically so that characters no longer build any meter while zoning. Likewise, characters no longer build any meter while rushing down either. The game’s new gameplay elements are fatal blows (the X-Ray moves of the game), krushing blows (a normal or special move that prompts “X-Ray mode” after certain requirements are satisfied), and flawless blocking (pressing the block button within a three frame window of an attack, including a projectile). Only time will tell what effects these gameplay mechanics will have on zoning.

Objectives of the Zoning Academy

1. Use zoning-based characters as primary characters.

2. Protect zoning from anti-zoning zealots, casual gamers, and scrubs, of which there are contemporarily a plethora on TYM.

3. Demand buffs to zoning strategies if they are deemed weak.

4. Avoid using highly offensive characters who do nothing but rush down.

5. Support zoning players in offline and online tournaments.

Zoning Players Watch List

BasicS - new player with lots of zoning potential

Pig of the Hut - old school zoning master

Tweedy
- currently the best zoning player in the NRS community

Wound Cowboy - old school zoning and footsies master

More players to be added at a later date. Apply in this thread if you consider yourself a "Zoning Master".

Zoning Characters Watch List

Kano

Noob?

Shang Tsung?

Skarlet

More characters to be added at a later date. Make suggestions in this thread.

Last edited:

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I think Johnny Cage has some strong zoning tools as well: his horizontal projectile might be one of the fastest in the game and the flip kick seems like a decent anti-air.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Isn't Kano mainly a 50/50 character? At least that is what 16 Bit said on the Kombat Kast. I know he has the move that turns his knives into mid projectiles temporarily and the laser beam (that replaces knife throw?) but that's about it. Most of the focus seems to be on his 50/50 capabilities.

Raiden seems to have zoning potential, though.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Been counting the days awaiting the rise of the MK11 Zoning Academy. I'll be here to regulate any frauds feigning loyalty and to recommend those worthy of the zoning cause.

I dunno about the other characters sliding in, but Jade should fit that character list. Seems like she has solid long range normals, many projectiles (very fast low ball, up glaive and straight, glow, etc) and I think she's the only character shown so far that doesn't have an amplified launcher. Her neutral and zoning would have to be top notch for her to be effective without a launcher.

Hype. Going to add the best zoning performance videos to the thread from tournies here after release. Like a shrine.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think Kabal, Jade and Cassie were also demonstrated to have lots of zoning potential
Good point, especially about Cassie who has a low gun shot. I think Jade's projectile are too slow. She will mostly be an anti-zoning character. Kabal has potential because of his versatility.

By the way, I like your Rain avatar. If NRS does not include Rain in Mortal Kombat 11, I will rant incessantly on forums and podcasts to the point that Deathstroke's low gun shots and the "Great Scorpion Scare" will seem nothing in comparison. Rain is consistently in the top three in polls. He must be in this game if NRS knows what is best for business. The same is accurate for Fujin.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Good point, especially about Cassie who has a low gun shot. I think Jade's projectile are too slow. She will mostly be an anti-zoning character. Kabal has potential because of his versatility.

By the way, I like your Rain avatar. If NRS does not include Rain in Mortal Kombat 11, I will rant incessantly on forums and podcasts to the point that Deathstroke's low gun shots and the "Great Scorpion Scare" will seem nothing in comparison. Rain is consistently in the top three in polls. He must be in this game if NRS knows what is best for business. The same is accurate for Fujin.
100%. Rain, Fujin and Reiko are on my wishlist

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Objectives of the Zoning Academy

1. Use Spammy-based characters as primary characters.

2. Protect zoning from anti-zoning zealots, casual gamers, and scrubs, professional players which there are contemporarily a plethora on TYM.

3. Demand buffs to zoning strategies if they are deemed not top tier.

4. Avoid using highly offensive high-exicution characters who do nothing but rush down.

5. Support zoning players in offline and online tournaments.
IFTFY :DOGE
Couldn't resist
Just kidding! :p

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Isn't Kano mainly a 50/50 character? At least that is what 16 Bit said on the Kombat Kast. I know he has the move that turns his knives into mid projectiles temporarily and the laser beam (that replaces knife throw?) but that's about it. Most of the focus seems to be on his 50/50 capabilities.

Raiden seems to have zoning potential, though.
People have been making predictions about Raiden's zoning potential since Mortal Kombat 9. He usually ends up playing the same way because NRS is very familiar with the character's general gameplay design. He tends to be a defensive character with anti-zoning tools yet limited footsies options, which is going to be a conspicuous problem in this game.

As far as Kano is concerned, I think he will be in the same category as Kabal. He may not have the best zoning in the game, but he will be adequately versatile in other aspects.

To be sincere, I doubt zoning on its own will be any effective in this game because of the poor movement and previous fiascos (i.e., pre-patch Kano in Mortal Kombat 9, Deathstroke in Injustice 1, Deadshot in Injustice 2, etc.) in NRS games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
ng

To be sincere, I doubt zoning on its own will be any effective in this game because of the poor movement and previous fiascos (i.e., pre-patch Kano in Mortal Kombat 9, Deathstroke in Injustice 1, Deadshot in Injustice 2, etc.) in NRS games.
Wouldn’t poor movement make zoning stronger? Or are you saying they’re gonna tone done the effectiveness of zoning because of the poor movement?

I hope it’s balanced, honestly. Like I hope zoning is strong, mid range game is strong, and rushdown is strong. Basically I hope you can play any type of play style you want and be successful, something for everyone.

To clarify, not saying I hope a single character can do all of that. I hope there’s strong zoners who are weaker in other areas, rushdown characters who are weaker in other areas, etc.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
On the latest kast Steve said he loves zoning. Just what the hell man. Zoning again? Haven’t you learnt from Mkx and I2 that zoning is a bad strategie?
If my character turns into a zoning bullshit I’ll be furious cause it’s a fighting game

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
On the latest kast Steve said he loves zoning. Just what the hell man. Zoning again? Haven’t you learnt from Mkx and I2 that zoning is a bad strategie?
If my character turns into a zoning bullshit I’ll be furious cause it’s a fighting game
Because of the newness of this profile I can't be certain if this is bait or not. Guess we'll see when someone takes it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Because of the newness of this profile I can't be certain if this is bait or not. Guess we'll see when someone takes it.
Has to be bait. Then again, the stuff I’ve seen people say on this site, especially recently, it could be legit. With all these casuals and scrubs running amok around here, ya never know.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I was being serious and no I’m not a scrub, I know zoning takes skill yet it’s not a part of fighting. Name FIGHTING game means people fight in close quarters. Making a character zoning heavy and helpless in close combat is more than dumb.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Are you clueless at creating and doing combos?
Are you useless defending against opponents?
Do you want not to care that there's someone else in the game trying to play?
Do you want to put the minimal effort spamming 2 moves and lie to yourself you're actually thinking when to press them so you don't feel braindead?

Then zoning is for you!

Pick a broken character and just spam the same move over and over.
Ignore anything and anyone that is in the game with you, let them sort it out.
Just walkback all day and enjoy the show.

Make sure to post on the forums that it's a legit strategy so you can sleep at night while you try to remember if your opponent was an AI, a human, or even in the game at all.

Join us now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Wouldn’t poor movement make zoning stronger? Or are you saying they’re gonna tone done the effectiveness of zoning because of the poor movement?
The latter. The perceived consensus is that the movement is poor. In reality, the trailers have already introduced lots of anti-zoning moves such as teleports, forward advancing special moves, and full screen attacks like Geras's pillar, which will regulate zoning.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
One idea I had was that anyone knowledgeable on a zoning character can create a thread with the strats and counters that work best against the zoning opponents are facing. Tag the thread here and it to the OP, having the characters all in one place. It would serve the purpose of both helping us level up with that character while also getting ahead of the curve and offering game-based solutions to people complaining they can't get around it.

Dude said zoning in MKX was too powerful. 2/10.