What's new

Strategy - Ferra/Torr The "Which Variation Should I Pick For Which Match-up?" Thread

KuralKing

Never forget The Great Ferra/Torr Scare!
I had success fighting kotal khan (war god) with gunslinger.

once you throw caltrops and get a good distance away there is nothing war god can really do. Zone him out with coin toss and sand gernade. You can shutdown his big ass jump in punch with SOS2 as well.

Gunslinger is also pretty effective against ice clones (gm sub)

MK Led

Umbasa
Just to add to the kotal kahn MU, in my experience Lackey is the best variation against Blood God. Mainly because you can really abuse his lack of armour with b12, d1, EXdb2, etc. Utilizing the projectile immunity on charge very easily against both the normal and EX pizzas (meaning you don't have to risk jumping them or armour through them and take a shit ton of damage if he has a damage buff out). This also works during the his b1 string into pizza block pressure. For b14 EX pizza, charge after b14 will get you out of the pressure for no meter and you will take no damage from the pizza as it hits during the invulnerability frames (you can do a lot of things after a blocked b14 but if you're looking to switch sides and/or not use meter, charge can come in handy) and if they're cancelling into EX pizza from b112 you can stick soak it up with the invulnerability frames, if they know what you're going for they can block before the charge hits, but the most kotal can do at this point is d1, d4 or d2. And of course having EX db2 to armour through anything for a full combo punish is very good, as he can never challenge it with armour of his own. It also helps to always have access to Lackey's 6 frame d1 make kotals 6 frame pokes less of a pain.

Edit: Now that I think about it the other two are pretty much just as good in this MU, I think I just prefer lackey for the added armour advantage. :p

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
@MadeFromMetal I think you need to make this thread more specific lol also please open up the options to talk about which variation is better against ABC variation, thanks
Will do. I'll update OP with Liu and make it variation specific today. Do you think all characters need variation specifics or just some?

MadeFromMetal

Ok, so I'll just change the titles to be variation dependent as shown with Liu and Kotal. When we get more feedback on matchups, I'll adjust the OP to fit each character. Also, when you explain a matchup, if everyone could format it like the OP so i can just copy and paste, that'd be awesome!

MadeFromMetal

Personally I've found the most success against Liu with Vicious for Dragon's Fire and Ruthless against Flame Fists. The fireball game in dragon's fire I don't even want to worry about and the low fireballs dont get hit by bowl girl so boss toss helps alot. I've found D3 to be fine for interrupting the fireball cancel gaps too. Even then we will still have D1 available if Ferra isn't on our back.

Those are my thoughts on Liu from my experience
Can you elaborate a bit on a general strategy for DF?

cR Biohazard

Team Torr
I played a bunch of matches with Red Raptors Takeda last night. I think Lackey handles the Shirai Ryu better than the other two variations mainly because Takeda has a plethora of moves that deal well with NJP and can teleport around our Ferra throws. With Lackey we can use the EX Torryuken to get through the gaps and pressure him hard in the corner. Lackey also forces us to play a better ground game which imo is needed against Shirai Ryu Takeda. Against Ronin however, Vicious is the better choice I believe. It deals well with his laser if he wants to zone you and since he can't teleport we don't have to worry as much about when we throw Ferra. If you can condition them with Ferra Projectiles it opens up for us to use NJP more or running in to start pressure. Does anyone have tips on the Sorcerer Quan Chi MU? Lackey is clearly best against Summoner but I had better luck using Vicious against Sorcerer since we don't have to worry about the bat it makes counterzoning easier. With Lackey you always have to chase down Quan and he still has decent projectiles but once he gets the Portal out our options aren't very good.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I played a bunch of matches with Red Raptors Takeda last night. I think Lackey handles the Shirai Ryu better than the other two variations mainly because Takeda has a plethora of moves that deal well with NJP and can teleport around our Ferra throws. With Lackey we can use the EX Torryuken to get through the gaps and pressure him hard in the corner. Lackey also forces us to play a better ground game which imo is needed against Shirai Ryu Takeda. Against Ronin however, Vicious is the better choice I believe. It deals well with his laser if he wants to zone you and since he can't teleport we don't have to worry as much about when we throw Ferra. If you can condition them with Ferra Projectiles it opens up for us to use NJP more or running in to start pressure. Does anyone have tips on the Sorcerer Quan Chi MU? Lackey is clearly best against Summoner but I had better luck using Vicious against Sorcerer since we don't have to worry about the bat it makes counterzoning easier. With Lackey you always have to chase down Quan and he still has decent projectiles but once he gets the Portal out our options aren't very good.
Would Ruthless work with the png cancels? I'm still new to FT so correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't u just d3/d1 into png and absorb his follow up and punish?

cR Biohazard

Team Torr
Would Ruthless work with the png cancels? I'm still new to FT so correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't u just d3/d1 into png and absorb his follow up and punish?
That doesn't work, PnG start up is too slow, you'll get poked out, plus if we get knocked down we're still screwed because doing the move into PnG wouldn't work if the Quan is pressuring you

Last edited: